This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jeff1

Yesterday I did my first customer by wfp for payment, Now this customer's house is on a main road, and they were filthy from traffic, she has been looking forward to me doing the job with wfp since I told her about it some months back.

Now doing the job by ladder was dangerous due to slippy upvc, so I was quite looking forward to it myself, I had my hi-vis coat on, as the pavement is narrow and I had to stand on the road to clean it, Now I found the Traffic very courteous knowing I was working in the road and I had no problems with the traffic.
what I did have problems with, was the pedestrians, they were a complete pain in the a**e and it was them who made the job take that much longer, instead of crossing over the narrow road they insisted in walking under neath? I was tempted on several occasions to get them wet but had second thoughts.

Finished the job and was chatting to the customer about wfp work, and she seemed happy with the job paid up with an extra £5 for Christmas.

I asked her to email me with the results, and to day I had the email and this is the email results.

Hi Jeff
Checked the windows today, and apart from a couple of dirty run marks upstairs in the center of the office window, the results of the initial clean were excellent, and must say the cleanest I have seen them. (no reflection on your previous work, I might add) the downstairs windows I checked and on first inspection thought you had removed them.

They took a while to dry in this weather, so I left them until today to check them. Lets hope the the second part of your letter works, in that they will stay cleaner longer.
Overall I am very pleased with the results.

Thank you for all your hard work through out the year. Steve and I would like to wish you and Lynne a very merry Chrismas and a prosperous new year.

Alex Greenslade

I think the runs on the office windows were due to lack of rinsing of the overhead vents these get very dirty. I did take note of past posts about rinse rinse rinse, but I obviously didn't rinse that one enough.
Got another one to do tomorrow, so will give the extra rinse to this one, she's my biggest Christmas tipper, so got to do a proper Job.

Templar

Re: Did my first wfp work yesterday for payment
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 09:07:35 pm »
What equipment/pole/water treatment spec did you settle for in the end? I know you put a lot of thought into best managing this changover so I would be very interested in your answers.

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 09:16:47 pm »
What equipment/pole/water treatment spec did you settle for in the end? I know you put a lot of thought into best managing this changover so I would be very interested in your answers.

I have a 200 gpd ro-unit, with a DI unit at home and I have a 250ltr tank for my Trailer, I already had a selection of unger poles, but added a 24' pole with the new vikan brush. 100 psi surflo pump with varistream, and for all the akward ones, I have a backpack.
I went for the 100 mtrs of microbore hose on a metal reel.

so far I have only used the backpack side of it.

matt

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 09:26:52 pm »
i still get the odd dirty water run, even afterall all this time, sometimes you do get the odd few spots

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 09:33:13 pm »
i still get the odd dirty water run, even afterall all this time, sometimes you do get the odd few spots
Hi Matt

I do think in my case it was a lack of rinsing, if you can imagine windows on a busy main road  and a narrow one at  that, these windows get filthy, and even when I was doing it by ladder I used to wipe all the frames including the top.

But I am pleased to see that even the experts can still get this problem, it does make me feel a little bit happier  ;D

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 09:38:30 pm »
Experts.. rinse and rinse again if your not sure it dosent hurt that way you know you wont get any (runs) .

Bazzy1999

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 09:39:57 pm »
Keep us posted on how you get on coz im changing over in the new year and im interested how poeple get on with WFP the 1st and 2nd time round..
What i would like to see is a closeup picture of before and after clean and when its dry if anyone has any..

Bazz.....

jeff1

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 10:27:55 pm »
Keep us posted on how you get on coz im changing over in the new year and im interested how poeple get on with WFP the 1st and 2nd time round..
What i would like to see is a closeup picture of before and after clean and when its dry if anyone has any..

Bazz.....

I'm doing another one tomorrow, so I will take the camera with me.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 10:33:43 pm »
Jeff

dont draw to much attention to it with the customers.

Act confident and the customers will show confidence in you.

After all they will think "well he wouldnt be using it if it dindn't work"

If you highlight the wfp shortfalls they will go looking for problems

Dave

matt

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 10:56:48 pm »
Hi Matt

I do think in my case it was a lack of rinsing, if you can imagine windows on a busy main road  and a narrow one at  that, these windows get filthy, and even when I was doing it by ladder I used to wipe all the frames including the top.

But I am pleased to see that even the experts can still get this problem, it does make me feel a little bit happier  ;D

yes jeff, your right, its all about the rinse

though saying that, sometimes its a mystery where it comes from, and i mean that, i do a few houses inside aswell, for months they will be spotless and truely gleam, then you get a run of dirty water from nowhere and a series of 4 small spots in a line (all cleaned at 6 weeks) now where does it come from ?? ?? ??

