This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Need help on builder clean
« on: December 23, 2006, 05:31:36 am »
At least I think that's what you call them.  There is cement and glue on the new upvc and the glass - any recommendations how to remove this? Can I use a scraper without scratching the glass?  Thank you.

Re: Need help on builder clean
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 06:53:09 am »
where abouts are you?
Have you charged enough?

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 08:14:28 am »
At least I think that's what you call them.  There is cement and glue on the new upvc and the glass - any recommendations how to remove this? Can I use a scraper without scratching the glass?  Thank you.
Perry
Correct on the name!

You can use a scraper on the glass, but keep it wet or you will scratch it, the glue could be silicon, and the quikest and easiest way I have found is with silicon remover, anything you cant get off try 000 grade wire wool,  it can also be used on the window stickers once you remove the main body with your scraper,but again keep everything wet.

These type's of Jobs can take you ages so price well for it, The first one I ever did was way under priced, I stear clear of them if I can. but if I get one there priced well. Good luck!

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 08:40:51 am »
Thks jeff.

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 08:45:31 am »
No Problem
I'm sure the other guy's will be along later,after sleeping off the affects of Alcohol  ;D they will offer more advice, so keep your eye on your post.

Merry christmas.

window wonder

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 09:28:17 pm »
Always use a new blade on your scraper, also NEVER scrape toughened glass as its softer so scratches really bad when scraped.
i use stuff called detak on glue/stickers  bacicaly glue remover i get it from a place called floorbrite near me ( small company ) no website. its 15 quid for 4.5 l.
if the glass is toughened use a sponge with the green abrasive side on it.
hope this helps
slwcn member

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 09:44:28 pm »
i have done 1000s of b/cleans. some good some a night mare. and i mean a night mare. took 35 mins to clean 1 sill
6" of crap,and all over the glass.if it is heavily soiled(on The glass) you will scratch it wat ever you do.

rosskesava

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 10:58:29 pm »
Personally, I now stay well clear of builders cleans on brand new properties unless the price is seriously high.

Like Cherubs Cleaning, we've had some serious nightmares and once had to claim on our insurance for glass that the managing company claimed wasn't scratched before we cleaned them. We were set up on that one lock, stock and barrel.

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 11:02:23 pm »
hi rosskesava,
bloodie night mare b/c. timber frame worse,brickie dont give a flying s---t.

eddie d

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 11:10:20 pm »
its been said before ,but get a disclamier that if the glass is scratched or gets scratched you  are not responseable.
ive had a firm try to claim from me for scratched glass . they didnt get anywhere but it cost me two days in wages .and i did inform the forman of the poss before doing the job.
i now avoid these jobs .

rosskesava

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 11:50:44 pm »
Also, if they're expensive places the glass can sometimes be coated and to use a scraper on that, no matter how carefully used, is a potential scratch with every little bit of cement.

The last time I tried to get the builders to sign a disclaimer they told me to f*ck off.

My advise is still to stay well clear. It only takes one jobs worth for trouble to give you a headache.

I agree with Cherubs Cleaning, brickies and plasterers don't give a flying sh*t. In fact I'm often stunned by the mess they they leave behind.

Also, sparks from when paving slabs get cut with a diamond cutter often leave serious scratches on glass if the glass is near by and sometimes I've found very small fragments of stone embedded in the glass. Try and get them off using anything available - no hope.

Pat Purcell

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 11:59:46 pm »

if the builder tells you to F<>k off then do just that , I won't touch a post construction clean without a waiver signed saying that any scratches that occur during the normal cleaning process are the responsibility of the builder or the glass manufacturer, If you educate the builder( a hopless task i know) then it may lead to alot of post construction work for a builder who takes care of the glass during the building thus making your life easier, Skip talking to the foreman, arm yourself with all the available knowledge and go right to the top
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

pjulk

Re: Need help on builder clean New
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 12:07:07 am »
I do loads of builders cleans.
To get off the glass use a new scraper blade, wet the window well, scrape upwards only once then wipe scraper clean the re-wet area and do again.

Most builders cleans have tape on the frames and sills.
It should still be there as removal of this is usually when the builders clean is done.
Pick at a corner to lift it and pull.
All cement and silicon gone in one go.

If there is no tape on the frames and sills use a plastic de-icer scraper wet cement and push down in the centre of it and it should break up.
Do not push it up or down on the frames as it will scratch the UPVC.

The silicon you should just be able to pull that off slowly but if that does not work you need a silicon remover.

This is the condition of the windows are when i get them

Also builder and property developers are terrible at paying.
I am always 4 or 5 months behind in payments.

Paul