Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

DaveBrown

WFP scratched glass
« on: November 09, 2006, 03:14:44 pm »
Does it? Just been to a customer who said she noticed linear scratches on the glass after I had cleaned them the other day. She is right. I had a look and they are there. I couldnt believe it. Doesn't do much for my confidence in my WFP system right now. Looks like I'll be having to stump up a hefty bill for six scratched panes. Ouch! Maybe I got some grit on the brush or something. Any thoughts? Any
advice much appreciated.

Dave

Re: WFP scratched glass
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 03:20:37 pm »
Dave, is this glass new?  There's a manufacturing defect that can cause scratched glass.

Did you used to do this glass traditionally?

Do you really think you're the cause of the scratches?

Other than the above, I haven't a clue, and it's the first I've heard of a WFP brush bristles scratching glass.

I would've thought that would be next to impossible to do.

DaveBrown

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 03:45:14 pm »
Tosh,

The glass isn't new - have been cleaning it about 3 years now but is the 4th time WFP.

Thing I cant understand is me missus did one window in question and I did the other. Customer is spot on tho and I know she isn't pulling a fast one.

Dave

dave carroll

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 04:01:22 pm »
Dave,
          like tosh implied i bet they were always there, i bet that if you did them trad they would dissapear, or even run your finger over it.
 had same problem a while ago with a window over a conservatory, i got called back to a now ex customer about scratches, so i took an old mirror mounted on a piece of wood, placed it on the floor and put all of my weight on it to show that it wasn't my kit that damaged the glass.
  then went upstairs to have a look and the scratches were the exact arc you would get by doing it by hand with the crook of your elbow on the frame, does that make sense?
        hope you get it sorted

Dave

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 04:19:38 pm »
  then went upstairs to have a look and the scratches were the exact arc you would get by doing it by hand with the crook of your elbow on the frame, does that make sense?
        hope you get it sorted

Dave

That's a good point.  What 'pattern' are these scratches in?

Is the pattern consistant with the how the brush moves over the glass?

Are they also really scratches?  This might sound like a daft question, but on my own house, Wor Lass painted the ground floor window frames; not very well; and used far too much paint that what she should've.

My brush then 'punctured' small runs of paint that had dried on the suface of the frame and picked up a small amount of paint and rubbed it on the window. 

It could look like a scratch, but I knew it was the paint.

DaveBrown

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 04:32:10 pm »
They're definitely scratches in a straight line down the glass - exactly where I brush I'm afraid!

Dave

Ladders

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 04:39:52 pm »
Dave

Are the scratches on the inside, have you checked for this ?

Plus what time of day were you looking, this time of year the sun is very low in the sky.
If you look at the right time,with the sun at the right angle you will find scratches on most windows.

Just a couple of thoughts, hope you solve the prob.

Just seen your last post have you checked your brush,what type of brush do you use ?

Cheers Jeff
For every problem there is a solution

DaveBrown

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 04:52:15 pm »
Thanks for the advice all. Yes, scratches are on the outside. We use vikan brushes. You are right about the sun - it was belting straight into the glass, but how do I prove it wasnt me and keep her custom and probably that of the whole cul-de-sac? Maybe its just best to pay up?

Dave

Ladders

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 05:02:07 pm »
Your call Dave, but if you do the rest of the cul-de-sac with wfp ,and you concede that you have scratched one house.
Need i say anymore.

I would check the state of the windows of the other clients in the street before i decided what to do.

Jeff

craig jwc

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 05:04:21 pm »
I wouldn't pay up till you are sure or they can prove it was you.

I think you would have to put some pressure on your pole even if it did have grit on it to scratch the glass.

Even if you pay up for the windows they will probably think again about letting you use wfp on them and word will still get round to the other people in the street.

Craig

rugby

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 05:10:23 pm »
this has happend to me, managed to bluff my way out of paying for new windows but im fairly sure it was my brush that scratched the glass. its something thats always in the back of my mind now when im useing wfp.

DaveBrown

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 05:30:34 pm »
Your call Dave, but if you do the rest of the cul-de-sac with wfp ,and you concede that you have scratched one house.
Need i say anymore.

I would check the state of the windows of the other clients in the street before i decided what to do.

Jeff

Good call Jeff. I think i'll do that. Thanks

Dave

Ladders

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 05:33:51 pm »
No probs Dave we are all here to help one another ;) ;)

Jeff.

