This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Skyglide

How do I make a wfp pole from a carbon fishing pole?
« on: October 05, 2006, 09:56:00 pm »
Hi All
Bought a 10mtr carbon fishing pole today. How can I make it WFP?
Can I clamp the push in joints?
Do I glue it together and leave it half and half or something?
Do I run the tube internal or have to make do external?

All advice welcome. Jeff Brimble perhaps?

Chris

freshwater

Re: How do I make a wfp pole from a carbon fishing pole?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 10:03:11 pm »
Christies,

I would imagine that a fising pole is taperd, unlike a wpf which has parallel sections. I think it will be impossible to use joints or clamps. Also I understand that fishing poles are made from a very thin carbon fibre (to keep the weight down, which is why the are cheap) which will not cope with the stress of WFP use.

But if you do get it work let us all know and post some pics.

steve@freshwatersystems.co.uk

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 10:07:30 pm »
Hi There,

as you realise there is quite a lot involved in this. Give Jeff an email, he offers a consultancy option whereby you can pay him and he will 'clue' you in. I'm sure that this will save you a lot of time and wasted poles!

Alex

Skyglide

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 10:20:33 pm »
Thanks Alex
But I can't see Jeff Brimble's email or contact details anywhere!
Chris

H h20

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 10:34:51 pm »
Hi Chris,iv`e just started to use carbon fishing poles and it is easy so much better to work with,i got an 11m and a 16m,you have to discard the first 3 sections so the longer the pole in the first place the better,then i got a cheap brush pole from wilkinsons for 74p and used the plastic threaded insert to fit into the section of the pole that will be used to add the brush,i used a 6inch length of plastic plumbers pipe to push inside the threaded insert then push it into the end of the pole and fix with some pvc tape then you can add the adjustable neck then add your brush,i also got some end caps for each section of the pole to protect the ends when using it at different heights,you will need to run the hose on the out side as you have to add each section and i fitted a on/ff tap on the hose,if you need anymore info you can email me and i`ll be taking some pictures of it and how it is set up,Gaz  ;)

Skyglide

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 08:23:40 am »
Hi Gaz
Many thanks for that.
Have sent you an email.
I use fibreglass 18' 24' and 38' but want a light pole for daily use on domestics. Might be fragile, but saves a lot of energy (have a bit of trouble with my right elbow)

Don't fancy the Unger as I know one of my blokes will lose parts of it!

Anyone else out there got solutions?

Chris

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 07:04:08 pm »
Just spotted this Chris,
you can pm me on any of the other forums.
Because the joints are vertical the weight holds the pole together by gravity, DO NOT push them together hard. (Other wise you will need the secret knack of undoing-only available to fully fledged carp fishermen by secret initiation  :)) You have to use outside the pole supply unless you only ever want to use just one length of pole which is unlikely.

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 10:06:33 pm »
Why do some people insist on trying to save afew quid by turning a fishing pole into something totally different???

Lads, the cheap poles you are buying are poor. A good pole will cost you upwards of £300, a very good pole £1000+, and top of the range anything up to £4000.

Freshwater, your comment about poles being made from very thin carbon to make them cheap???? Well off the mark I'm afraid.

Carbon poles are very light, very stiff and a pleasure to hold at 16m.

Glass fibre poles, which are the ones you are buying, are heavy, though still lighter than a WFP proper I guess, bend like a banana, and are horrible to hold at any flippin length!!

You run a business lads, treat it as one. Stop doing things on the cheap, you'll only regret it eventually, and you look cheap as a result.

Only my opinion ;)
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

H h20

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 10:14:30 pm »
Hi mlscontractcleaner,i use carbon fishing poles for wfp and they are brilliant you are going to have to turn a blind eye to it and bite down on your knuckles,i shall continue to use them as they do exactly what i want them to do and thats not to catch fish,Gaz  ;)

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 10:25:18 pm »
Gaz Hh20, you should be hung, drawn and quartered. It is a little known fact that to use a high tech piece of equipment like a beautifuly crafted, pleasing to the eye, carbon pole to do anything other than catch fish, preferably in a high class fishing match, is a crime against old Issac Walton and you will incur the wrath of Neptune who will visit you in your sleep and steal your todger without you knowing anything about it until you try to go for a morning pee, or the wife decides that she would like a little action before you go off to work. Well my old mate, you aint peeing and the wife will leave you for the window cleaner on the other side of town; the one with the shiney new, purpose made Water Fed Pole.
Is that what you want ??? ??? ???
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

H h20

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 10:34:12 pm »
mlscontractcleaner,i see you have a bit of a fetish for the smell of fish and an erected pole  :o,so i will leave you alone in your dark little world.
"now what did i do with the thin bendy sections of my carbon fishing pole?,oh yes i chucked them away as they were useless"
(to do list) buy another carbon fishing pole to convert to wfp  ;),Gaz

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 11:13:54 pm »
Hello Mis, you can pay 6K for a pole its very very light, have you ever experienced it.

freshwater

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 11:20:57 pm »
mis,

you mis quoted me "Freshwater, your comment about poles being made from very thin carbon to make them cheap? Well off the mark I'm afraid." I also said they are made thin to be light, and if you can get one for £60 is this not cheap?

steve@freshwatersystems.co.uk

Clear Vision

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 11:28:08 pm »
Gaz Hh20, you should be hung, drawn and quartered. It is a little known fact that to use a high tech piece of equipment like a beautifuly crafted, pleasing to the eye, carbon pole to do anything other than catch fish, preferably in a high class fishing match, is a crime against old Issac Walton and you will incur the wrath of Neptune who will visit you in your sleep and steal your todger without you knowing anything about it until you try to go for a morning pee, or the wife decides that she would like a little action before you go off to work. Well my old mate, you aint peeing and the wife will leave you for the window cleaner on the other side of town; the one with the shiney new, purpose made Water Fed Pole.
Is that what you want ??? ??? ???

What are you???

You should be locked up with an imagination like that!

Ladders

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 12:08:29 am »
Here,s one i made earler this year ( apporx 9 month ago ) and it still works to this day, it,s approx 27 ft long and does the job for me.
For every problem there is a solution

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 06:46:44 am »
Could I suggest to everyone, that  if you have a goose neck you should also try an Unger plastic angle adapter with a seperate brush. The ability to alter the angle of the brush is really useful- over conservatories etc and you can also change the angle of the brush to work at 180 degrees. Handy for doing really narrow 2-5" windows. Dont forget to allow the brush to swivel to some degree as well.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 11:39:09 am »
Whilst not supporting MLS in his comments,

there is one that I would agree with. That is it is worth paying a bit more for a better quality pole, there are cheap quality fishing poles out there(£100-£300), but they are not as stiff or as light as a decent quality pole (starts at about £500), the simple reason for this is Carbon content, the cheaper ones have a higher glass and resin content which increases weight and decreases rigidty.

I have discussed the subject at length with our suppliers about buying a £4000 pole. For our purposes it would be a complete watse of money as although it would be super stiff, the weight saving would be very minimal and they would not be as tough in use.

Jeff, we have developed a way of getting around joints over tightening even after 5 hours of 60ft use.

Alex

sair

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 12:13:20 pm »
its nice to see the future in wfp poles being developed all around us, the glass fibre poles are soon to be history posibly even the heaver carbon fibre poles, as seen by heaver ones being sold off cheap on ebay

my days have been reduced by these poles iam now down to 2 days a week its taken a day off my week again

my poles will come down in december for those up grades alex

Essentially Pure Ltd

Skyglide

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 02:27:14 pm »
Thanks for all the contributions to this thread.
My idea of using a fishing pole for wfp is sound if it is just me using it for maintenace cleans and easy work.  I know if you buy cheap you buy twice, but hey if Gaz can get 9 months out of one and still going strong, why not?

I'll probabaly go for Alex's carbon poles when in production as service and products from Gardinerpole is first rate.

I am about to do a builder's clean on 60ft glass clad lift towers with the probability I will continue the contract. The first one has access platforms provided. After that I need decent lightweight poles.

Chris

jeff1

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2006, 10:33:16 pm »
Hi mlscontractcleaner I don't know what all the fuss is about  ;D  I use drain rods  ::)