This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Toff

Twice as slow
« on: October 08, 2006, 01:35:52 pm »
Why is it when ever i have worked with someone else i never can earn the amount that i can earn (i.e double that i can on my own) I can always earn my money quicker on my own.Don.t understand it either? ???

WavieDavie

Re: Twice as slow
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 01:42:55 pm »
Even if he's working at the same speed as you, the time between jobs doesn't half.
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

geefree

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 01:45:32 pm »
only if you went in different directions in different vans... as with two people you are both walking to the same house at the same time, thus , gaining no help or advantage from him, same as driving to your next call.... no help there either, ... so only on the actuall window is he being helpful and reducing the amount of work for you..

thats why you dont earn double when there are two of you.

i think ::)

Toff

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 01:54:18 pm »
I think after many years of trying to work it out i'm getting the answers, THANKS

master cleaner

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 02:55:11 pm »
me and my son work together he does one side of the street and i do the other this way you can do twice as much.

gary

DaveBrown

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 03:27:39 pm »
me and my son work together he does one side of the street and i do the other this way you can do twice as much.

gary

Gary, do you both work from the same van? If so do you have to trail your hose across the road? Got the missus coming working with me in a few weeks and was wondering how best to do it!

Dave

master cleaner

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 09:05:58 pm »
yes we work from the same van but we have a backpack each we started with a trolley each but found the backpacks to be so much faster ,
we only do upstairs wfp unless lead or georgion and we can get a full day with backpacks on less than 400ltrs of water

gary

geefree

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 11:45:08 am »
 ???.. wish i had a few houses in one street ::)...

backpack it is then, ;)

geefree

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 11:56:53 am »
they dont seem to hold much water though.. shurflo is only 16 litres ... what the average fill up.... each house... every two houses?

gary.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 12:41:49 pm »
when you are working with someone you will always be slower than you would be on your own.
When you work together you pause now and then to chat, or you will both talk to the customer and so on.

When I employed lads I soon learned to separate them if I wanted them to do well.

As has already been mentioned, other factors have to be considered, you CAN be very efficient, but it takes focus and planning.
there is little can be done with regards driving between accounts, but if one of you is doing upstairs, once you have finished the tops you don't drop down and help finish off the bottoms, you move straight on to the next account and let the other guy do that and also do the collecting and the writing out of any invoices.
If you have to finish a house together, while one of you collects, the other loads up the van so you are ready to drive straight off to the next account.

Or if there are several houses you simply split up and don't work together on the same accounts.

Setting daily targets helps too, but two people working together out of the same vehicle are highly unlikely to do twice as much work as just one person working alone.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

steveaqua

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 12:59:40 pm »
Setting daily targets helps too, but two people working together out of the same vehicle are highly unlikely to do twice as much work as just one person working alone.

I dissagree, I found two people working out the same van does get twice as much done. I found the best way though is 3 guys. not so tired at night time and you can get a lot done in 1 week. I find working on my own an easy day as i seem to potter about more and talk to customers but don't get as much done. When theres 3 of you its about keeping up the pace through the day, soon as you start taking your foot of the gas you don't earn as much money. these are my experiences anyway.

Toff

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 01:06:41 pm »
Thats interesting One person better than two and not as good as tree, i suppose their should be a little competition, so long as quaility does not drop, but its making sense now. Thanks

Ian_Giles

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 05:39:41 pm »
I'll agree to differ with Steve, and I think that by an large you will find that the more of you work together, the less efficient you will become.

I've employed for varying lengths of time well in access of 80 people over a 15 year period with window cleaner, and a couple of dozen while I ran my own decorating business,  and I've done a great deal of time and motion studies.

Steve I think is the exception that probes the rule.

For his own situation what he does works perfectly, but few will find that to be the case for themselves.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES