Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Peter Fogwill

Re: How quick is WFP???...take a look and see!
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2006, 06:42:45 pm »
Peter I always give the windows a good scrub, so I always get good results. How could you possibly be sure that the 1st floor windows you were cleaning were completely clean after just one pass of your brush?

Groundhog, imagine this, you are cleaning the insides of an old folks home and you are walking from room to room.  Not all the rooms are the same.  In one room there is an old lady with plants on her window ledge.  In another room the old lady has something dangling from her window attached to a sucker which secures it.  In another room there is an old lady who likes to look out the window a lot.

Now as soon as you walk into each room you are looking at the window.  Before you even get to the window you should know what needs done, and as you are moving things from the window ledge you are still looking.

The first room you know that at least the glass level with the plants and below will need extra work with the applicator, whereas the rest of the window may be spotless.  You would give the area around the plants more scrubbing than the rest of the glass.  After you scrub the area around where the plants were you would give the rest of the glass a once over with the applicator, then when you squeegee the window will be perfect.  You should know it will be perfect before you squeegee, you don't want to squeegee then find out it's not, and have to soap up again.

Same applies to the other rooms, you will scrub where the suckers been, and where the greasy marks are from the old lady touching the glass with her head and hands.  No way would you scrub every bit of glass the same, well unless you like working for nothing, or you don't like finishing work early.

Same thing applies to WFP work, if you give every window a good scrub just to be on the safe side whether they need it or not you are wasting time.  Now it may not seem like a lot of time but it all mounts up.  You could be earning more money, or you could be spending more time with your family

The customer is not standing behind you with a stopwatch working out how much you are charging an hour, if she is get rid of her.  Most customers are only concerned about results, and don't mind paying a decent price for a good reliable service.

Peter Fogwill

jeff1

« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2006, 06:49:17 pm »
Peter that is Exactly how I clean my windows (but I'm still traditional) so applies to me in and out.

Regards

« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2006, 06:55:08 pm »
I think this thread has been done to death.

For any further queries about WFP versus Trad, I think members should start a new thread; because:

There's about six different threads in this one post.

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2006, 06:56:13 pm »
Peter that is Exactly how I clean my windows (but I'm still traditional) so applies to me in and out.

Regards

Yes, and it also applies to WFP.  That was the point I tried to get across,

Peter Fogwill

AuRavelling79

« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2006, 06:59:28 pm »
hmmm

All I seen was a simple comment off squeeky regarding the speed of the guy in the video.

I think you should all grow up and stop persecuting Squeeky for having a different view point.

from what he has seen he wants to stick to trad and has seen the hassle of wfp so good luck to him.

Is he not entitled to his own opinions.

All this reminds me of the school bullys, bullying people because they were different.

Dave

No, Dave - you've got me wrong. I understand that squeaky will not change unless something horrendous happens. What I do not want to see is guys new to wfp or considering wfp being put off from a lifesaving, life-improving way of cleaning windows.

I suppose tho' that if they read the threads for long enough that they can see for themselves the overwhelming truth of the matter.

Malc
It's a game of three halves!

neil100

« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2006, 08:50:11 pm »
Aint it funny how we all have diffrent views on wfp.

Groundhogs blasting away telling us all wfp is no good on Domestic work, and thats from someone who at least uses wfp unlike squeaks. Unless Groundhog is the new Squeaks of the forum ;D

Tosh is in love with his backpack.

Ian Giles gives a great argument for wfp and backs his arguments up with a Scientific piece of writing.

Etc, Etc,

We are never all going to agree about the merits of wfp are we? Which is a great shame.

I did a new customer today. This is his story. He wanted me to call at his house. I had just done his sisters windows for the first time last month with wfp. She wanted me to clean her windows from a recommendation from another of my customers who His over the moon with my magic water.

He called at his sisters house the day after I had cleaned there windows. While having a Hearty Brew, he was looking through the Big front living room window and he says to his Sister. " What have you had done with the Glass in the front window?"

"What do you mean?" She replied

"You have had a new piece of glass put in, or it as been coated with something special. I keep looking and it looks like there is no glass in that window, I think I am just looking through a frame straight into the garden. You have had something special done with it."

She laughs and says, "Ohhhhhhhhh, Yes we are very pleased indeed we have just had them cleaned by our new w/c."

