Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

archercleaningserv

taking on a member of staff .
« on: October 07, 2006, 06:05:03 pm »
Hi , been window cleaning 18 years alone , but want to take someone on part-time . can anyone please advise the correct & best way to go about doing this !
 thanks , chris. ???

reah

Re: taking on a member of staff .
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 06:08:25 pm »
Hey
are you looking to put them on their own or with you.

WavieDavie

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 07:28:26 pm »
Straight from the horse's mouth, Chris . . .http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/newemployers/index.shtml
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Majestic

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 09:19:41 pm »
Try New Deal, you take someone on part time ( 24 hours )  for 6 months . You get £40 per week towards there wages, and up to £750 towards training .

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Customers/New_Deal/index.html

WavieDavie

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 10:27:56 pm »
I tried that a while ago on the recommendation of some "advisor" at the job centre when I was placing a vacancy.

NEVER AGAIN!!

To qualify  for New Deal you have to be out of work for 18 months. Someone who's been screwing the system for that long, getting up late and couch-potatoing all day will not be the person you want. Trust me on that!
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park

Majestic

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 11:38:01 pm »
I have had a lad for the last 5 weeks, At the moment he is ok. If anything he is to keen.

marc

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 11:56:52 pm »
IF YOUR GETTING PAID £75 A WEEK FOR SIX MONTHS THAT CANT BE BAD YOUR KNOW AFTER A COUPLE OF WEEKS IF THEY ARE ANY GOOD AT LEAST YOU HAVE NOT PAID OUT SO MUCH MONEY IF YOU TAKE SOME ONE ON ,TO START THERE GOING TO  SLOW YOU DOWN ,DONT MINE IF THEY WORK OUT THEN EARN YOU MONEY BUT IF THERE A WASTE OF TIME YOU STILL HAVE TO PAY THEM

Majestic

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 09:21:19 am »
You interview the person who you take on , if you dont like the look of him you dont have to have him.
With the lad I have he had done it before,

DASERVICES

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 09:58:21 am »

Only problem with that is the Job Centre tend to send guys who have no
  intention of working. To receive their benefits they have to attend x amount
  of interveiws.

A friend of mine has offered jobs and none of them turned up.

However looks as if John managed to get a good one.

Doug

WavieDavie

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 10:09:21 am »
I have had a lad for the last 5 weeks, At the moment he is ok. If anything he is to keen.

Hang on to him John, there's none like that at our local jobcentre!

Davie Park

steveaqua

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 10:32:33 am »
we have used Lads before from the Job centre, some good some clearly don't want to work, however i never knew of the scheme that john has mentioned, i'll find out more about that. can't be bad for business cheap labour.

If he's a bit to keen John do you think that maybe he can smell a good earner? do you use wfp or trad? although i wouldn't begrudge showing people a trade you have to also think about protecting your business. could he try pinching some?

LSB

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 12:30:47 pm »
I tend to advertise on postcards in newsagents , and always get a good response! some of them may be eastern european ( but in my experience theyre more reliable ) then its really down to interview and trial ! or ask other local window cleaners if they can reccomend anyone !   

Majestic

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 01:03:02 pm »
He is only 20 and has been baned from driving . So he cant aford to insure a vehicle of his own ( and he does not drive mine ) So allhe wants is to work for someone , maybee in time he will go his own way but at the moment it ok for  us both 

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 01:04:10 pm »
Wavie

How many staff do you have

Dave

WavieDavie

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 01:29:45 pm »
Normally, me and two.

Since May last year I've had Polish lads but one went back to his trade of baker/confectioner working in Edinburgh. Took on a local lad who promised great things, he was asked to leave on Friday after six weeks - I only got one full week out of him plus loads of stories/excuses for the other missing days.

Going back to Polish this week!

Davie Park

geefree

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 02:31:21 pm »
Hi,

Can i ask some of you guys about at which point do you employ staff?

Do you just want help as and when,?

Are your aims to build a round , set someone on to do it ,and build another yourself?.... and so on and so on.

At which pont can you decide if your round is so big you can afford to employ someone without taking a drastic pay cut yourself?

Cheers.

Gary.

Helen

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 02:53:04 pm »
when to decide to employ?  when you can afford it!!

Davie T

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 04:23:33 pm »
If you are looking for a part time worker, try placing an advert in a University notice board. 
If you manage to get the right person he will probably be more communicative and responsible than your average 18/23 year old.

Helen

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 05:42:22 pm »
Gazza, at the end of the day it is what YOUR aims are, and not what anyone else does or have. If you want to employ someone then do so, but if you want to just build yourself a nice income then just do that....there are no set rules to having your own business. Surely that is the whole idea of having your own business, you please yourself what you want to do with it! ;D We subby out and we employ, you get similar results with both ways. You make extra money to what you would have if it were just you, but there are  many far deeper issues than just money. Insurances PL & EL, if you have not employed before you will be shocked at the cost of these. Extra National Insurance that you have to by law pay for your employees for example every £20 they pay you pay approx another £24 in addition.  Holiday pay, at the moment 20 days per year paid holiday. From 2007 that is likely to go up over the next few years to 28 days!! All this extra has to come out of the gross figure that they bring into your business.Subbying, you can only provide them with so much work, as too much classes them as being employed by you. They also have to prove separate income to the IR away from what you pay them. These are a few downsides, there are more, and it may sound really negative, BUT you have to take all of this and more into consideration ;D

geefree

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 08:12:04 pm »
Thanks Helen,

I knew a lot of what you said...

i was simply a bit curious as to who works alone and who works as a partnership,..
and who wants to expand in the best quickest possible way,

and basically i was enquiring how many of you had staff,

Gary. ;D