This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

pricing a job - help please
« on: November 30, 2006, 05:31:27 pm »
To any of you guys and gals who do very big domestic properties.

I've been asked to quote for a huge georgian house in Bath - standalone in it's own grounds - 3 storey but as high as 4 storey block of flats (modern stuff.) Big Georgian windows that can be squeegied inside but are each 9ft x 5ft 12 panes sliding sash and quite old but sound. So inside will need a ladder too.

I'm a bit nervous because I do a set of office blocks for this chap which are modern and I don't want to mess it up. (I use wfp)

It's also 30 miles each way, so off my patch but do-able if the price is right.

I thought about giving a one-off price with a view to continue at lower price if we're both happy and negotiate the monthly price then.

I've a good track record with this guy for over a year so payment doesn't bother me it's just that it'll be the biggest domestic I've ever done by far. It's being extended too so more later.
It's a game of three halves!

supernova77

Re: pricing a job - help please
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 05:36:57 pm »
Any pics of the property?

Andy

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 05:56:35 pm »
Malc

Sounds like they can afford to pay your price whatever it is, he must know your pricing structure , so just go for it

Dave

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 05:57:13 pm »
Not quite that big! Is it Longleat?

But it is that style and age (not quite so ornate of course) and its doing the windows with wfp that concerns me.

DSL it's the above I'm concerned about - quality of finish/damage to frames.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 06:01:30 pm »
Malc

Nobody is going to do it off a ladder ,

Damage to frames ?   only if in bad condition , cant be helped

Qauality of work ?  Inspect as you go and keep comunicating with the owner and be confident, old glass comes up a treat

Dave

poleman

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 06:09:21 pm »
Not quite that big! Is it Longleat?

But it is that style and age (not quite so ornate of course) and its doing the windows with wfp that concerns me.

DSL it's the above I'm concerned about - quality of finish/damage to frames.

ONLY 2 ways to clean the outside of that type of place and comply to WAHD, 1/ WFP 2/ MEWP

Andy

mark dew

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 02:11:56 am »
I clean a georgian rectory with similar (though well maintained) windows and the only problem i have with this job is the putty got damaged after a few (wfp) cleans and started to fall off.
Instead of brushing the window as one i now lift the brush off slightly when passing over the putty.
It adds about 5 minutes onto the job but the flower beds are no longer littered with strips of putty and allowed me to keep the job. This only happens on the south side wing and not the other 3 sides.
I cleaned it trad for a year with no problems and after 3 or 4 cleans with wfp it was noticed by the owners.
As dave says old glass is a joy to clean.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 11:31:24 am »
Thanks guys and good tip Mark Dew! I've found that on smaller georgian property.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 04:25:25 pm »
Malc,

I'd love a job like that to get my teeth into (the teeth I've got left anyway).  I'd get Wor Lass to do the interior and I wouldn't have to see her all day while I did the exterior.

If you don't want it, pass it on!  Bath isn't that far from me. ;D

JohnL

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 06:27:42 pm »
malc - dont give Tosh a reason to come over the bridge whatever you do!

;D     ;D     ;D     ;D     ;D

and watch for the traffic malc, I used to live in Bath and the time factors can change so rapidly and make a total mess of your overall timings.

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 04:43:02 pm »
malc - dont give Tosh a reason to come over the bridge whatever you do!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

and watch for the traffic malc, I used to live in Bath and the time factors can change so rapidly and make a total mess of your overall timings.

JohnL

Thanks JohnL - and Tosh (the troll) lives under the Severn Bridge and won't ever come over it.

WavieDavie

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 04:51:16 pm »
the only problem i have with this job is the putty got damaged after a few (wfp) cleans and started to fall off.

The only problem the customer has with this job is that the windows need maintained a bit better.

There's no way you "damaged"  the putty - trust  me!
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk