This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

alternative payment methods
« on: November 22, 2006, 07:32:52 pm »
 Just out of interest,

for those of you that prefer not to collect your earnings in the evenings and use other methods such as:

card payments
bacs
direct debit
standing order
cheque

Would you say the customers are happy with this?

Do some of them voice concerns?

If so what?

ive noticed the argument for and against cash collecting in the evenings, but im trying to understand the pro's and con's of alternative collection methods?

any input would be greatfully received

rgds
stu

pylofm

Re: alternative payment methods
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 07:46:15 pm »
I have to admit that my customers when I take them on are suprised that a window cleaner offers internet/bank transfer as I think most of them think all w/c are cash in hand dodgey dealers.

After each clean they recieve a card through their letterbox which tells them the date of their next clean, the cost and more importantly my banking details...

I give all my domestic customers 14 days to pay and commercial have 28 days to pay...All my customers have been pleased that I offer this service, of course they can pay me cash but as I tell them...I prefer they put in the bank for me...as the other half does'nt trust me with anything over 5 euro's  ;)

I have to admit...I do not want to go out after work and collect and should a customer demand that service...yes they can have it...if they would like to pay the time for me to do it.

I now check my internet banking a couple of times a week and for the most part people pay...I have 1 customer who is proving that even this system is hard for them to master and as such I have suggested that they start an automatic payment to pay me 14 days after my schedual clean date which is every 4 weeks to the day.....so no excuses.

It seems to be working for me... ;D

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 08:44:21 pm »
thanks,

how do you feel about security or your customers security with details freely handed around?

rgds

stu

pylofm

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 08:51:04 pm »
Details freelyhanded around I am sorry I do not understand?

Cheers
Dave :)

steveaqua

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 08:52:29 pm »
I find it alright, normally send a copy to my firends in Nigera, they make copys and we earn a healthy living on the side... ;D

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 09:43:48 pm »
some people leave there banking details on there websites and paperwork etc,

this can be risky?

rgds
stu

pylofm

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 09:53:42 pm »
Why...I have my banking details on my website, cleaned cards...I do not see it as an issue...what are they going to do...secretly put some money in? ;)

Cheers
Dave.

Filllllll

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 07:48:03 am »
Every time  the customer sends a cheque aren't their bank details on the cheque? Same if you write one.Whats the problem?
I never collect-waste of time and money.
Customers are use to the sae's (no stamp) and because some don't use cheques anymore prefer bank transfer.
Filllllll

matt

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 11:29:43 am »
a fair few of mine are usnign paypal now

i have a few comercail that just use BACS

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 03:37:43 pm »
Im not saying its dangerouse i agree with it im purely asking what people think and the way they set it up?

rgds
stuart

pylofm

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 03:41:27 pm »
The reaction I have had has been positve and I do believe the most of my customer don't want somebody knocking on their door collecting money in the evenings...

So all in all...I am getting a very positive response and I like it too !

Cheers
Dave.

chrismroberts

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 04:26:02 pm »
As far as I'm aware, bank details (a/c no. and sort code) are safe to give out.  I don't think its possible to remove money from an account without card details etc, only pay in.  I may be wrong though?! :S

Just out of interest, I've just taken on a couple of days work from a friend and its a bit of a drive to collect. I've asked them all to send cheques, but is it the accepted thing to do to attach stamps, or do you guys leave it to your customers to provide the stamps?

Chris

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 04:33:11 pm »
do you know wether its cheaper, dearer or the same to use freepost or stamps?

rgds
stuart

chrismroberts

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 04:52:51 pm »
I had a look into this a while ago... the Royal Mail website is quite useful. Try here:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content3?catId=400041&mediaId=600016

I think you pay a yearly license fee plus a fee for each response. I'm not sure if it works out cheaper.

Chris

Filllllll

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 06:16:00 pm »
I can't see the point of putting a stamp on a sae- some customers aren't so diligent at sending a cheque every time and it would be wasted cost on my part.
Filllllll

Simply Clean Windows

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 06:47:12 pm »
i leave sae at every customers house if there not in,i have near on 100% return,i dont collect at all,for the cost of an envelope and stamp,against my time going out in the evening,cost of diesel,wear and tear on my van,i think it makes good business sense.
Malcolm

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 06:00:09 pm »
thanks malcom,

your point of view is a very good one

rgds
stu

Malcal

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 07:56:03 pm »
Hi All
When I stopped collecting I lost about 60 customers and gained 5 evenings + 2 weekend afternoons, I think this is a fair deal.
I've since gained more than I lost.
If the customer wants to pay they will find a way, Paypal, BACS, cheque, standing order, direct debit, supermarket savings stamps, postal orders, money blue tacked to an upstairs sill, coins in a bag from an upstairs transom, money though my letter box (from a customer 12 miles away).
Remember years ago gas, electric, rent, insurance etc was all collected and now its not for very good reasons.
Theres more customers than cleaners so if they dont get the money to you then get another customer, if you get bored of an evening then go out and canvass.
Regards Mal

Malcal

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 08:06:02 pm »
Hi All
Just had a thought why not offer doorstep collection as an added service, i.e. window clean £6, collection £2.50. That might encourage them. Does anyone do this or give a discount for non collection methods
Regards Mal

gmcs

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 10:14:25 am »
Bacs works for me over 75% of my customers use this method - they don,t like standing orders but will go for bacs! does anybody know of a mobile card machine that you could use from your van and then download at night to your bank - quite a few of my customers have asked if I accept cards on the doorstep

Thanks in advance

GMCS