This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Scrimble

Ladder question
« on: November 24, 2006, 10:30:39 pm »
I've received my grant from the local council and have some money to spend, I want to replace my ladders and i dont know which are the ones to go for,

I was going to get some 3.5m points but i've never used a set before so i wanted to ask what the benefits of these are over regular ladders, I also want to get a good ladder stopper to stop the ladder from sliding backwards, could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Mark.

idealrob

Re: Ladder question
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 10:37:00 pm »
The best stopper is made by Rojac called "THE STOPPER". As for the ladders i am not sure, but without trying to get into another issue, but i think after spring 2006 you may not be able to use them for window cleaning.

robert t

dave0123

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 11:24:43 am »
i use a 3.5 pointer and normal ladders. the pointers are really gr8 set of ladders there expensive but worth the money. there great for tall windows were on normal ladders u mite stretch up 2reach or put the ladder at each side then move it accross to otherside the points stop you from stretching.

there also great for bay windows were you can do them pritty simple than using normal ladders also i think there much safer you can hold on to the ladder when ur up it fine with one hand if you understand cus the point is up the actull frame.

Dave
Dave.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 11:27:36 am »
What grant is this then

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 11:44:41 am »
The best stopper is made by Rojac called "THE STOPPER". As for the ladders i am not sure, but without trying to get into another issue, but i think after spring 2006 you may not be able to use them for window cleaning.

robert t

Lol like hell that's gonna happen ;) Ladders are never gonna be banned, seriously.

NBwcs

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 01:00:07 pm »
Like dave says, what grant is that then if you dont mind me asking?

Scrimble

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:57:00 pm »
Thanks, I think i'm going to go to somewhere which sells ladders and give a set of pointers a try before i invest in them.

I got a new business start up grant of £500 from my county council. stafford enterprise is what its called. but its only avalible to people who are starting there business. I went on a 3 day course with them about self employment and i qualified for the grant.

http://www.staffordenterprise.org.uk/

idealrob

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 06:18:06 pm »

Lol like hell that's gonna happen ;) Ladders are never gonna be banned, seriously.

Not heard of the WAHR 2005, how do you justify using a ladder, and if you do what safety devices do you use.

Ladders wont be banned, using them will. If somone working for me fell of a ladder or the ladder slipped and had an RIDDOR accident, i would be facing a fine running into tens of thousands, and if it was a commercial property, the company would also be fined for not controlling the contractor. Face upto H&S into the 21st century.

robert t

bumper

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 06:26:00 pm »
Dornt use ladders coz you will be
breaking the law ;D
breaking the law ;D

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 06:41:43 pm »
I use either Ramsay or Midland Ladders.  If you go with Midland they will fit safety feet - far more "user friendly" than any stopper as they are in effect a permanent stopper attached to the ladder.

http://www.midlandladders.net/www.midlandladders.net/info.php?p=12&pno=0http://www.midlandladders.net/www.midlandladders.net/info.php?p=12&pno=0

For the feet go to the "accessories" page and scroll down till you see the "oval" black rubber feet at £25 per pair (a bit more if you have them factory fitted)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 06:54:44 pm »
Ian

Thanks  for reminding me i have just ordered a new 8' pointer from that site, I kept forgetting

http://www.midlandladders.net/www.midlandladders.net/info.php?p=12&pno=0

Scrimble

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 07:07:36 pm »
why do people keep posting crap about ladders being banned etc in this thread? I didnt ask for information about it or anything, I asked which ladders shall i get and people post health and safety crap,

can a moderator remove the non relevent posts in this thread please.

I'm going to drive up to midlands ladders start of next week to take a look,

thanks
Mark

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 07:13:01 pm »
why do people keep posting crap about ladders being banned etc in this thread?

Mark

Mark,

I've read just about everything I can find on the net with regards to the Working at Height Directive and have came to the conclusion that I don't give a toss what the rules say.

Just work safely.

If it feels dangerous; don't do it; explain to you customer why you can't clean certain windows and when you can, go WFP.

idealrob

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 07:42:48 pm »
why do people keep posting crap about ladders being banned etc in this thread? I didnt ask for information about it or anything, I asked which ladders shall i get and people post health and safety crap,

can a moderator remove the non relevent posts in this thread please.

I'm going to drive up to midlands ladders start of next week to take a look,

thanks
Mark

Just satating that according to some sources ladders will not be permited to be used after spring 2005, which isnt long away. I have not tried to turn it inti a H&S issue, just dont want to see you waste your money. I have no other motive, not involved in the sekking of WFP. Also if you do use ladders, you have to do a written risk assesment for ever job. FACT.
I said at the start i didnt want to turn it into another issue. For the record on ladders my father who window cleaned back in the fifties up till the late 90`s with ladders got some very lightweight ones, made of bamboo wood i think from London, thats all the information i have and am sorry its upset you.

robert t

robert t

Mike Jones

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 07:45:53 pm »
just satating that according to some sources ladders will not be permited to be used after spring 2005, which isnt long away.

Its 2006 Now lol ;D

P @ F

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 08:13:26 pm »
Markberesford , dont take this the wrong way but i remembered your avatar from a long time ago , June in fact , if it has taken this much time to ask about a ladder then i think you should hurry up and get one else by the time you come to pick a bucket you will be retired !   ;D

Just an observation  ;)

Rich P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

P @ F

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 08:15:37 pm »
Oh and another thing , if its a business start up grant , how come your replacing ladders , if you have not started yet why do you need better ones ?

Rich P @ F

idealrob

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 08:37:30 pm »
Sorry 2007,

robert t

Scrimble

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 04:09:56 pm »
I've been planning and saving money to start my window cleaning for a long time, I have a set of ladders which were given to me but there not very good and i've wanted a new set for a while, and i've been waiting for the grant to come through for quite some time.

P @ F

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 09:42:32 am »
Sorry Mark , just re read my replies , and realised that they sounded very taxmanish !
This was not the way i intended them to come over , i have always been one for wording my thoughts in the wrong way !
Now you have your government freebie get out there , buy your ladders and get the money rolling in  ;D

All the best in your venture ..... Rich P @ F