This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

vincent

should window cleaners be registered
« on: September 03, 2006, 03:11:56 pm »
do you think that window cleaners should be registered to keep out cowboys

pylofm

Re: should window cleaners be registered
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 03:49:42 pm »
Only if the registration holders have teeth otherwise what would be the point...yet another impotent organisation. :), Here in Holland we have an organisation called HBA, which is supposed to represent 'older type' professions.....it would appear to do bugger all and charge a yearly fee(80 euros pa)...But to be a window cleaner you must have it...it is looked for on tax records.....other than that it is just money to an organisation which does'nt really have to justify itself.

So be careful what you wish for....

Cheers
Dave.

ScrimShady

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 06:52:08 pm »
i think they should just like you said it will keep the cowboys away.
they really p*%$ me off
ScrimShady

williamx

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 08:40:19 pm »
Why should we pay for a licence, when we will not benefit from it in any way.

It will not stop people on benefits from working as they are already breaking one law do you think that another one will stop them.

As far as cowboys are concerned, what is a cowboy? and how would a licence stop them?

Proper training and awareness is what the industry needs, the customer needs to know where they can find relible and honest cleaners, so a database  of some sort should be made, so customers can easily find a cleaner, were ever they live.

Pat Purcell

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 08:50:51 pm »
In the US we have an online resource called ANGIESLIST, its a data base of all the trades which costs a few bucks to sign up to .For a contractor its a good way of getting your name out there and for the homeowner its a good way of finding a reputable tradesman,each tradseman has a page where his customers note their likes and dislikes of the service he provides which can keep you on your toes but also is a great selling point if your feedback is good its kinda like the feedback on ebay
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

geefree

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 12:00:33 am »
But what do you experienced guys call a cowboy,?

are us newbies regarded as cowboys?

williamx

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 12:44:11 am »
Pat

Thats sounds like a great idea, any idea how it got started.

Pat Purcell

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 09:38:10 am »
this may sound kinda stupid but i thinksome woman called angie got peed off with her contractor so she posted a list of the contractors she had dealt with and rated them and it went from there its much like www.craigslist.org which is a free buy and sell site which does cover the uk

alansavvi

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 03:04:26 pm »
No, regulation always stiffles business, show me a trade where it hasnt happened, what damage can cowboys do? We are not electricians where bad work can affect peoples safety. If someone has a cowboy window cleaner it wont mena they will never have there windows cleaned again they will just look for a good one.

Registration, no no no no no no!

You will end up hating it!

Pat Purcell

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 12:04:59 am »
Yeaah that looks very similar

geefree

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 12:16:19 am »
oh just ignore me then lol   ???

Pat Purcell

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 12:25:08 am »
There are 3 things that are important in the service industry Price Performance punctuality not necessarily in that order most window cleaners will strive to give all 3 startups like yourself (GAZZSP8) will probab;y give 2/3 maybe you price a little low to get some work in or maybe you dont do that good a job or maybe your time keeping is not that good(i doubt that you seem like the kind of young man who would be waiting outside early)a cowboy is someone who barely makes 1 probably prices low does a fair or poor job and shows up when he feels like it. this is just my opinion but i hope that helps :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 08:53:18 am »
In the US we have an online resource called ANGIESLIST, its a data base of all the trades which costs a few bucks to sign up to .For a contractor its a good way of getting your name out there and for the homeowner its a good way of finding a reputable tradesman,each tradseman has a page where his customers note their likes and dislikes of the service he provides which can keep you on your toes but also is a great selling point if your feedback is good its kinda like the feedback on ebay

Is there a right of reply for the tradesperson if he/she feels that any criticism is unreasonable?
Is there a safeguard to prevent a competitor posing as a customer in order to disrespect a competitor?

Pat Purcell

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 11:03:51 am »
[ Is there a right of reply for the tradesperson if he/she feels that any criticism is unreasonable?
Is there a safeguard to prevent a competitor posing as a customer in order to disrespect a competitor?
Not on the public forum but you can dispute critcism thru angieslist personelle or you can dispute it directly with the customer
no there is no safeguard but again as above

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 05:46:06 pm »
But what do you experienced guys call a cowboy,?

are us newbies regarded as cowboys?

If you go to work on a horse, carry a six shooter and wear a wide brimmed hat, you are probably a cowboy.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 07:33:58 am »
A government accepted registration process would help, in my opinion, raise the image of window cleaning.

If it clears away a few of the "here today, gone tomorrow" cleaners then in my mind thats a good thing.

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

dougster

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 10:40:05 pm »
yes , why not kick out the roge traders like scotland have done, give us a licence

williamx

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2006, 01:16:30 pm »
Scotland havn't got rid of the rogue traders, they are still there and earning loads of money, they also save money on the licence fee.

DASERVICES

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2006, 01:59:59 pm »

Hopefully this will change for the better with the new w/c licensed organisation
  starting up in Scotland. The FED are also now going to help out, also the
  Scottish Executive is behind this.

It just needs the council to start enforcing and getting through to the members
  of the Public that w/c should be licensed. The majority of people do not know
  about this.

Doug

AuRavelling79

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 09:30:16 pm »
do you think that window cleaners should be registered to keep out cowboys

I think Squeaky should be certified - does that count?

oh just ignore me then lol ???

New starters aren't cowboys yet Gazza, they're Greenhorns. ;D
It's a game of three halves!