This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Fast 1 *

Re: Business People - Or just Window Cleaners?
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 11:10:44 pm »
Matt.

Sorry to hear about that

In a nutshell I had to get disciplined and determined to expand to the stage where others could keep me going. Also I took out any insurances that I could find. It may sound cynical about others keeping me but in reallity it doesnt have to be as hard headed and uncaring as it sounds. It IS possible to do this ethically and with decent morals despite the stereotypical image.

Within a year of getting back to work I had 3 employees and things grew from there. So now if I should get crocked my business will still provide me with a good living. People skills are very important and the one big piece of advice is to find someone who is 2nd in command who runs the business from day to day. A general manager for want of better words.

It takes a whole lot of hard work and determination to achieve and not everyone is cut out for it. They are not inferior in any way its just a fact of life.

I am no typical "high flyer" type. I left school with no qualifications.  I've learned from the school of hard knocks. I guess its in my personality to set goals and work until they are achieved.

I'm rambling now so I will leave it at that.

Rich
I would like to be in that position.fair play to ya
wildstyles

DASERVICES

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 11:24:29 pm »
I had an experience today whilst cleaning windows, out comes the next door neighbour and says can you do mine. My first thoughts its the Crimbo period not going to get caught again for a one off clean.

So start adding windows come up with a price of £18 to make it high, see the old girl wave in the window and think oops too high as they are old need to drop it. Quoted £14 and she took it.

Later she says popping off the hubby will pay, out comes the spanking new Mercedes. She then says do it regular, after finishing the husband says thank you we will call you when we need it done next time.

I've been done again, if I had my business head it should have been £18 but being kind hearted a big fault I've got cheated.

Same again in the pub, landlord asked for quote on pub. Knowing him I want to quote low but being business like it should be high.

I can be business like on people I do not know , but when it comes to old people and who I know it goes out the window.

Doug

Extremeclean

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 11:32:30 pm »
Its all about motivation really.

Mine?  Never to lose everything I have again. Never to actually go hungry and watch loved ones do the same. If you dont think it can happen to you. You are kidding yourself unless you are protected properly. It's all well and good to say "I can work when I want" or "Its the easy going lifestyle"

Sorry if this ruffles a few feathers. Its not inteneded to. I went through a very bad time because my attitude was the same. never again!!!

Rich.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 11:37:12 pm »
I admit,im far from a great business man,but then i dont want to be.Im too generous,and possess a conscience
Well said Fasty, a decent chap. ;)

Me too.

Fast 1 *

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 11:40:26 pm »
 ;) very kind sir
wildstyles

Art

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2006, 11:48:10 pm »
I admit,im far from a great business man,but then i dont want to be.Im too generous,and possess a conscience
Well said Fasty, a decent chap. ;)

Me too.

I'm assuming that you two are joking?

To be a succesful businessman you've got to be hard nosed and ruthless.
Do you honestly think that your customers give a monkeys if you can pay your motgage, provide for your kids, pay your bills etc...

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006, 12:17:01 am »

Do you honestly think that your customers give a monkeys if you can pay your motgage, provide for your kids, pay your bills etc...
Not at all.
It's not that sort of business.
It's a an honest working class profession.

I despise hard nosed ruthless people.
They're the ones who drive like inconsiderate numptys, and never thank anyone for anything.

Why not go to work in a suit if that's their attitude?

Art

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2006, 12:28:20 am »

Not at all.

They're the ones who drive like inconsiderate numptys, and never thank anyone for anything.

Sorry Rog, my post was meant to be helpful. I didn't expect to get abuse.

Ok i'll put it another way, if you haven't got the numpty attitude, good luck and i sincerely hope your window clenaing round gives you a good standard of life.

Arthur

WavieDavie

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2006, 12:42:33 am »

Exactly.

Anyone who thinks their customers give a 4X should ask themselves how many clients come round to pay them when they haven't turned up because they're running late.

When anybody mumps that I'm late, normally because of bad weather, I ask them what happened to my get well card! In a jokey fashion of course, but the message sometimes gets across.
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Fast 1 *

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2006, 12:43:07 am »
I have worked for Very wealthy businessmen,and they all have been arrogant,inconsiderate,rude,tight fisted bell ends.Maybe i have been unlucky on the ones i have met.It is just their out and out greed,and thirst for power that does my head in.These people are thick skinned,and overly obsessed with money,to the point of neglecting what really is important in their lives.I think you need a balance

By the way i am talking about real money men
wildstyles

Art

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2006, 12:54:18 am »
Well Gerry there you've said it " real money men" be honest, wouldn't you like to be in there position with all off what they've got?