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 01:11:59 am »

<SNIP>

I think the runs on the office windows were due to lack of rinsing of the overhead vents these get very dirty. I did take note of past posts about rinse rinse rinse, but I obviously didn't rinse that one enough.
Got another one to do tomorrow, so will give the extra rinse to this one, she's my biggest Christmas tipper, so got to do a proper Job.

I did something different recently on a new job.  It was a pretty dirty first clean in a fairly high pollution area and the windows had vents on.  As the job is local to where I live, I decided to clean up all the vents as well (I normally leave them well alone) and do the first clean over two visits a couple of days apart.  This gave plenty of time for any dirty water to run out of the vents before doing the glass only clean.  Upon inspection, I could find nothing wrong with the job.  There may be an issue as dirt starts to build up on top of the vents again but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.  Maybe a dry brushing every few visits before starting the cleaning proper will do it.

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 06:40:54 am »
Some very good tips there guy's,

Dry brush, leave vents aloan and don't draw attention, from dave is a good one,

This paticular customer was looking forward to me wfp her windows, and was out watching me, but I do get on very well with her and her husband, so I didn't mind asking her to point out any errors in the Job I had just done. but thats a rare treat and no other customers will have attention drawn to it.

I did take on boared the tips I had some time back before changing over, and that was to give all the frames a good cleaning, I always cleaned frames, but I took extra cara on cleaning the tops of the frames, but like Matt said were does it come from?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 07:20:23 am »

This paticular customer was looking forward to me wfp her windows, and was out watching me, but I do get on very well with her and her husband, so I didn't mind asking her to point out any errors in the Job I had just done. but thats a rare treat and no other customers will have attention drawn to it.

I did take on boared the tips I had some time back before changing over, and that was to give all the frames a good cleaning, I always cleaned frames, but I took extra cara on cleaning the tops of the frames, but like Matt said were does it come from?

Another point about something that you raised earlier too Jeff.  You say that you could not do the job from a ladder due to slippery UPVC (I assume you mean the ladder slipping sideways on the sills).  Ladder mitts are ideal for preventing such slipping.

s.hughes

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 08:42:01 am »
I always thought the idea was that we left the vents completly. The have loads of built up dirt and water can get inside if we cleaned them

Steve

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 08:58:55 am »
I always thought the idea was that we left the vents completly. The have loads of built up dirt and water can get inside if we cleaned them

Steve

Yes that's what I normally do.  I only did it differently because I knew I would be returning after a couple of days to do a glass only clean to catch anything that ran down from the vents.
I know I mentioned the possibility of "dry" brushing the tops of the vents on some future visits but I may well not bother about it.  I haven't decided yet.

jeff1

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 09:11:57 am »

Another point about something that you raised earlier too Jeff.  You say that you could not do the job from a ladder due to slippery UPVC (I assume you mean the ladder slipping sideways on the sills).  Ladder mitts are ideal for preventing such slipping.

I know what you mean about the mitts, but I never really bothered because there were usually two of us. But it was brilliant not having to go up the ladder to clean this paticular one. it was one of those type of window bays were you had to stretch just that little extra to get to the top, and it was this that made it viable to have someone hold the ladder and not just foot it.
Never again will I have to worry about doing it off ladders. and I did it on my own this time ;D

john tomkins

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 09:12:24 am »

Steve

The vents on the windows I do are that close to the glass thats it's almost impossible to not hit them with the bristles of the brush (upstairs particulary) so I've now gone to cleaning them along with the frame,  fingers crossed so far no complaints of runs.

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 09:37:14 am »
Jeff,

Good to hear you're getting on well with your WFP.
Also good to hear you have a good relationship with your customers.
I find honesty is the best way through learning WFP.  On the other hand be positive about it with your customers. Explain that any "problems" you have a remedy for and after a few months you will have learnt the skills to avoid them.

On the down side:
Some DONT LIKE IT WET!
you WILL loose 1 or 2 because of that and theres nothing you can do about it.

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

Count Phil

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 12:18:46 pm »
Just a tip I find on filthy ones by roads. It doesn't hurt to dip the brush in a bucket of fairy that you use to do trad. If you don't leave it do dry and really rinse well it's fine and really gets the dirt well, much better than just water.

I also do this on first cleans. You do have to rinse really well though to get residue off, but it really gets dirt out of cracks. Only for really dirty windows though.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 12:48:06 pm »
Have you tried doing the same with gg3/4 ?