This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Coleman

Tips for making WFP easier
« on: August 31, 2006, 07:51:04 pm »
I wonder if the time is right to try and collect up a few tips in one thread here rather than scattered around.  The sort of stuff I'm looking for are the little details of how people work.  You know the sort of stuff I mean.  You've been WFPing for a while and one day the light bulb comes on and you suddenly realise that there is a better way of working.

The two that I'm going to post are almost embarassing because I'm sure that they should have been blindingly obvious to me from day one.  However, I've recently made two changes to my work methods.  One saves time and the other improves safety - and maybe saves a little time too.

1)  FIRST CLEANS
On maintenance cleans, unless it's a really big job, I tend to go all around the tops and then start again doing the ground floor beneath where I started the tops.  This is to allow maximum "dripping" time.  The daft thing is that I have also been doing this on first cleans.  On first cleans, I go around twice anyway - the second being glass only.  Therefore, I have been lugging the hose around after me far more than necessary.  I find it far easier to do one side tops only, switch to a minipole, and then do all the ground floor on that side (this is for top frames + glass).  I then go to the next side and do the same.  It's only on the second pass when I do glass only that I really need to go all around the top window then go around the ground floor windows afterwards.  This means that I switch poles several times but I find that easier usually than lugging hose around more than necessary.  On the first pass it doesn't matter if the ground floor windows are dripped on because they are going to be cleaned again anyway a little while later.
Wish I'd realised that sooner - oops !!

2)  HOSE BETWEEN VAN AND HOSEREEL
I realise that some people have a reel fixed in their vans and some others have trolley/backpacks only so this won't apply to you.
I have a system where I have been connecting a piece of hose between the van and a hosereel that I remove from the van.  Untill recently, I have been using a piece of hose that is maybe a metre or so long.  This has meant that I have needed to unreel the hose (often over the public footpath) to the fullest extent that I need for the job before I lay the rubber safety matting over it.  This means that unattended hose has been lying across the path - often out of sight from me - until I return and lay the matting over it.  I couldn't really lay the mat over it before unreeling to the maximum needed because it would just drag the mat with it - if I could move it at all.
Now, I have about 4 -5 metres of hose between the van and the reel.  This means that I can position the reel, make the connection between van and reel, lay the mat over the connection, then unreel the hose as required.  The safety advantage is clear in that the hose over the path is never unattended and is uncovered for a very short time.  This has the bonus advantage on some jobs of positioning the reel to clear the first corner or the car tyres in the drive making the hose easier to pull around.

OK.  Pretty obvious stuff that I ought to have realised sooner but anyone else got a few bits they would like to add?

I'm going to post this on another forum too to maximise responses.

ccwc1988

Re: Tips for making WFP easier
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 04:56:22 pm »
Good for you mate, no it makes sense for us w/c to look out for each other.

Here is my tip... buy microbore 30mm hose  yes it is a bit more expensive, but look at the advantages this hose does NOT stick under tyres and such like, it is very strong, you use less water but best of all you can fit 100m on a normal 50m reel, so no more working out where to park or un-clipping to move your van. It is an absolute god send try it.... you will not be disappointed.

Not only that but the clips which are steel will have a shut off valve to save even more water soooo much easier. ;)
CCWC..if we can't reach it no-one can.

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 05:17:15 pm »
Hey Shiner,

I'm still a bit green to be giving out tips to other WC's but will watch this post with interest!

Can you tell me where you got your safety mat from?

Regards

Alistair

cybersye

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 06:01:47 pm »
like the safety mat idea and extra length hose shiner, at present I just put a cone on the hose but I can see what your getting at with the extra long bit of hose from van to reel, think I'll try that one! cheers  ;D
Alistair, you got a 99 p shop near you? they normally sell rubber door mats, thats what I'm going to try.
Simon

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 07:01:26 pm »
HOSE BETWEEN VAN AND HOSEREEL

I use 100mtr micro straight from fixed reel

Ive been looking for some kind of sign that stays fixed to the vehicle and pop's up (one each side) and points to the hose and warns of the danger. Some thing like American school buses use or for the really old one's here like the old car indicators.. any one any idea's??

I know this is not a tip but I think it could solve a lot of problems relating to warning the public about trip hazzards and would be very time effective..
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 07:09:43 pm »
Hey Shiner,

I'm still a bit green to be giving out tips to other WC's but will watch this post with interest!

Can you tell me where you got your safety mat from?

Regards

Alistair

http://www.polymax.co.uk/mainframe%20rubber%20products.htm

I bought two sheets of the "FLEXI" mat.  It's not cheap (about £45 a sheet I think) but it should last and last as it seems very durable.  It has a yellow border around it which will help with visibility.  On some footpaths I need to use both sheets due to footpath width.  I wondered if I was overdoing it at first.  However, a couple of months ago, I watched an elderly person with a stick walk over it with no trouble.  She may have had a visual impairment as she seemed to be squinting.  That was the day when I knew I was doing the right thing.
I also bought a roll of black matting too but I have never used it yet.  It will be handy one day, I'm sure.
I went to Borden in Hants to collect the matting (I was going that way anyway for another reason).  Polymax is situated in the army barracks there.  I had to phone them when I got there so they could bring it out to me  :)
I'm sure this could be done more cheaply if necessary but I just wanted something that I wouldn't have to replace a couple of years down the line.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 07:14:44 pm »
Good for you mate, no it makes sense for us w/c to look out for each other.