Going into business for yourself surely means you want to make as much money as is humanly possible?

Fast 1 *

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2006, 01:03:05 am »
Yes i do mate,but i dont like taking the mick out of people,like some employers do to their employees.Im just too soft.There is a part of me that wants to eventually have people doing the work for me,but it doesnt dominate my thoughts like it does some.Some people judge a man on what he earns,or what motor he drives etc etc.Ive never really been like that.Dont get me wrong,i do like a bit of luxury here and there,but my main concern is my happiness
wildstyles

WavieDavie

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2006, 01:13:06 am »
Well Gerry there you've said it " real money men" be honest, wouldn't you like to be in there position with all off what they've got?
With only two employees, I've carved out quite a nice life for myself.  I have to say that the majority of "real money men" that I've met have definitely got the blinkers on - long hours at work, maybe 6 or 7 days a week and anything outside of that is a distraction. The wife they seem to have picked up along the way runs the "hotel", and any kids get in the way of the telly if they're trying to relax with a 24hr news channel.

Going into business for yourself surely means you want to make as much money as is humanly possible?
See above. I'm comfy now, and because any excess funds haven't been pee'd up against a wall, I'm more than comfy for the future. But part of that was being in the right place at the right time, realising it, and being able to do something about it.
There are always pluses and minuses - because of the frequency of the work, I can't take as much time off as I'd really like. But come the revolution . . .
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

texas girl

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2006, 04:06:14 am »
Hey, my experience has lead me down the road of being a one person window cleaner to a business person with 5 workers.
I say workers because I sub out my accounts; (about 300).

I resorted to hiring people when I developed tendinitis(tennis elbow) in both arms. Really did not have a choice. I did cortisone shots, arm bands, exercises, etc. It finally got really bad and I started slowly hiring help.

Once you go in this direction you really can't turn back. Management is a full time job. When you do clean windows you have 2 jobs and the management part suffers if you become a laborer again for long.

Boy am I glad I did this about 10 years ago because when my son died I crawled into a mental cave for at least 6 months. Could not work.

Thank God I had a decent staff at that time because I floated along financially OK.

I too learned everything about business from the school of hard knocks because my education was in the teaching field.

Never did teach. Began window cleaning to help a friend; liked it and never looked back. 

From time to time I have thought what a pain in the *** dealing with workers; but you get used to it and develop better methods of screening, hiring, etc. The business part is also learned as you go.

I always remember to treat others the way I would like to be treated. It keeps things real.

Best to get advice if possible if you are going in that direction. I would highly recommend becoming a business person as well as a laborer if window cleaning is a long term goal.

I have operated my business from my bed when I was ill; on the phone.

Anything is possible if you want it and aren't afraid to work for it.

Now I am rambling; but I am serious.

Hugs, :-*

Texas Girl 
Debbie

Extremeclean

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2006, 06:21:08 am »
Debbie. I am very sorry to hear about your tragedy but your story just goes to help illustrate my point exactly.

I can't imangine what you went through but it would have been a lot worse if you also lost the ability to earn as well. By the way I've seen Decembers calendar pic and have written to Santa to ask him for what you have under your tree for Xmas  :P  ;D

Art.  You do not have to be ruthless to succeed in business. Firm yes but the minute you lose the human touch you are heading for a very sad and lonely time.

I am no walk over as a few have found out over the years but I am not ruthless. It gives me a lot of satisfaction having staff and subbies who have been with me for many years who will go the extra mile for me if needed. In any walk of life you meet good and bad and with staff its particularly pertinent. Many will try to screw you over and with me if that happens once they are gone.

It's my experience that a lot drift into wondow cleaning because in reality they are unemployable. Anyone who employs staff on this forum will feel the same I am sure.

