Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Do you use a ladder safety device when you climb ladders? Rojak, laddrmate, etc

I never climb ladders
I never use a ladder safety device
Rarely
50/50
Most of the time
I always use a ladder safety device when climbing ladders
ladder stabilisation device
« on: October 22, 2006, 02:59:45 pm »
Just out of interest, even WFPers carry ladders.

Re: ladder stabilisation device
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 03:25:57 pm »
Oh and by the way it's against the law not to use one.............

...............and ladders are banned.............................

......................Trad boys are loosers.........................

...................sorry I need to lay down ::)

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 04:12:40 pm »
I rarely use my Rojak and laddermats these days, since anything dodgy gets done with a WFP.

I only tend to use LSDs for gutter cleans or conservatory cleans where I use a ladder to get access to the glass with a WFP.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 04:22:41 pm »
Tosh,

So when you do use ladders, do you use anything?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 04:56:32 pm »

I went for 50/50.
I hardly use ladders but when I do, using a safety device depends on the circumstances.  I ALWAYS have ladder mitts permanently affixed to the top of my ladder as this prevents sideways slipping at the top.  Even though I rarely lean it against a sill, it can still slip sideways while against a wall if not using them.  Now that the ground is wetter, I'm more inclined to use a safety device at the bottom.  I have found that a piece of damp scrim is just as effective as a Rojak - perhaps more so.  Sometimes I feel it is better to use no safety device at the foot of the ladder - e.g. if leaning ladder against side of a flat roof, the ladder can sink a bit into the mud.  That feels like a more effective way of preventing slip than a rojak - though they do have their uses.

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 06:30:35 pm »
Tosh,

So when you do use ladders, do you use anything?

No.  I'd only use them where I consider them safe.  All added up, I have about one days worth of ladder work per month.

dai

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 06:39:27 pm »
As my safetey device is permanantly fixed to my ladder I have to use it.
It's an adaption I made myself when I started 14 years ago.
Never had one ladder slip back on me. I have a stabliser bar made from auminium box section that goes across the bottom. Attatched to this are rubber feet made from a car tyre. It works on the principle that you can pull rubber across a damp surface as you do a squeegie. But try pushing it and it won't go, it bunches underneath. The design of standard ladders leaves a lot to be desired and could be greatly improved.
The stabliser bar on the bottom means that I could put a point on the top. It's still geometrically and A frame. I will have to take some pics and post them. It could save someones life. Dai

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 06:40:32 pm »

I no longer carry ladders. Stopped completely in May 2006.

When I did use a ladder I had lyte swivel feet and ladder mitts. (This ladder I now use for DIY around the house.)
It's a game of three halves!

Toff

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 08:40:14 pm »
dai
that A frame sound good, should have patent it, i think i will make one is the rubber all along the box section, do the feet of the ladder go into the box

dai

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 09:03:48 pm »
Toff the feet are four inches wide and fit on each end of the box section.
The box section is made from 2inch x 1 inch 3mm aluminium.
If you were converting an aluminuium ladder, you take the standard feet off and shape some hard wood so that a 6 inch piece can be hammered up inside each end. You then cut and file the ends so that the box section can fit up inside.
The hardwood inserts prevent the ladder walls from crushing as you have to drill and put a bolt through each side and tighten them.
The tyre strips are 4 inches wide and have to be long enough to go round the channel section, leaving a gap at the bottom that will take a 2 inch diameter piece of industial heavy duty hose. This is important for the suspension system to work.
you bolt the rubber to the channel section[ 2 each end] using penny washers that wont pull through the rubber. You then insert the 2 inch diametre hose and fasten them with cable ties.
When you go up the ladder, you can feel the suspension, the rubber pushes back away from the ladder. The ladder then has to actually push this rubber foot in order to slip back and it can't. I hope all this makes sence. Dai

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 06:13:34 pm »
It seems like never and rarely win. No wonder H & S are clamping down.

While ladders are not BANNED, it is best policy to use something to secure the ladder.

No comment from Squeaky??

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 06:28:37 pm »

While ladders are not BANNED, it is best policy to use something to secure the ladder.

I voted, what more do you want? ???

Johnboyfree

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 06:31:26 pm »
So did I.......But I lied.......Sorry......... :( :(

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 06:45:58 pm »

I voted, what more do you want? ???

Comment! ;)

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 09:25:50 pm »
All my ladders used are fitted with spike that virtually stick in any ground. This has never failed for me. It get's the job done quickly!

macc

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 11:35:56 pm »

I carry telescopic ladders for access only.

Macc

seanmcshane

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2006, 06:04:17 am »
S Richardson
what about concrete surfaces?
I have seen them spiked ladders and can`t work them out??

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2006, 08:21:39 am »
S Richardson
what about concrete surfaces?
I have seen them spiked ladders and can`t work them out??
Whilst sharp enough they grip even on concrete ground with weight of ladder and me!!

idealrob

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2006, 07:32:47 pm »
We for 15 years used a rojac stopper for our businees,  and a limpit for the top, and have not used a ladder for about 15 months now and today saw NTL fitting something today on a ladder, no stabilitty device top or bottom or a safety helmet like sky use. Not getting involved in a trad v wfp argument but just stating what i saw in Middlesbrough today.

robert t