TERRY AB

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 05:38:16 pm »
Hi Dave,
Ive been using WFP for over 10 yrs, never happend to me. Dont pay!, you will lose the others customers in the Cul as well as probably your reputation, stick to the fact that the brush with plenty of water cant
scratch the windows, they will have a real job proving otherwise (u know "not guilty until proven otherwise".
If your still unsure, then why dont you take your system chuck some sand on the windows and wash them down, I bet they wont scratch! and if they do, then the glass is more than likely lower quality.
Some Panes are produced incorrectly with the unpolished side on the inside, rather than on the outside, also there has been recently a lot of glass produced with a very soft outer surface which scratches very easy, in the future if you are worried do a window and check the outcome before continuing.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 06:18:13 pm »
I would agree with Woodley Washers here, absolutely next to impossible to scratch glass with your brush.
Go there on an overcast day, or when the sun is the other side of the house, I'll bet you won't see the scratches then.
When the winter sun is low in the sky and shining directly on the glass, every flaw and mark in the glass will show up.

I had a complaint last Friday, customer reckoned it looked like I hadn't done half of her windows.
No problem I said, I'm on my way!
Turned out it was just the low sun highlighting water stains and mineral deposits that I also showed her were quite imposible to remove.

Whatever you do, totally deny responsibility, hell, give her the brush and see if she can add more scratches to the glass, or even see if you actually can scratch the glass...I'll bet you won't be able too.
Wash them and then squeegee them off and see if there are anymore marks on the glass.
The vikan Brushes have flocked bristles, so they are even softer at the tips than most of the other brushes around!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Pat Purcell

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 10:54:20 pm »
If you are fairly positive that you could not have caused the scratches then you          should try to convince the home owner that you coukdnt have done it but in the interest of good customer relations you will replace the glass or pay a percentage of the price,
From experience i would say never admit fault as it could lead to other claims and as someone said these scratches may be there for years but the angle of the sun coinciding with newly cleaned windows and the homeowner standing in a certain position may have led to them being noticed for the first time ,
 I dont know what size scraper you lads use over there but see if the scratches run parrallel for that width as a scraper is the much more likely culprit
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

EasyClean

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 03:17:13 am »
Some of the very old surplus stock of ancient waterfed poles had jets that protruded through the WFP brush with a screw head attachment. Does your brush have any plastic or METAL jet heads protruding through the bristles- if they do, they are more than likely the cause of the scratched glass. However if they don't then you have nothing to worry about. Why don't you try washing a piece of OLD SPARE glass whilst pressing very hard against it and check the outcome after the glass has dried. Then you will definitely know for yourself if you are liable or not and most importantly the outcome will give you the peace of mind and confidence to continue using your WFP equipment. I've cleaned glass coated in cement, sand, you name it and never have problems with WFP equipment. 
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

ladderman

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 09:35:39 am »
we had the same problem last month, couldn't understand how we had scratched the glass on a job, but it was evident that we had with the direction and movement of the scratches. Turned out that when we had swapped the pencil jets for fan jets i had inserted them a little too deep and the metal lip was pertruding through, only slightly but enough to scratch.

DaveBrown

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 05:45:35 pm »
Some of the very old surplus stock of ancient waterfed poles had jets that protruded through the WFP brush with a screw head attachment. Does your brush have any plastic or METAL jet heads protruding through the bristles- if they do, they are more than likely the cause of the scratched glass. However if they don't then you have nothing to worry about. Why don't you try washing a piece of OLD SPARE glass whilst pressing very hard against it and check the outcome after the glass has dried. Then you will definitely know for yourself if you are liable or not and most importantly the outcome will give you the peace of mind and confidence to continue using your WFP equipment. I've cleaned glass coated in cement, sand, you name it and never have problems with WFP equipment. 
Hi EasyClean, there is no protruding parts - the only way I see it is there was grit or a stone in between the bristles but from what you GUys have said this seems to be a bit far fetched. I told her today I wouldnt accept liability. She was not very happy tho! She may well take it further.

Dave

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 07:18:25 pm »
it is possible to stratch glass and I'm surprised it doesn't crop up more often. The number of guys I have seen who leave the bristle side of the brush resting against brick is amazing. Even worse is when I se them letting the brush run down the side of a house against the bricks, this is just askig for trouble.
But as other have said you would still have to scrub the windows with some force to make a scratch.