This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

caraman

HELP INK PROBLEM
« on: September 11, 2006, 11:33:50 pm »
Hello all you cleaners out there can you please HELP ME!!!!!!!!!
My problem is how do you get biro ink of a leather seatee its not a lot to me but it is to my customer and they want me to get it out or of please help thanks
If anybody has work that needs doing in the south dorset area gis a ring on 07765164970 and we will be pleased to help. Offices,pubs, caravans, holiday let cottages all permanant or temp gis a ring.

LTT Leathercare

Re: HELP INK PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 08:28:49 am »
Ink on leather is not always as straight forward as people would like to think it is.  The combination of types of finish with the number of different inks makes it impossible to produce one product that will work on everything, anyone telling you anything different is just blagging.

Ink is a dye so it has effectively re-dyed the leather. 

If it is on a pigment suite the first port of call is an ink stick, the quicker you get to the problem the more likely you are to get it out.  Beware of which one you buy some don't work on anything and others are so strong they will strip the finish off.

If the ink stick does not work then it becomes a technical problem as a solvent based product needs to be used with great care to remove the ink.  There are different strengths and how strong you have to go then dictates the amount of finish or pigment you will need to replace.  The final stage if you cannot completely remove the ink would be to recolour over the top.

If the ink is on an aniline then there really is no chance of removing it as it will have soaked into the leather and you cannot get it out. 

If you want to give me a ring on 01423 881027 then I will be happy to help further
http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

idealrob

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 12:04:00 am »
ink .......  fountain pen is water based, but biro is oil based, so hairspray, yes ordinary hairspray usually removes it.

robert t

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 11:03:45 am »
ink .......  fountain pen is water based, but biro is oil based, so hairspray, yes ordinary hairspray usually removes it.

robert t

I may be wrong here but i thought hair spray was very bad on leather? Ok for pen on walls etc but leather!?

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 01:10:34 pm »
Occassionally hairspray does work on leather but it can lead to more problems so is best left to technicians who know how to deal properly with this.

Give us a ring if you want further help.

Regards
Judy
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

DREAM CLEAN

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 02:02:58 pm »
Hi
Lots of kids in my house and a cream sofa in leather and find baby wipes very good

Nick

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 08:25:00 am »
Baby wipes are just about the worst thing to use on leather as they break down the finish and it will all eventually peel off.
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

DREAM CLEAN

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 08:59:12 am »
Maybe she knew that and wants a new sofa then, cunning little lovelys our parntners hey?