This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

holly1402

Just starting up ,What basic equipment do i need?
« on: November 28, 2006, 06:38:41 pm »
Can anyone tell me what basic equipment i need (just starting out) ,And what cleaning agent do i need or will fairy  washing  up liquid be ok.? ???

S_RICHARDSON

Re: Just starting up ,What basic equipment do i need?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 09:33:17 pm »
Hi Holly,

Well firstly you need to get a ladder to suit your need (i.e what type of work you will do) A good set of microfibres, a set of pouches, to hold cloths and a belt to match. You'll also need to get a bucket on a belt, an applicator sleeve and t bar to match, a squeegee handle and channel a window scraper and blades and most importantly a bucket.

I use Squeegee Off as a solution which gives a good glide and shine to the glass!

If you hurry you might want to get your stuff from here because it's free delivery:

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/wcw/ecommerce/index.php

macleod

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 09:54:13 pm »
warm clothes. waterproof coat. good boots. places to use the toilet. places to have a cuppa. a cap. gloves. walking socks. fairy liquid.

aztec

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 10:05:25 pm »
Some customers comes in handy !!

(sorry couldnt resist!)

Wozza

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 05:27:08 pm »
a good set of roof bars for for transort ! You got to make sure your ladders are nice and safe on whatever you plan to transport them on !

Warren

Fast 1 *

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 05:57:09 pm »
A thick skin
wildstyles

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 06:02:50 pm »
Could Mark provide a link where to buy his window cleaning DVD from?

This is just the job for questions like this.

I can't find it on e-bay.

holly1402

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 05:02:39 pm »
Thanks Guys for all your help ,Just had my fliers done ,i,m going to knock some doors and give them the leaflet and hopefully i may get some customers .Word of mouth is certainly  a good thing i have already got 10 customers from just people i know .I may have some houses on a new estate that is being built now,I went to see them in the liitle porta cabin and have asked me to go back on monday when the manager is there,How much do you guys think i should charge ? the show house will obviously be the first to be built , so i will have that and the porta cabin ,Then all the new houses being built ,Obviously i dont want to over charge ,But there will be  alot of work there so i need to look after them too.Any help please?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 05:10:40 pm »
If your finances aren't hand to mouth (like mine were when I started up ;D) then really consider wfp from the outset.
It's a game of three halves!

Pat Purcell

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 05:14:12 pm »
Not to rain on the parade or anything but a little experience would help as well, especially if you atre going to go straight into builders cleans, many of the newer types of glass cannot be scraped or at least minimal use of a scraper is advised, some of the self-cleaning glass is murderous to do with a squeegee , If I were you i would post on here asking for a few days out with a window cleaner near you
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

jeff1

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 05:36:30 pm »
Could Mark provide a link where to buy his window cleaning DVD from?

This is just the job for questions like this.

I can't find it on e-bay.

Here is the link  Tosh and if I were you Holly I would have a good look on Marks site its full of info for you.

http://www.windowcleaningresources.co.uk/html/window_cleaning_dvd_tutorials.html

holly1402

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 06:16:09 pm »
Thanks alot lads for all your help im just going to have to practise and practise ,I will give them a qoute for each house ,depends on what type of house they are 2 storey or 3 storey and go from there.Would 2 section ladders be ok ?I`m really glad i found a site like this it`s great ,loads of abvice ,.Oh i`m always glad of anymore advice you can give me.I will let you know how things go.
   Thanks alot .

holly1402

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 06:25:55 pm »
If your finances aren't hand to mouth (like mine were when I started up ;D) then really consider wfp from the outset.
Hi Malc ,Thanks for your comments,But could you tell me a bit more about the wfp system ,I dont mean to come across thick but ,is  it a brush on the end of i pole with a water supply ? If so how do you then clean the glass is it with a squiggy on another pole  or not. Thanks

Helen

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 06:30:13 pm »
where are you located? would suggest you aks some nicey window cleaner for a day or 2 out with them trad and wfp. Would also suggest you research Health and Safety and into the WAHR, as from next Spring the H & S will be seriously looking at the WC'ing industry. As for show houses etc. make sure you get all the details and requirements you need from the appropriate people. Most of these builders require CIS and if the properties are still considered to be building site you may or not be able to use ladders as you will have to follow site regs!

Helen

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 06:37:40 pm »
Following that, personally I would get in domestic customers and get some cash flow working. Builders cleans will not be payment when completed, but down to the terms of that builders accounts. These builders cleans? Normally they employ a cleaning service business, who do three cleans before the owners move in? Just make sure that they realise you will only be window cleaning and not the washing down of walls etc etc. and general domestic cleaning. This close to Xmas, you will probably not pick up as lot of custom, but don't let that put you off! New customers tend to come out of gthe woodwork from Feb onwards.

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2006, 06:45:36 pm »
Excellent advice.

holly1402

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 11:55:30 am »
Thanks Helen for your advice .Do you think i should just say to the building site foreman ,This is my price for each house(depends on what style of houses they are) and just wait and see what they say ,I shall ask them about health and safety issues   as i dont want to do anything wrong .
Thanks again.

simon knight

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 01:17:00 pm »

Following on from Helen, I'd be reluctant to start doing builders cleans at the outset. I've done a few and can honestly say that I've hated every one of them...because a builders clean is precisely that! There's gonna be cement, mastic, paint, traces of masking tape and God only knows what else on the glass and frames and with a B/C you're expected to get it all off...and believe me some of it is a bugger to get off and with lots of houses some of the windows are tricky if not almost impossible to get at.

But if it's something you can't resist having a crack at I'd offer one piece of advice: Get the clean in before they take down the scaffolding.

Very best of luck Guv'

Simon

ducky

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 02:37:15 pm »
i would just chap ever door u can to build it up.this time of year is good and bad for customers some just want it done for xmas. :)
if it cleans we will clean it

Helen

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 05:05:05 pm »
Well said Simon, one thing though if the scaffolding is still up, up, you will need site permission to utilise it. Protective boots to the builders standards and a hard hat. Where are you Holly1402? maybe we can get someone to hlep you out?