This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Davew

How much work is out there?
« on: December 16, 2006, 04:53:17 pm »
I'm looking to join the trade and have been told by established cleaners that there is more than enough work to go round. Is this true? anyone struggling to pick up work? I'm thinking of looking at wfp work in Bath Avon - as many properties are three story there but am rather worried about getting trained and geared up to jump ship from my depressing shift work (although well paid) only to find I have made the biggest mistake of my life.

Re: How much work is out there?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 04:58:17 pm »
Dave,

There's plenty of work out there, but it's difficult to get it when you first start up.  Or at least it's difficult to get a compact run of work, or well priced stand-alone work.  As your business grows, it seems to have a snow-ball effect.

But, if you've a family and real financial comittments, I'd be careful giving up your security.

I once sold on some work to a local guy who must've put his family through turmoil (big loan to buy a massive round (not from me)), only to bin it six months later and go back to his old job.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 05:12:58 pm »
Do you know any w/c's,  DaveW?

Have you ever been self-employed? Why does w/c appeal? How old and healthy are you? What's your pension situation like? Any dependants? Any dosh behind you? Thinking on these things will help you make a decision.

We can help. Been there done that! Ask away! :)
It's a game of three halves!

Davew

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 05:16:43 pm »
Could he not sell it on again or did he pay too much in the first place? What forces people to give up? To much graft, not enough work? or money too low?

pjulk

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 05:20:40 pm »
It will take a while to build up a good round.
And there's the rainy days, Windy days, Snow.

And i agree with tosh its hard when you first start.
Do you have any spare days like a saturday so you can start to build your round up but still have you income from the job you are in now.

Many start window cleaning thinking its easy money.
Then i think over half of them pack up within 6 months some after a couple of months.

Paul

pjulk

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 05:24:24 pm »
What forces people to give up? To much graft, not enough work? or money too low?

People think window cleaning is easy.
When you first start you will ache in places you never knew.
Its not as easy as we make it look.

A lot of people struggle to make enough money when they first start also so end up packing it in.

Paul

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 05:26:55 pm »
Could he not sell it on again or did he pay too much in the first place? What forces people to give up? To much graft, not enough work? or money too low?

They guy I sold a little bit of work onto just dumped that work, because I had the customers wanting me back.  I'm not sure if he sold on the other stuff he'd recently bought; but I don't think he did.

I think this guy had read too many posts of high earnings here, thought he was a bright hard-working guy; but then found it was far tougher than he thought.  He went back to his old job with was Head Gardener of a local five star hotel.

I think it was a combination of high expectations and a lack of experience, when he needed it the most (at the beginning) stuffed him.

I'd keep your present job and build a small part-time round, around your present occupation.

You may find out, like many others do, that window cleaning is not for you.

I hope I'm not being overly negative; I'm not; but I'd hate you to have a rosy idea of what window cleaning is like from the posts you read here.

Davew

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 05:32:48 pm »
Malc, fairly old,pretty fit got some dosh, facing redundancy or divorce if I can't get away from nightshifts. It's really starting to make me unstable. So usual thing need fresh air regular hours away from factory life and a change. Still employed at the moment so I intend to try and build it up in my spare time to start with but its still pretty daunting especially every time I spot another cleaning van.

Davew

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 05:37:50 pm »
Tosh I don't have any rosy specs and I'm sure it won't be easy and if I believed the figures some manufacturers have quoted me I would need to start an offshore account to stash my mega earnings away! So i'm relying on you guys to tell it like it really is.

pjulk

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 05:40:21 pm »
You can always get a round built for you.
But it would cost you 2x.
IE -  £1000 per month of work would cost you £2000.

Good thing about this is you have the work straight away and money coming in.

A company called doorknockers does this.

Paul

tatman

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 05:44:04 pm »
 ;D

tatman

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 05:44:59 pm »
loads of work in certain area get out and canvass you might hit the jackpot mate ;D

Davew

Doorknockers
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 05:45:39 pm »
Thanks Pual, yes I've seen some threads on that- anyone here used them? Did the rounds last or were they one clean only?.How many domestics do most of you need for say a five week turnaround working as a sole cleaner or is that a rather probing question?

tatman

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 05:46:42 pm »
why pay someone knock the doors yourself set your own prices  ;)

Davew

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 05:49:57 pm »
Mmm perhaps doorknocking is the job to be in - couple of grand for a couple of days work??

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 05:55:05 pm »
If you can buy an established round, that would be better than a newly canvassed round.  Even better if it's been serviced with a WFP, since you're starting off this way.

Davew

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2006, 05:59:38 pm »
Looks like I would have to do an absolute minimum fifteen houses a day at the lowest rate is this normal? I'm hoping to combine with Patio jetwashing and conservatory cleans but again investment in equipment rises dramatically.

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2006, 06:11:31 pm »
I'm looking to join the trade and have been told by established cleaners that there is more than enough work to go round. Is this true? anyone struggling to pick up work? I'm thinking of looking at wfp work in Bath Avon - as many properties are three story there but am rather worried about getting trained and geared up to jump ship from my depressing shift work (although well paid) only to find I have made the biggest mistake of my life.
the answer to your question dave is simple YES
if you are prepared to go for it
the other day 1 of the guys who works for me (a very good canvasser) picked up £150 worth of new work with only 2 hours knocking
you only get back what you put into it!
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

dai

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 08:05:31 pm »
I'd keep your present job and build a small part-time round, around your present occupation.

That is the best advice. You already have the advantage of working shifts. I know a bloke that built a very lucrative round that way.
He would be out in the morning before starting at 2pm. He would get up during the day when he was on nights and grab a couple of hours more kip before going to work.
It's much easier for a shift worker. Dai

Davew

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2006, 08:13:07 pm »
Umm Tax?