This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

stevekennedy

Re: taking on a member of staff .
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 10:34:56 pm »
Since May last year I've had Polish lads .

Going back to Polish this week!

Hi Davie,

Long time no post eh? How do you get on with Polish workers? Is there a language problem? How do you find a good one?

Steve

WavieDavie

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 08:23:34 pm »
Hi Davie,

Long time no post eh?
Is that me, or you?  ;)

How do you get on with Polish workers?

Great, fantastic, wonderful, super, marvellous, terrific, absolutely love them. They turn up on time, if they're EVER off they'll phone ahead to say they can't make it - but I've had to send one home when he struggled in to work when he should have been safely tucked up with some Night Nurse (to alleviate the flu symptoms!) They shake your hand when they arrive to start a shift, same again at finishing time. Bring me presents of FIERCE Polish wodka when they return from a break back home. For the first time ever I bought Xmas presents for employees to show my appreciation - and I'm tighter than you Aiberdonians, ma loon!

Is there a language problem?
Not really, anyone coming to a new country to work must understand that a smattering of the language will go down well, but my current two both took English at school - so they've got a head start. There are language classes for Poles locally, if you make an appointment at the job centre to get the lads their N.I. number you're asked if they need an interpreter. Check this out http://www.hse.gov.uk/languages/polish/index.htm we're a multi-cultural society, don't you know.

How do you find a good one?
Most of them are. They're desperate to please and are deeply appreciative of the fact they've gained a job in a foreign country. Ask someone about the work ethic here about thirty years ago and that's what's imbued in the Eastern Europeans coming over here. Turn up on time, respect for employers, put in a good days work for your pay, don't try to screw the system. Most have more than one job. One guy just wasn't cut out for our busy-busy-bash-bash way of working - he was a bit too laid back - but he found somewhere else where he's happier.

If you're considering taking on any Eastern Europeans, you need to make sure they get a N.I. and that they register with http://tinyurl.com/y9td48 But you can't do both at the same time because original passports must accompany applications to each organisation and neither accept photocopies. To quote Tommy Cooper. . . Chicken, egg - egg, chicken. AhaHaaHaa

To sum up - it's the best thing I've done, go for it.
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Fast 1 *

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 08:52:53 pm »
are your customers ok with it?
wildstyles

WavieDavie

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 09:17:42 pm »
There's always been a Polish community in Scotland since the end of WW2. I worked beside four Poles when I was an apprentice in the early 70's. Chris Golabek, Eddie Chernouski and Tommy Dudczik are all good Scottish names, I'm sure you'll agree. They were all around my age, and really were Scots, but I never knew old Michael's last name - he was always Michael the Pole and got by on a handful of English words.

If anyone mentions it, I tell my customers that the Poles beat the locals hands down, most folk agree wholeheartedly and tell me they think well of me for employing these lads.

Some might prefer to talk to me because on occasion the boys can't make out their accents,  ;D but I can truthfully say I've had no adverse comments because of their nationality.
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk