Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

paul mather

Tennis Elbow
« on: August 15, 2006, 05:40:17 pm »
Been WFPing 4 a month now & have started to develop tennis elbow. Is that a common problem & do those elasticated bandages help?
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

Trevor Knight

Re: Tennis Elbow
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 06:05:57 pm »
Try to alternate your leading hand to help ease the strain, also adjust your standing postion to alter the angle your working at.

These little changes make a big difference.

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 06:19:15 pm »
Paul,

I'm no WFP guru, but do you do 100% WFP?

I do 'tops only' and because I alternate between the pole and a squeegie, I haven't had any physical problems with the way I work (I think).

If you're getting tennis elbow from using the pole, maybe you should try similar? 

However, I do find that if I use the pole for extended periods, I get pins and needles in one of my hands, so I'll take on board some of Trev's advice about changing the leading hand and positions.

steve m

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 06:21:45 pm »
dunno about tennis elbow, but I've got a couple of huge calouses, one on the side of each thumb

paul mather

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 06:48:22 pm »
dunno about tennis elbow, but I've got a couple of huge calouses, one on the side of each thumb

Yep I 'm starting to get those already
Paul,

I'm no WFP guru, but do you do 100% WFP?

I do 'tops only' and because I alternate between the pole and a squeegie, I haven't had any physical problems with the way I work (I think).

If you're getting tennis elbow from using the pole, maybe you should try similar?

However, I do find that if I use the pole for extended periods, I get pins and needles in one of my hands, so I'll take on board some of Trev's advice about changing the leading hand and positions.

Yep I do tops & bottoms, I think the ground floor work combined with the length of the pole is probably the culprit.

Tosh, the pins & needles, do they ever get worse so that your hand feels numb? I do a little bit of lawn treatment work as well & when I have scarifying work I get serious problems. Was told it was Carpel Tunnel Syndrome.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 06:56:29 pm »
Tosh, the pins & needles, do they ever get worse so that your hand feels numb? .... was told it was Carpel Tunnel Syndrome.

Blimey, yes; sometimes my hand feels numb.

Will I live?

ronaldo

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 07:32:09 pm »
Paul i get this real bad and just recently it got so bad i took a trip to the quacks because my elbow had swole up like a goose egg.
His answer to this was something called Bursitis apparently quit commen, a course of antibiotics reduced the swelling but the pain is still there, i just try and do as much with the other arm now.
When i was cleaning trad i used to get it in my right elbow, since ive been wfp i get it in the left  :(
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

paul mather

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 08:36:17 pm »
Tosh, the pins & needles, do they ever get worse so that your hand feels numb? .... was told it was Carpel Tunnel Syndrome.

Will I live?

Just about Tosh, I think CTS is closely related to RSI, sadly most of us who do manual jobs use the same joints & muscles over & over again. Do a google on Carpel Tunnel Syndrome & see if your symptoms match up. In really serious cases surgery is recommended but my  symptoms come & go so I suppose I've decided to live with the problem as it isn't chronic.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

will318

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 11:34:05 pm »
I've got a friend in Denmark who has been using WFP for 10 years and has now had to find another job due to health problems sustained while cleaning. Even though he warned me some time ago, I have had to cut down on WFP because of arm/shoulder problems. I do mainly domestic work now and the aches and pains have almost completely gone. You must obey the warning signs from your body before it's too late.

craig jwc

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 08:45:02 am »
I've been wfp for about 12 months now and only had problems with my hands and shoulders when i 1st started.
I've never had any problems with my elbows.
I do move my position about when working which might be the reason why i haven't had any problems.
If anything i feel alot fitter in myself.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 08:47:34 am »
I've had the numb hands and fingers, usually worse first thing in the morning if I am poling constantly, I just rest the pole on the ground and shake my arms and hands loosely by my side for 30 seconds and it goes away.
My problems in that area started when I was a decorator, was using a high pressure water jetting unit (approx 10,000 psi) and you had to squeeze the trigger so hard to get maximum pressure.
Had fingers like sausages by the time I'd finished...used it on and off quite regularly for a couple of years and have suffered ever since :'(
What can make things worse for someone using WFP is that some of the poles can't be reduced, so you are using and lifting all the sections all the time.
One of the advantages of the Unger poles is that you only need to use the poles you have to, and simply add or take off those that you don't need, it is a big advantage to pole systems that have the pole hose on the outside of the pole and not up through the pole.
And of course as Trevor has said...change hands frequently!! After a while you will do it without thinking about it.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

geefree

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 09:01:02 am »
i had tennis elbow for 3 years , eveyrthing the doc said and did was useless, someone recommended acupuncture... i paid 25 quid for 2 sessions privately.... and it disappeared. never had it since.

ronaldo

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 09:19:13 am »
Paul try this one of my mates that plays alot of squash says its brilliant.

www.ctcream.com.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

jeff1

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 10:50:57 am »
Quote from: Tosh .
[quote

Will I live?

NO  ;D

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 08:41:27 pm »
This is the sort of topic that the majority will not bother reading until its too late but  will want to refer back to it if it happens to you.
Rsi is a worldwide problem otherwise Unger would not have brought out their ergotec range. I have 18 months of upper torso injury problems, once you get it, it can permanately damage you , inspite of medication and alternative cures. I think the jury is still out as to whether wfp is the culprit, but I do urge caution if you get any sort of deep pain somewhere wher you are not quite sure where it is.
Its one reason why I spent good money developing the featherlight fishing poles.
Please be careful out there, the higher you go the harder it gets and money is no compensation.
Could I ask more to contribute to further the info available which I will put in a safe place.

neil collie

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 08:29:03 pm »
I have been using aliminium poles since March.
The numb hands & achy thumbs were the first signs I noticed.
After a while I started to notice problems in my shoulders.
Started getting physio / acupunture once a week, then I developed tennis elbow in my left arm. Two weeks later got tennis elbow in rhe right.
My business partner now does all the 3rd and 4th floor polling, but even holding a 3 foot pole kills after about 5 minutes.
Physio says take a month off, as rest is the only solution.
Had today off because of injuries & gotta a call off partner tonight saying he thinks he may be developing tennis elbow aswell.
Be careful chaps - once the pain starts it doesn't go away.

TVCS

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 08:43:39 pm »
Its wonderful when you read something you wish you read 3 months ago.
Hi all.  Been poling for 2 and a bit months and guess what.  Great big fat pains in my left elbow.  I am right handed and I guess you other guys are who have trouble with the left arm.
Been to the doctors and he said it was nerve trouble which is all conected to a bach injury I had years ago.  He said a cautisone ( I'm sure this is spelt completely wrong, sorry) injection would cure it.  First of all he has given me some pain killers to see how I get on.
My wife plays abit of footie and her physio said to try the hot & cold method and see if that helps.
In a hot bath, soak the injured area for about 5 mins.  Then remove from the water and place a ice pack on the area for 5 mins.  Repeat a few times.
Cant tell you if it works cos the first time I tried it I dropped the tea towel full of ice into the bath and that spoilt it really. 
I have noticed that it isnt as bad when I just do the tops wfp so that is the way forward whenever possible now.
Ant
TVCS
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

dai

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 08:52:53 pm »
I had a pain in my right elbow when I was using the backflip as a single pass tool. I found the the elastic elbow support really helped, and I was fine in a couple of days.
 It came back a couple of times but a day with the support seems to fix it for months. DAI

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 09:13:03 pm »
More info on the other forum .... anotherforum.co.uk in the WFP section A-Z under the "Back pages"

MartinB

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 10:50:44 am »
email mb@williamsonpumps.co.uk for details of the POLEKEEPER from Carbonized Pole Systems.

A ergonomical system designed to distribute a large portion of the weight over the torso, rather than just the arms.

The POLEKEEPER won an innovation award at Interclean Amsterdam 2005.