This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Davew

DI system in hard water areas
« on: December 14, 2006, 12:53:56 pm »
Is it possible to use one of these with hard water? I'm looking at a vehicle mounted system with DI only. Can a water softener be fitted to solve the problem? Ideally an RO unit would be better or maybe a static supply but I have neither the money or space in my garage.

matt

Re: DI system in hard water areas
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 01:16:07 pm »
you would be better off having a RO unit in a shed / garage with a water tank in that, 400 L tanks are not that big

the RO will do the work, then you can DI it out of the van tank

job done

it would be VERY expensive to use just DI in a hard water area

cybersye

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 01:18:28 pm »
It is possible, but if you are in a hard water area with high tds then its not commercially viable, you'll be spending out every few weeks on resin. "have neither the money or space in the garage"? I live in a first floor studio flat and have found space in a cupboard for a merlin ro and 240 ltr wheelie bin. Proof that you can do it on a budget of a few hundred quid. Cant advise on water softener although I understand they are quite costly to buy, compared to a basic ro. If you really hav'nt got the space I'd consider going for a merlin in the van, you can top up through the day then if need be.
Regards
Simon

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 04:32:11 pm »
Think like this

in a hard water area you will need a 25ltr resin cylinder because anything smaller wont last.

If you use di alone it will cost you an absolute fortune in resin because you will need 2 di cylinders. One to bring the water down to at least 100 then another to bring it down to 000. If you use only one di you will get through £70+ of resin within weeks so you could end up using £300-400 of resin in a couple of months.

I use a merlin which you can now pick up for £200-£250 and the maintaince costs are small in comparison.

Plus the downside with di only you have to keep ordering resin,wait for it to arrive and keep emptying over and over.

H h20

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 04:38:06 pm »
Very wise words from Easyclean,i also use a Merlin my tap tds is about 315 and im still on my first bag of resin over 18 months of use still on 00 tds  ;D,Gaz

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 04:47:15 pm »
i agree. i also use a merlin .

Filllllll

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 06:48:52 am »
My water is 430 tds.When I first started there was a delay in my RO unit coming and so used just resin.
DON'T DO IT!!  So expensive.My 25 L resin would last onlt 4days!!

I use a merlin too,much better.If you don,t have room for a storage tank do what I do & filter straight into the tank on your van.

Filllllll