Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

calmore

Curry!
« on: November 30, 2006, 05:57:53 pm »
Wife took a call today from a lady with curry on her carpet. Unfortunately I don't know the composition of the carpet, whether it was stain guarded or how long the stain has been there.

If it's a wool carpet I obviously stand no chance of removing the stain. However, if it's synthetic, what's the best chem(s) to try?

What sort of success rate would I be looking at? I'd like to give the customer a realistic idea before I start...
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

*paul_moss

Re: Curry!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 06:23:43 pm »
Usually your on a loser with this stain as it is turmeric or a food colouring thats in with the curry powder.
I would do the usual cool water extraction first,if its wool then I would try Red rx with dwell time and extraction followed by thermal transfer if that did not remove it.
The last resort is soduim metabisulphite which I would spray on and leave a day,this will take 2 or 3 hits and will reduce it,but not fully remove it. This can result in dye loss from carpet and has a pungent odour, so check with customer prior to use and indemnify yourself against posible bleaching.

If its a nylon or polyprop I would use acetone,via indirect application with a short dwell time thenadd a shampoo/foaming detergent to the area and agitate then hwe.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

calmore

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 06:40:56 pm »
Thanks..I'll advise the customer that it's probably a lost cause but if they really want me to try I'll give the methods you suggested a go.
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services

calmore

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 06:42:25 pm »
Just had a thought..I'm pretty sure that the steriliser I use when making home brew is sodium metabisulphite!

(Yes, it does stink!)

Edit: just checked the packet and yes sodium metabisulphite=home brew steriliser.
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 06:44:00 pm »
Bane browning treatment at 1:2 water, absorb, extract with PCA5, blot dry, then turbo.

Pete

Jason Hedges

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 10:18:56 pm »
Hi all,

Been looking into the same problem, just found this:

'To remove tricky curry stains use a bleach for instance a mild solution of hydrogen peroxide and warm water.

Leave on the stain to react and oxidise the dyes which will turn them colourless.

Then wash off and rinse with cool water.

The net effect should be that the curry stain has gone and the colour of your fabric, carpet or rug will have returned to normal!'

I found this here: http://www.tellmehowto.net/question/remove_curry_stains_459

Any thoughts?

Jason

*paul_moss

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 08:05:02 pm »
Cal,Metabi is the same,used for sterilising in home brew kits etc. CC use it as a reducing agent.
But dont confuse it with an oxidising agent. :)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

gwrightson

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 08:35:08 pm »
yes soda meta is the very same.
used in food production , water purifaction etc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_metabisulfite

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

*paul_moss

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 06:33:21 pm »
Just dont get it mixed up with sodium metabisulphate.A diiferent chemical all together
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Macarthur

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 07:22:20 pm »
A usefull link, thanks Jason.

Nigel.
Orion Cleaning Services - Southampton