Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

S_RICHARDSON

**!!SOLE WORKER!!**
« on: October 08, 2006, 08:52:24 am »
How many of trad workers, work alone? Especially on Ladders.

ronaldo

Re: **!!SOLE WORKER!!**
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 10:15:40 am »
I did it for 9years,before changing to wfp but still work on my lonesome and will always do so unless one of my lads wants to get into it.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 11:07:19 am »
Nearly all of us I'd guess.

Especially on ladders?
What does that mean? ???

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 11:39:54 am »
Nearly all of us I'd guess.

Especially on ladders?
What does that mean? ???

Can you not guess?  There are health and safety concerns about working at height when you're alone.  This isn't me spouting this; it's 'elf 'n' safety.

Some guys, the health and safety conscious ones, will have pre-arranged times to phone their Missis, for example, so if a call is missed and the recipient can't be gotten hold of; then something could be amiss.

It wouldn't be nice if you fell in someone's secluded back garden, were knocked unconscious and then died of hypothermia on some freezing winters morning, because no-one was aware you fell; would it?

windolene

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 11:46:39 am »
Hi,

What a load of nonsence!

WINDOLENE.

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 12:21:25 pm »
Hi,

What a load of nonsence!

WINDOLENE.

What is?  Is it my statement, or is it 'elf 'n' safety worrying about lone workers, working at height?

A quick google will show you there are safety concerns about lone workers, working at height.

In one property I used to clean, the facilities manager stressed that we should use the 'booking in and booking out' contractors book, so that if we hadn't booked out by say 5.00 pm, he could check the premises.

Just in case I'd fallen and was unconscious somewhere.

Toff

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 12:49:21 pm »
Its not a bad idea because i was cleaning a large house with a long drive . i had to climb a small wall to get in and fell 3 ' and broke my leg. i could not be seen, if i did not have a mobile  i could  have been there all day. i did'nt even know the name of the road the drive entrance was in. When i tried to direct the ambulance they told me to stay with the phone so they could phone me back. always have a phone and know where you are.

windolene

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 02:36:54 pm »
Hi,

Tosh,

My reply to yours was regarding some window cleaners phoning at pre- arranged times throughout  the day to reassure her at home that all is well.

should of made this clear in my post. Sorry.

WINDOLENE.

julianbiggs

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 05:37:25 pm »
Youve got as much chance being killed crossing the road or driving on a road. But I don't ring my missus every couple of hours just to let her know I haven't been mown down!!!

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 05:59:54 pm »
Youve got as much chance being killed crossing the road or driving on a road. But I don't ring my missus every couple of hours just to let her know I haven't been mown down!!!

Julian,

There's probably a greater chance of getting killed crossing the road than falling off a ladder and dying, however, I'm not saying we all should phone our Missis every two hours to let them know we're alright either.

Crikey, it's an effort for me to phone her at anytime anyway! ;D

I'm just answering Squeaky's question about working alone and how that factored into window cleaning from ladders.

Mind you, as Toff's post shows, there are considerations to take into account when lone working with ladders.

How would he have faired if he didn't have his mobile phone?

JM123

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 06:55:11 pm »
I fell nearly 3 years ago myself, was lucky I landed on a flowerbed but if I didn't have a work partner with me I'd have lay there a lot longer - imagine if that had been concrete, with someone with you its safer, failing that, a mobile phone and regular calls home are a good idea so from first hand experience I can say Tosh is on the button as usual.

Don't take safety lightly lads.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

gaza

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 09:58:31 pm »
Knowing my luck Iwould land on my mobile breaking it,  but think its a must to have a mobile with you just incase.
remember reading something about working alone in the h/s/e
about having a ringing system for lone workers.

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO