This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

how do you collect

doorknocking
46.3%
31 (46.3%)
s a e
35.8%
24 (35.8%)
other
17.9%
12 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Jason Atwell

collecting
« on: November 10, 2006, 10:48:02 pm »
Do most people still knock on, and for the guys who dont call to collect anymore, how was the transition and did you lose many customers?
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

craig jwc

Re: collecting
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 10:57:30 pm »
I don't collect anymore and i don't leave sae.

I've not lost one customer since i stopped collecting.

All my new customers are told that if they aren't in they are to post payment on or arrange to make payment through Internet banking.

Every new customer i have told this has been fine by it and it's working ok at present.

Craig

pjulk

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 12:30:54 am »
I don't collect anymore i leave a SAE been doing this now for about 10 months.
Never lost any customers and still get the money in fairly quick.

Best thing i have done the SAE as i used to hate going out on a friday evening collecting.

Paul

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 08:16:04 am »
good old doorknocking you can't go wrong with it. Cause some times customers complain saying they never had a SAE through their door or something!

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 09:25:05 am »
For my rural accounts, I always leave a SAE with payment instructions.

For my estate accounts, where I have concentrations of houses in the same area, I leave a 'chit' and collect on a Saturday morning (I'm just about to head out).

If they're not in, hopefully they've left the money hidden somewhere; otherwise they get left an envelope.

My cash flow is good!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 09:36:34 am »
Do most people still knock on, and for the guys who dont call to collect anymore, how was the transition and did you lose many customers?

I did lose a few on the initial transition.  One guy cancelled saying that he wasn't well enough organised to manage it.  I've no problem with that.  Some customers didn't send me a cheque when I first made the change.  If it was a job I wanted to keep, I made sure I got two lots the next time and reminded them that I had changed my payment methods.  If it was one I wanted to dump anyway, I took the loss.  Better to lose a bad account and one payment than to keep going somewhere for years where you're unhappy working.
So, for a short period, my bad debt level was higher but my business is more economical to run in the longer term.  I'm not talking large amounts here.
BTW.  I don't use SAE.  I just leave a bill.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 12:33:48 pm »
I occasionally go out and collect in person, but that is only for a couple of customers, mostly I just leave them an invoice and they send a cheque within a few days.
Quite a few I collect from their place of work when I clean the office or the shop they work in.
I really must offer them the option of paying over the internet, it's a really easy way of paying your bills, and it is being increasingly used now...mmm...must word a leaflet and attach to invoices... ::)

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

LSB

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 01:53:44 pm »
I collect from some , and ae ( no s ) others , which gives me both a good cashflow and regular chq payments  ;)

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 02:48:18 pm »
I collect from some , and ae ( no s ) others , which gives me both a good cashflow and regular chq payments  ;)

Just a thought Lloyd, about twenty-something quid pays for 100 2nd class stamps.

Keep the receipt and count it as an expenditure against your tax.

There's also some very good FREE software I use that is class for printing your address on envelopes (a friend of mine still hand-writes his, even though he's got a computer, and I've offered to show him how to print envelopes).

Next year I plan to go 95 percent collection free, but given the wide range of domestics I do, this may cause some problems for some.  For example I've two accounts where my customers are both elderly and blind.  I couldn't drop these because they won't/can't send me a cheque.

In the past week I've also received a postal order and a typed out building society cheque (I guess these customers don't have cheque books), and I think this maybe going a little beyond the call of duty to pay me.

But collections are a real drag; the worst part of the job; especially in the Winter.

Richy L

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 04:44:19 pm »
o just ask them to send me a cheque through the post. No SAE. I just leave a slip with the price they all pay for their own stamp and letter.
There are a few i have to collect though, like old people. Some "dont do cheques"

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 05:15:33 pm »
Hm...I have no idea what a SAE is, what does it stand for? [/stupid]  :-[

I leave one of these.....works great. Started my company up with telling customers how to pay. NO problem at all, can't pay by cheque, paypal, bank giro credit, Internet banking, phone banking, postal order? Then you don't really want a window cleaner.  ;D

Collecting? nah

What I do is do a pre-printed envelope for them, I come more then half way to them with all that.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 05:21:27 pm »
I dont collect or leave envelopes, I never worry about it.
I always send an Invoice through the post to all my Commercial jobs, even my shops.
I just get paid when i get paid, my debt list nearly broke through the £4k barrier this week.
I concentrate on the work and let the money look after itself.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 08:53:37 pm »
I dont collect or leave envelopes, I never worry about it.
I always send an Invoice through the post to all my Commercial jobs, even my shops.
I just get paid when i get paid, my debt list nearly broke through the £4k barrier this week.
I concentrate on the work and let the money look after itself.

That.....somehow doesn't sound ok.

I hope that was a joke, especially the 4k lol

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 08:55:42 pm »
yes please tell me your joking dave that doesnt sound to healthy to me !!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 09:16:32 pm »
No I  am not joking.

My debt list fluctuates at around £3k on average, none of my debts are older than 4 months old apart from a couple.

I have picked up so much over the years due to most window cleaners not being prepared to wait 30 days for payment. It sounds a lot but when you consider i have a lot of commercial it is not a lot, I tell my domestics not to worry , they can send a cheque if they want or just wait until they catch up with me.
Most of them send a cheque if i havent seen them for a few months.

Dave

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 09:34:05 pm »
SAE = signed address envelope!!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 09:41:20 pm »
Self addressed envelope

pjulk

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 10:22:17 pm »
Stamped addressed Envelope

Or has Dave said

jeff1

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 11:15:21 pm »
Self addressed envelope
I agree with dave

self addressed envelope

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 09:21:36 am »
Self addressed envelope
I agree with dave

self addressed envelope
I agree to sorry for the little misunderstanding their people i don't know why i said that.