This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

craig jwc

Been asked for Interview by local reporter
« on: December 11, 2006, 12:38:55 am »
I was called the otherday about cleaning someones windows.
I told them that i was fully booked until after Xmas and could give a number for a local w/c who might be able to help.
I explained unlike myself the guy i could refer her to was a traditional cleaner.
Cutting a long story short she has asked me to call her after Xmas to clean her windows but also she wants to Interview me about the WFP (she works for a local Tv station).
I explained about the safety side about it and how there's new working at height regs etc, but she wants to know about the reasons etc about this change.
If it comes about where can i get the proper info about all this including some figures etc on Accidents and Deaths etc cause by working at height.
I want to be able to answer properly and not make a complete prat of myself.
Like i said nothing might come of it, but just incase as i can see it could be good for my business getting view on my local tv station

Craig

EasyClean

Re: Been asked for Interview by local reporter
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 02:43:28 am »
Don't tell them how much water you could possibly really use otherwise South West Water will be wanting to put you on a meter along with all the other window cleaners. The Federation of Window Cleaners along with Professional window Cleaner and a few others defended our case for using WFP when various water companies wanted to ban us from using WFP because of their lack of competance in ensuring we had plentiful water reservoirs because of old leaking pipes, etc.
Also, be cautious about bragging how much money and how quickly you can clean customers houses now that you use WFP as I'm sure the taxman along with many of your customers will be watching too!!! Jealousy is a funny thing!
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

macc

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 08:42:17 am »
Hi Craig.

I would stay well clear. As easy has pointed out you will say things about your earnings & how quick it is etc. They will go away & edit it & the next thing you know its on the local tv. You only work 3hrs a day & earn 100k a year.

Your customers could get pi55ed off thinking your ripping them off & you could have the Tax Man thinking your on 150k.

Macc

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 09:14:13 am »
Craig,

I'd do it.  It could be some good advertising for you.  Make sure you push the health and safety angle with regards to the Working at Height Directive; so make sure you know the regulation inside and out.

Also quote stuff like, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine, citing stuff like, 'Window cleaners should no longer be just plonking their ladders up against walls and climbing them'.

Working at height is a last resort etc.

Cite some recent court cases where companies have been fined when their window cleaners have fallen and had to pay big bucks out.

;D

DASERVICES

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 09:39:55 am »
Craig speak to Craig Mowlan from Ionics he will give you loads of tips on WFP and safety etc..

Doug

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 09:50:20 am »
Don't tell them how much water you could possibly really use otherwise South West Water will be wanting to put you on a meter along with all the other window cleaners.

beleive it or not if you are on a meter you will be better of with your water usage.

The Federation of Window Cleaners along with Professional window Cleaner and a few others defended our case for using WFP when various water companies wanted to ban us from using WFP because of their lack of competance in ensuring we had plentiful water reservoirs because of old leaking pipes, etc./quote]

No window cleaners in this counrty were banned from using water as it was proven to be essential for our business.Only non essential business were stopped from using exessive water.

Also, be cautious about bragging how much money and how quickly you can clean customers houses now that you use WFP as I'm sure the taxman along with many of your customers will be watching too!!! Jealousy is a funny thing!

If you have any customers that moan and whine about how much money you earn from builing a window cleaning business then they are not worth keeping. What do they think you do clean 10 houses amonth. Are you builing a business or a window cleaning round?

poleman

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 11:09:53 am »
YES go for it, but get it right and get your point across, and do some good for the industry and your business - we are counting on you  ;D

Andy 

RO-Sheen

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 11:26:50 am »
Ask her for the questions before the interview so you can prepare and rehearse your answers. this would be better for the interviewer too as she would get more 'quality' answers and wont haveto edit out as much dribble.

Good luck - This could potentially be a great advertising oppertunity. Dont boast about how successful your biz is but make sure you mention all of the benefits to the customers
Formerly known as GARGAAX

mgba_78

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 11:45:08 am »
i wouldnt do it, you know how reporters can turn it around and make you look bad, incompetent etc etc

Could ruin your business if your not careful then again could be excellent advertising, i would say not worth the risk.

Andy
Oooooo that is shiny!!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 04:56:33 pm »
I'll give you a possible scenario:

MissTV: (Simpering coquettishly at camera) Well, here we are in Newton Abbott with Craig from Jellyfish window cleaning! Tell me Craig, all about your big pole!

CraigJWC:(Colouring up all red) It's a 35ft extender and I've been trained to use it.

MissTV: (Slightly dismissively and turning into a female version of Paxo) I'm sure you can use it well but what's all this about making thousands of gallons of water from a domestic water supply and not telling the water company?

CraigJWC:(All embarrassed) Ooh... errr... um...

MissTV: (Now turning into a rottweiler with lipstick) And what's more there's been a drought as well!

CraigJWC: (Protesting) Well it's the wettest drought in history ...

MissTV: (On her high horse on the highest of moral ground) So the law doesn't apply to you then ... ...

CraigJWC: (Completely stuffed) I'm a really nice guy ... honest.

MissTV: (Turning her back on a discomfited Craig) So there you have it, a dole dodging, scrounging, jellyfish-abusing bogbrush wielding excuse for a window cleaner. Now its over to our correspondent in Chepstow who's going to tell you all about proper window cleaning in her interview with Mr. Roger Squeaky Clean.

MsTV in Chepstow:(Looking coquettishly at the camera) My what a big triple extender you have Mr. Squeaky, tell me all about it ...

Squeaky (for it is he) Well. ma'am it's wood of course with hi-grip rubbers on the end. You can climb on it if you like.

MsTV in Cheppers: (Turning into a rottweiler with lipstick) I'm sure I could, but how do you feel about going totally against the WAHD and putting lives at risk... what if you fell on a baby!?

And so it goes ... ...

Stay away from the telly!

;D

It's a game of three halves!

mark dew

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 05:48:54 pm »
Stay away from the telly!

I agree.
You've got no control over the story or its direction.
But if all your answers return to H&S issues and the law you could look good.
Good luck

Templar

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 08:36:41 pm »
Do it. You seem sensible and articulate. Your Jellyfish thing makes you seem imaginative and interesting.
I'm sure she'll be just as interested in how your kids came up with the idea as anything else. The hardest thing will be the science of how pure water works.

The other posters are right about bragging, taxman etc, but I don't think you'd fall into that trap anyway. Show some backbone man, what are you a jellyfish!

craig jwc

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 09:03:53 pm »
Cheers for they replies guys

If anything comes of it there is no way i would say anything about earnings etc.
I can see everything that everyone has mentioned - the For's & Against's.

I'll just see what happens after xmas.

Craig

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 09:13:04 pm »
i wouldnt do it, you know how reporters can turn it around and make you look bad, incompetent etc etc

Could ruin your business if your not careful then again could be excellent advertising, i would say not worth the risk.

Andy
come on you orns.draw/draw/draw/draw

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 09:15:00 pm »
andy i clean ben fosters windows :P
come on you orns

DaveWilkinson

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 08:56:18 am »
Nice for future ads " as seen on tv " :)