I have a great bunch who work for me. I appreciate them and they know it. Take today for instance. Its my favourite day of the month. I am off in a few minutes to get on the tools with the lads to clean the windows of a Hospice for free. We do it every month and no-one gets paid for it but I am never short of volunteers to get it done. Afterwards we all get off to a nice greasy Joes for a good old cholesterol hit and then to the pub for a few. :)

Rich.   << In more ways than one hopefully the things that really count.  :)

ducky

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2006, 09:39:04 am »
i work for my self.but i work for a company ther work ther unifourm ther van ther contracts it is a pain in the rear.its ther rules i have to do what they want.when they want .they want ur phone to be on 24 hours a day.if they phone u have to be ready.it is not for me and next year time for a change.   the now iam a window cleaner. :)
if it cleans we will clean it

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2006, 09:41:11 am »

Not at all.

Sorry Rog, my post was meant to be helpful. I didn't expect to get abuse.
Sorry Art, I wasn't aiming it at you, it's just hard to get things across on a page sometimes. :-\

No, I just don't like self-important prats who push others aside to get what they want.
I just don't tolerate it.

If any window cleaner with that attitude steals my work he'll be introduced to brake fluid and nails. >:(
Also, for every account taken I'll undercut 2 of his. ;)

DaveWilkinson

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2006, 11:42:36 am »
I always think self employment means you are a businessman, if you are responsible for finding your own work and paying your own taxes you are in business.

Doug if you gave up getting a wage packet 20 years ago you are a businessman and a good one at that, 20 years in self employment is a long time, there are so many people never manage half that time and give up and go back to being employed.

As for being hard headed and ruthless, yes and no. In your business day you need to take no bull,  that does not mean you need to be cold or ruthless, treat others as they treat you is the way I work it, I give a guarded benefit of doubt but if someone takes a lend you let them know your feelings if they want to here it or not, they do it again and you hammer them.

Remember it is your busness that feeds your family and any direct harm to your business is direct harm to the benefits you pass to your family. If you were getting a wage packet every week you wouldnt let strangers take a handfull of your cash when ever they felt like it.

Now thats the business day, what your like in your personal life is completely different, my kids rap me round there little fingers, thats when they dont have there hands in my pockets, my wife gets just about everything she wants (within reason and cash allowing ) i like to think i bend over backwards to help friends out when ever i can.

I am a completely different person at home to what I am at work, and I learnt that the hard way along time ago when i first started out in self employment, I neglected my family to work every hour god sent, I looked upon  business coleagues and employees as friends and they took the p*ss and cost me hundreds of thousands. It was not in my nature to say no to anyone, but you soon learn that people will exploit that in you. Now I can stand face to face with anyone and take it as far as they want to go with it, thats business :)

I guess what im saying is you can be a good business man without being a a tw*t, also remember there are plenty of of nasty tw*ts who arnt business men.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2006, 12:01:03 pm »
Mmmm.....
Anyone who is self employed is a businessman, who a good a one is another matter entirely!
Of the local window cleaners that i know of, Roy Harding is to me what a successful business man is all about.
He is efficient, his books are always up to date, and he's up for early retirement in a few years.
Roy understands the 'business' side of things, he is also very professional in the way he conducts himself, he is a good window cleaner, and plainly a good salesman (you should see some of the accounts he has :'()

He understands the difference between turnover and income.

I envy Roy and admire him too, I could never be as efficient and organised as he is, don't get me wrong, I'm very good at what I do, but my book keeping is appalling :o

I'll never be able to retire early, my pension is next to useless, I'll have to work till I droop unfortunately :'(

Most window cleaners treat their turnover as their income....I'll bet very, very few of you work off a business bank account, and have an income paid into your personal bank account...
Where window cleaning is concerned, were you a business man, you would do so...and no...I don't either :-\...sigh :-[

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

shammy davis jnr

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2006, 12:57:11 pm »
how many cups off tea do u get offered at a high end clients
exsatly they have lost touch with there human side
i did one thursday there he had just bought anouther factory worth millions ,and said to me i will have a few glasses of champagne tonight ......
this house to put you in the picture is £180 pounds a clean
he was floating round all day with a guy that came from l,pool from the hsbc bank,,,
did the prat offer any of us a cuppa
this really pes me off
i dont care how big i get but if any worker does work in my house they get fed and a cuppa tea even if the maid has to make it ,,, its one of my pet hates
probably would sit up that night  in front of the painted potrate of him self in his suspenders and gimp mask
while his kids are at boarding school and wife in there villa in portugal getting one from a butler
there he is sharing his moment of glory by him self not with his family but instead rubbing baby oil all over him self in front of the mirror
i will stick with my feet firmly planted thank you