This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

texas girl

Inside window cleaning method
« on: December 03, 2006, 12:09:12 am »
I thought about you all the other day as I was doing the insides of a house that had almost 50 windows.

I always do the insides; my helper always does the outside.
This is my method.

Most people do not have a lot of objects placed on the window sills. It is not common over here. Having curtains/blinds is common.

First, I raise the window if it has a screen on it.

I remove the screen; dropping it on the outside.

I vacuum out the tract  with my wet/dry vac and clean it with a sponge if needed. (Some people are picky about this; others are not; it depends on whether they open their windows or not).

I make sure all window treatments are out of the way; pulled back or removed.

Then I am ready to begin cleaning.

I lay down a large bed sheet below the window. Being very careful with not much moisture I begin cleaning.(Traditional of course)

I finish each window completely; lock it, and move on to the next.

It is a tedious process and I thought about what I charge for the insides. It is critical to not leave so much as one drop of anything that is noticeable behind. You cannot rush.

Because I only do insides I have my own system that I think is very good. But it does take time.

You should charge double plus 25 % for doing the insides if you clean the outsides often.

In my case since we do houses 2/3 times per year, I charge the same as outside but I charge initial clean rates each time for both.

How do you do it?

Hugs,

Texas Girl :-*
Debbie

WavieDavie

Re: Inside window cleaning method
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 12:45:20 am »
We charge double the outside rate and ask that they clear everything off the sills in case we don't treat their valuables with the same TLC as they do.

If they have secondary glazing, it's only four times the outside rate but doesnt take three times as long. We ask that they have someone from the household dismantle it for us as there are so many different types. If we can, we'll replace them - sometimes having to use sucker handles for the largest ones and then buff up where the suckers were.
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

texas girl

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 02:25:55 am »
Hey Davie,

What is secondary glazing? I realize there are a lot of different types of windows, etc.

What I call something and what you call something may be different only in terminology.

Thanks ahead of time for your reply.

Hugs,

Texas Girl :-*
Debbie

Ian_Giles

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 05:49:19 am »
Hi Debbie,

Secondary glazing is the old fashioned way (at least in our country) of fitting double glazing.
In years past you would have your single glazed windows in place, then would normally get a company in to fit the seconday glazing.
This is basically another window a couple inches inside the existing window.
Can be an absolute nightmare to clean too :-\
If it has been in place a fair few years, then as the house has settled, due to the fact that each window is custom fitted, lifting out this glazing can be next to impossible.
Depends on the design of course, but I always hated the stuff with a vengence >:(

As to the method we use over here to clean the  inside of windows, well, I guess most of us will (for the most part) clean the inside exactly the same as we do the outside.
We'll shut the windows and clean the glass and detail the edges, mopping up any water that is on the sill.
I've never bothered with the frames whilst doing the insides and I'll bet few of us ever open the windows to completely clean out all parts of the window frame either.
If the window is of a type that does not have a window sill then I'll lay down a couple of scrims on the carpet or floor.
If using an applicator and squeegee, depending on circumstances I may hold the applicator below the squeegee so that it catches any drips as I squeegee off the glass.
Providing the customer has cleared the sills, I'll generally charge perhaps 25% more than I would do for the outsides.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 10:38:29 am »
I use the applicator below the squeegee so that I catch all the drips, works great.

I charge the same price as the outside if all the sills are clear (I ask them to remove everything) Maybe I should bump up the price, but I don't really know why I don't do that. You don't have to use a ladder, so that makes up some time  I guess.

simon knight

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 12:14:56 pm »

I prefer to use my wfp in the house. The customers love it as they get the added bonus of getting their carpets cleaned at the same time ;D

pjulk

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 04:40:51 pm »
I charge the same for insides as i do the outside.
But i do tell the customers that while im cleaning the outside they much clear everything from the windows on the inside.

I should charge more really but i get quite a few inside cleans and its handy to save them for rainy days.

Paul