Here is my tip... buy microbore 30mm hose  yes it is a bit more expensive, but look at the advantages this hose does NOT stick under tyres and such like, it is very strong, you use less water but best of all you can fit 100m on a normal 50m reel, so no more working out where to park or un-clipping to move your van. It is an absolute god send try it.... you will not be disappointed.

Not only that but the clips which are steel will have a shut off valve to save even more water soooo much easier. ;)

I do intend to try that at some point.  There are two reservations I have though.  Perhaps you (or someone else) could put me straight.

1)  I have read somewhere that on the colder days, water will freeze more easily in microbore than in standard hose due to it being thinner an less water flow in it.

2)  I like to have the water really pumping fast on first cleans.  Is there sufficient flow with microbore to do a first clean without being held up?

ray l

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 07:25:20 pm »
Here,s my pennyworth ( if its any use)

1)         To those buying a wfp set up ,
 pick-up a couple of spare "y" pieces   (they go near the top on the brush)

For 60/70 pence if one brakes your not loosing a day or going back too trad. until a replacment arrives.

Ray

neil100

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 08:08:34 pm »
Shiner, 

Dont worry about m/bore freezing up. You will find the water will freeze in your pole hose first.

I do first cleans with m/bore no problem.

Nel.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 08:14:57 pm »
Dont be as dozzy as me I spent about 6 weeks cleaning with a 4 section pole extending it from the second section and waving the 2 spare sections above my head Doh  ::) 
Sussex by the sea

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 11:02:48 pm »
Shiner, 

Dont worry about m/bore freezing up. You will find the water will freeze in your pole hose first.

I do first cleans with m/bore no problem.

Nel.

Thanks for that Neil.  Yes of course it will freeze in the pole hose.  Not sure where my head is today.  Glad to hear it's fine for first cleans.

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 10:38:35 am »
Come on guys theres gotta be more tips than that

cybersye

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 04:26:53 pm »
Well heres another one,
 for anybody who wants to save a bit of water between windows when moving the pole, I have a large bulldog/crocodile clip on a short piece of chain attached to my belt loop, when moving between windows i just kink the poles hose and clip it on (usually cuts my pump out too). Also I find it much easier to control flow for a rinse/cascade of glass by just doubling the hose over and pinching between forefinger and thumb ;)
Simon

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 05:13:26 pm »
Hey Shiner,

How are you doing? I have been meaning to contact you as we are in the same area and was wondering if i could take a look at your set up? I know some guys in the same area would not be up for this but i know you have been established long enough to know we would not be a threat?

My main business is carpet / office cleaning but been doing about 40 or so houses around the maidenbower smallfield and salfords areas which started as a way of helping a mate out. Weirdly i have found i really enjoy it and thinking about expanding this side of things.

Please email office@crawleycarpetcleaning.co.uk

Regards Rob.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 05:36:42 pm »
Hey Shiner,

How are you doing? I have been meaning to contact you as we are in the same area and was wondering if i could take a look at your set up? I know some guys in the same area would not be up for this but i know you have been established long enough to know we would not be a threat?

My main business is carpet / office cleaning but been doing about 40 or so houses around the maidenbower smallfield and salfords areas which started as a way of helping a mate out. Weirdly i have found i really enjoy it and thinking about expanding this side of things.

Please email office@crawleycarpetcleaning.co.uk

Regards Rob.

Sure thing Rob.
I would be happy to show you the setup and have a chat.  The only thing I won't show is the location of my static tank and RO as it is on someone else's property.  Just in case the screw ever turns with a drought order, the less people know of its whereabouts the better  :)
I'm in West Green myself.  I do window cleaning in Crawley and the surrounding towns (including Smallfield).  Oddly enough, I'm about to "lose" a bit of work.  I'm not going to pretend that it's quality work but if you want it and the customers are OK with it you're welcome to it.  It's only about £50 worth in the Smallfield area.  No charge.  However, I feel it is underpriced and there is an access issue on one of the jobs since they starting padlocking the side gate.
I'm a bit tied up the next couple of evenings but would be happy to meet up later in the week if you wish.
If that's OK, say so on here and I'll email you my phone number.  Don't worry about the work if it's of no interest to you.  We can still meet up anyway.

Paul

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 05:53:55 pm »
Cheerrs Paul,

sounds like a beer or two could be in order!?

Rob

Mr. S

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 06:44:47 pm »
Always carry a few spares in your van if wfp. ie hose connectors, spare y pieces and of course a spare pole!

If trad carry spare blades and extra water, and dont forget the fairy!! LOL ;D

Ladders

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 07:23:12 pm »
Rinse with brush on glass, tilting brush so one jet is on window and one is rinsing off the window, this saves time and arm ache.

Rinse across top first then follow edges on each side.

Jeff
For every problem there is a solution

peterharwood

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 07:55:05 pm »
Take care when putting your pole down on the ground as the end cap may wear away and next time you put the pole down it will cut your pipe feeding the pole.

We all make mistakes I guess !

I now carry spare pipe.

david68

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 12:17:36 am »
Hi all
Clip on pipe to save water is a great tip for me .Thanks.

I am new to WFP and using a trolley sytem, could i ask for the best tips on how to clean these windows using pole.

William X i know you said you will show me, I will phone you, But at the moment i have some personal problems to sort out, I will phone you.

I have clean my own windows and finding the large sheets of glass dry great, but the little top openers seem to be drying small dotted stains where the water was.

Also do i rinse the glass from the top and slowly move the pole down the glass,
or rinse from the top only and let the water run

If you like i could start a new post

Thanks Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com