"Well I am Gobsmacked, I have never ever seen a window as clean in all my life, how does he clean them?"

Thats a true story I was told today by a new customer who was overjoyed that I was going to clean his windows with wfp. He was so impressed with it, He had told the neighbours I was coming today and I picked up another 4 customers this afternoon.

Its ashame to hear Rosseksava and Groundhog having problems with wfp.

But for me work is coming in hand over fist with wfp, and the story just told tells you my customers are happy with wfp.

I am very Thorough with my method, I will take a little longer then most, I dont speed through it, Bit I am faster then trad and as long as The job is right who cares if I am a bit slower.

Nel.

groundhog

« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2006, 09:57:09 pm »
I don't have problems with wfp, I just prefer trad! :)

I am not going to argue with anyone tonight as it is my birthday, I have had a couple of beers :o

I wish that I could buy you all a drink tonight, I think you are all great despite our little dissagreements :-*

ps Hostilities will resume tomorrow ;)

captain lard

« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2006, 10:15:35 pm »
My personal take on this is if you can get good results with either method and it works for you then fair play to all and best of luck.I am new and I do trad but keep thinking a wfp backpack would be an exceptionally handy bit of kit to do those windows that for trad are impossible or very difficult, ie bedroom windows above conservatories or the few windows that are just a tad too high for comfort on me ladder.
For me results are more important than speed,having said that I am getting quicker at trad all the time which is great.My worry re a backpack is its a chunk of money to dig out,also if it impresses me will I then be wanting bigger and better.
Having said that I know I can keep on going with me trad gear and do well.
Horses for courses and so on,chill lads.
Happy birthday groundhog,am going to open a beer and drink to your birthday mate! :P

groundhog

« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2006, 10:25:31 pm »
Cheers Captain Lard :) You are a Gentleman ;D

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2006, 10:27:23 pm »
I don't have problems with wfp, I just prefer trad! :)

I am not going to argue with anyone tonight as it is my birthday, I have had a couple of beers :o

I wish that I could buy you all a drink tonight, I think you are all great despite our little dissagreements :-*

ps Hostilities will resume tomorrow ;)

Happy birthday Groundhog, I look forward to some answers when hostilities resume.

Peter Fogwill

rosskesava

« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2006, 10:34:12 pm »
Maybe Tosh is right.

Maybe this thread has been done to death.

Ok. To summarise.

Anyone who does not agree that wfp is better in every circumstance is wrong.

Pointing out the failures of wfp is not to be done because there are none because wfp is better and I agree. Totally. 100%.

Discussing anything not in agreement with wfp is boring. Lets talks pumps, connectors, tds, methods and all that exciting stuff.

I'll carry on working in my own way. I make good money.

I also consider the debate on the subject finished because it has already been done to death, as politely posted by Tosh, so any further discussion is pointless.

Different views, nope. Different experiences which mean nothing when the tide of opinion is against you.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2006, 10:45:07 pm »
Well said Ross.

You're right.
I'm slow, inaccurate, old fashioned, dangerous, and un-professional.

I bow to the master(bater)s.

neil100

« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2006, 10:57:25 pm »
Happy Birthday Groundhog.

I am about to get a glass of wiskey as soon asI have sent this post.

I will toast your good health. I like a good banter and I hope I have not caused you any offence.

Squeaks,

In my former trade I was a Master Baker.

Nel.

rosskesava

« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2006, 11:07:13 pm »
Roger

I'm slow, inaccurate, old fashioned, dangerous, and un-professional.

Same as me except we use wfp also... but remember....

Ian_Giles

« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2006, 02:00:29 am »
the thread is running out of steam now :'(

It's been a good un' though ;)

Some of the debate has been good, regards technique and speed to achieve a quality finish.
Poor old Peter's method's have been slated, and all without anyone having the slightest clue as to whether his results are good or bad.

I feel a little guilty now for displaying his little demonstration clips.

People have picked all sorts of holes in it, what about bird muck, what about greasy windows, or salty windows, how did he get around the backand so on and so on....

Ok, I knew it was going to cause a fair few arguments, those couple of windows were cleaned very quickly indeed, but Peter read the thread and defended his corner robustly, he is a pro, he knows what he is talking about and I'll lay any money you like that those windows were spotless when completed.
I've never known Peter give false or misleading information, anyone who has had dealings with him will tell you the same.

can a window be cleaned that wuick and achieve good results?

Of course it can!
Take a close look at the type of windows he is cleaning, they are very straight forward windows, with very little in the way of frames.
Done trad the larger window would take no more than a minute, tops, providing yo uare pretty experienced, and some might even get it done in 45 seconds, but 45 seconds or a minute and you would be watching someone work very quickly indeed.
climb ladder.
Wet the glass with aplicator, just shy of the edges, not too much water on sleeve.
Applicator back in BOAB, whip out squeegee, and skillfully blade of glass, a quick pass with squeegee over the sill and back down the ladder.
Now if many can complete that window in under a minute they will be flying, were that to be video'd and shown in a tiny window, no end of you would be saying, no way, how could yo upossibly do a good job in that time, what about detailing? What about the frames? why wasn't the sill washed and wiped with a scrim? Why wasn't the glass scrubbed more thoroughly with the applicator?

Not many of us would be ble to clean that window in 17 seconds with WFP, thats fast.
Equally, very few of us (even after many years) could climb ladder, do window trad and climb back down ladder all in under a minute.

And anyone that thinks they could do that easy peasy in a minute or less....video yourselves and prove it!
I'm telling you that is a real challenge for the trad cleaner, yo udon't believe me? well instead of coming on here and bragging that you could do it with one  hand tied behind your back....prove it!!

I'll allow you to have the ladder in place, but the timing starts from the moment you start to climb the ladder and ends when you are on the ground!

If you time Peter, it is 17 seconds from lifting the pole to moving on to the next window!
Don't come on here saying piece of cake, film yourself in action and slap the evidence on something like photobucket and post a lnk on the forum...Peter is there to be shot at (er....sorry Peter, my fault :-[)

Unless you are trying to race, you won't get much under a minute, oh, and should Turbo Terry read this....you are banned from competing!!!

so, can you clean a window of the same size as the bigger of the two windows that Peter cleaned in under a minute? (upstairs and under the stipulations I have stated)
Anyone can come on here and brag they can do it, what I want to see is proof!!!

so, die hard trad guys, or even WFP guys that think they are the bee's knees, I've thrown the gauntlet down!

do you think you're hard enough?

Can you walk the walk as well as talk the talk??

Ian

Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

ronaldo

« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2006, 02:19:44 am »
Ian , have you been drinking?
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Ian_Giles

« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2006, 07:54:43 am »
Ronaldo........whatever gave you that impression! ;D

First thing I did when I woke up was to check what I'd written :o

Having re-read it, its ok, I don't need to moderate myself!!

But the challenge still stands!!  And not just for a Trad cleaner to prove himself, the majority of WFPers are also experienced Trad cleaners, some of them might even like the idea of having a go at that challenge.

This was never supposed to be Trad v WFP, but it is about speed, just as the title of the thread tells you, it has of course mutated into the usual debate, plus the usual Squeaky baiting (I know, it's fun isn't it? Rog can't resist responding can he? ;D)
But there has also been good debate on the subject, newbie's reading the thread deserve to know all the differing opinions.

Ok, I've added a slighly different element ot it in the hope of keeping the thread fresh, it is still to do with speed.
On a window in good order, that is the kind of work that Peter will work at.

So as a simple speed comparison, of a normal workrate that is possible with Trad would be good to see.

In general usage the WFP will be quicker, but lets see someone who can back up their claims of working fast Trad.....

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

ronaldo

« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2006, 10:14:55 am »
I just had a sneaky feeling Ian that you may have had one or two  ;D

As for the challenge you me and everybody else on our forum no its NEVER going to happen, because we no what the out come would be  ;)
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

groundhog

« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2006, 12:00:15 pm »
He may only take 17 seconds, but you cannot call that window cleaning and there is no way that a window would be properly cleaned if it was a monthly clean! :(

I don't know why people seem to think it is some kind of skill, as any fool could wipe a brush over a window like that, I reckon I could do it like that in 10 seconds if I wanted to, but I have far more pride in my work ;)

jeff1

« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2006, 03:26:04 pm »
Now! I don't know a lot about wfp so I wont make any comment on peters Techniques.

but what I will comment on, is I know peter is a very experienced window cleaner,

so don't you think that if he failed to do his job properly (even the house in the video) his customers would have been the final judge of his work? I bet he still has that customer so who is the better judge???