This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

vivaro 013

water freezing on wfp
« on: December 20, 2006, 09:42:05 pm »
its my first winter using wfp, concern i have leaving windows wet and water frezzing on glass is this a problem

edd

Re: water freezing on wfp
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 10:11:58 pm »
it would do the same if it were raining so don't worry!! i use hot water which dries quicker but still leaves them wet  sometimes they can still be wet in the morning but they will always dry OK 

vivaro 013

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 07:56:50 am »
woke up this morning in the northeast  , thick fog and freezing temperture , can,t possiblly clean windows either traditional or wfp systems , hope it fog lift and temperture improve

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 03:09:22 pm »
it would do the same if it were raining so don't worry!! i use hot water which dries quicker but still leaves them wet  sometimes they can still be wet in the morning but they will always dry OK 

Doesn't hot water on windows freeze faster than cold water on windows?

This might sound strange, but I believe hot water is less-dense than cold, therefore it freezes quicker.

I saw some experiment on tv demonstrating this!

Trevor Knight

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 03:25:44 pm »
Not using "hot" water I don't know the answer to this, however, my question is this?

If you use hot water on a frozen or very cold window would it not crack the glass like using hot water on a frozen car windscreen?
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

cleaning co

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 04:08:17 pm »
APART FROM BEING BIT THICK LOL  IVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD THIS IS IT JUST A MYTH?   SURELY GLASS IS JUST GLASS AND DONT IT SELF FREEZE ? ITS JUST WATER ON THE GLASS THAT FREEZE SO Y WOULD IT CRACK THE GLASS ?      ANSWERS FROM MORE INTELL PEOPLE THAN ME OK LOL

twt

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 04:18:25 pm »
when the there is ice on glass the temperature of the glass is low, suddenly putting hot water on the glass heats it quickly causing it to expand and possibly crack. the reverse of the can be seen if a very hot dish is taken out of the oven and put in cold water the dish contracts and can crack i have personally seen this happen. So in conclusion rapidly altering the temperature of some materials can cause them to break.
Thats the end of this weeks lession, next week we will learn how to turn caps off and stop shouting. ;)

cleaning co

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 04:27:00 pm »
lol sorry bout the caps  ;D

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 04:45:07 pm »
will not freeze on windows as most homes have central heating  it will only freeze on the pavement

jeff1

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 05:19:01 pm »
APART FROM BEING BIT THICK LOL  IVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD THIS IS IT JUST A MYTH?   SURELY GLASS IS JUST GLASS AND DONT IT SELF FREEZE ? ITS JUST WATER ON THE GLASS THAT FREEZE SO Y WOULD IT CRACK THE GLASS ?      ANSWERS FROM MORE INTELL PEOPLE THAN ME OK LOL
Its called thermal shock, Try it with a glass at home, put in very cold water the Quickly  dip it in hot? Tell us what happens ;D

cleaning co

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 05:47:09 pm »
can i drink the beer first?

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 06:15:19 pm »
can i drink the beer first?
;D ;D at least it won't freeze ;D ;D

edd

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 06:20:31 pm »
ive got a thermostat on my reg to 30 deg when its cold and yes i have broken windows
when it was a standard system

Trevor Knight

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 07:00:25 pm »
will not freeze on windows as most homes have central heating  it will only freeze on the pavement
I have cleaned windows on conservatories that sometimes DON'T have central heating and the applicator has frozen on the glass, this is what I mean by hot onto cold glass?
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

EasyClean

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 09:08:55 pm »
On a cold day I'll use hot water on double glazed windows BUT only warm or tepid water on large, single glazed wooden framed sash windows, etc, especially careful if I'm cleaning a very old building with 'old' single glazed glass as it's very easy to crack using hot water on a very cold morning!!!!!
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 05:37:38 am »
Just wondering if it matters too much if WFP water freezes on the glass anyway.  Surely it goes on the glass as pure water and thaws out as pure water?  Or does the extra time it is attached to the glass mean that it has more time to absorb impurities from the atmosphere?

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 07:50:41 am »
It freezes before you get a chance to scrub and encapsulates the dirt. So the glass eventually dries dirty.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 04:49:43 pm »
It freezes before you get a chance to scrub and encapsulates the dirt. So the glass eventually dries dirty.

Yes that would make sense Jeff.  When I've had this problem with trad cleaning it freezes pretty quickly - certainly before I've squeegeed all the liquid off the glass (obviously because I wouldn't notice otherwise  :)  ) .
I think my question was definitely a 5.30 AM one (brainless)  :)

sussex187

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 06:24:34 pm »
what do u wfp guys do about freezing pavements surely this is an issue for your customers or do you just give them the heads up to be careful if they r in?

Ian_Giles

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006, 06:41:17 pm »
Water is more likely to freeze on modern double glazed units than on old fashioned single glazing.
Providing the temperature is cold enough of course.

On single glazing the warmth from inside the building is easily transmitted through the glass, on double glazing obviously the insulating effect works both ways, therefore the heat from the building doesn't get through to the outer layer of glass, ergo, if cold enough, water will then freeze.

But even when it does happen, it is most usually very early in the morning, and boy, does it have to be cold for that to happen! :o

Water freezing on the pavement is easily dealt with.

When the temp gets down that low, I carry a container of road salt in the back of the van.
You don't need shovelfulls of the stuff, you throw it out very thinly.
And its best to do it before you start spraying the water about too!

Squeaks reckons pedestrians will slip on the gravel in it, but I'd love to see him prove that.
It gives you more grip, not less.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES