This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

john green

early start
« on: December 16, 2006, 07:15:13 pm »
I start 4 days aweek between 5.00-5.30 ,,thats a.m by the way ( some think 5 o'clock happens only once a day around tea time !)I do this to miss the crowds on the high st, saving me time moving bikes and prams etc,,,,but how do other wfp'ers manage with freezing conditions,if not on the glass certainly with water freezing  on the pavements,,,,, tell us ya tips guys !(apart from starting later in the day)

TVCS

Re: early start
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 07:24:35 pm »
I dont do shop fronts but on occasions when I have freezing water on pavements and pathways I put down a little road salt from out of the yellow boxes on side of the roads.  I keep a bucket of this in the van and bobs your uncle.
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

S.A.J

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 07:58:43 pm »
I put down a little road salt from out of the yellow boxes on side of the roads.  I keep a bucket of this in the van and bobs your uncle.

Exactly what i do ;D 

Stuart
SAJ Window Cleaners Ltd

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 08:02:46 pm »
Tut loudly and blame another window cleaner   ;)
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

rs_cleancare

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 09:05:11 pm »
MSL ;D

JM123

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 02:19:08 am »
I carry a bag of industrial road salt stuff, a neighbour gets it for me, it's £480 for a 20kilo bag. He gets it free from his work, about 5kg at a time.  1 kg apparently covers 50/60sq metres or so.  Brilliant stuff, very fine, like flour, half a handfull does 2 semi's (just around the windows obviously).
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

john green

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 09:23:30 am »
your mate who gets you the salt,,,,do you think he would like to be my mate too???thanks for info ;)

JM123

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 06:39:52 pm »
where are you based?  I'm in Northern Ireland but might be able to send you some in the post.  Only prob is cutoms might think its cocaine and the post office might think its Anthrax!!
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

john green

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 08:27:43 pm »
I think I'll give it a miss,ta very much!!

Jack Avery

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 02:35:45 pm »
Hello John

I`ve given your problems some thought and think these suggestions may be helpful.
1. Have you thought of putting a trailer behind youyr vehicle? You could hire a couple of small space heaters (one for each end of the shop) of course if its a long shop you may need three and a larger trailer. Keep your gas cylinder down to 10kg a 47 kg may be to large. 
2. This is really neat! A 12v to 230v inverter with an adapter to plug into your cigarette lighter. Then and this is the clever bit buy a couple of fan heaters ( £9:99 each) they must have frost stats in case you make a mistake with the temperature. I mean theres no point in running the heaters if it not freezing.
Also with idea 2. you could get away with carrying the extra equipment in the car.
With regard to bikes and prams you could go around the evening before and put signs up indicating that essential maintenance work is going to take place and kindly please do not be obstructive. But I`m sure you may have already thought of that one.
Be "led by a solution and not driven by a problem" this forum will always come up with helpful and constructive advice that works! 
Jack

john green

Re: early start New
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 06:55:15 pm »
Its clear Jack you have given this a lot of thought,,maybe even the odd prayer or two,,so thank you very much. I tried the space heaters but had them set on too high a setting resulting in one shop front with a cracked pane and the other had a UPVC frame start to melt,,at least I was able to still work in me shorts though,,,,off to Argos tomorrow to get me fans ( with frost stats )ta very much chuck   ( hows the back ? ::) )!!!