This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Trevor Knight

Re: MANUFACTURED OR NOT ?
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 08:06:12 am »
are you guys blind?  its 2 pics side by side - not the same street!

Thats the funniest thing I have read on here in ages.

Like any of us think its 1 picture, didn't the big tear down the middle suggest it may have been two pictures or did you think it was a white building with funny brickwork??

Cheers, You've made my day.

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

eddie d

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2006, 12:03:10 pm »
yes as usual this is rubbish.ohh the big debate .

Fast 1 *

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2006, 12:13:21 pm »

Like any of us think its 1 picture, didn't the big tear down the middle suggest it may have been two pictures or did you think it was a white building with funny brickwork??

Trev
i dont think he meant it like that lol
wildstyles

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2006, 02:56:44 pm »
Just an observation but the ladder looks like a typical window cleaners pointed ladder so the maximum contact point would be 3 points,

these ladders were designed to fit to the edges of frames and or builingds to make them safer.

ive run a window cleaning company for 11 years and all of our ladders were pointed and much safer than the standard type.

as for the advert well it is only there to sell machines

standing on the ground whilst cleaning windows and facades upto 60ft high is safer than climbing a ladder.

you will also work quicker in turn earn more money whilst staying safe as you work.

certain types of ads are there to get people talking and this one certainly is

rgds,
stuart
www.skypolesystems.com

Fast 1 *

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2006, 03:11:57 pm »

Trev
i dont think he meant it like that lol
actually,after reading the thread again,i think he did.lol
wildstyles

beefy

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2006, 10:11:32 pm »
stuart skypole do you mean you had a pointer that was  same hieght as ladder in pick, if so what a tool!!!  i regularly do same type of job often with 3 contact points but i use 11, 14 &16ft doubles & yes i am getting wfp but only for certain work

poleman

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2006, 11:32:44 pm »
Just to add, the window cleaner in the photo was not using a pointer, as I have seen close up photos when they 1st come out (Sep 05) and its a normal ladder which did not have 4 points on contact

Andy

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2006, 09:24:29 am »
This whole debate is based on deceit on the part of the originator.

It makes me very angry when I see deliberate attempts to distort the reality of any situation regarding safety issues, for the dubious benefit of the author.

The photograph of the ladder is too indistinct to be able to see exactly what the situation is, and so can be manipulated to make it seem whatever the author wants it to be.

Regarding the safety of the ladder:

If an open ended ladder is set with the top of one stile set into the reveal of the window, and the other on the wall, and the top rung is NOT in contact with the corner of the brickwork, or the stile touching the window sill,  this is the SAFEST  way it can be set.

The tops of both stiles are firmly in contact with the building, and the ladder CANNOT move sideways, unlike one set square against the wall where the ladder could (in extreme circumstances) slide sideways.  (This is exactly as recommended by the H&S for using pointed ladders.)

PROVIDED THAT both feet are in firm contact with the ground, and the ladder is not at too shallow an angle to avoid contact with the sill, then this is the SAFEST way to approach ANY window with a reveal deep enough to accept the ladder stile.  The only advantage a pointer ladder would have over the open ender is the splayed foot giving greater protection against twisting.

Although I would only ever use a pointer ladder, I feel it is deeply insulting to careful, experienced tradesmen when unscrupulous people deliberatley misrepresent important safety issues for their own selfish purposes.

Cheers

Ian

Paul Coleman

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2006, 11:30:55 am »
Hmm, know what you mean Trev, but my personal preference is to not reach over sideways.
I find that when faced with a tall window using the corner avoids reaching.

Still, like we said personal preference....

I've done it that way too at times Rog.
Another method I've used with very tall windows is a stand-off to hold me away from the wall.  That may not be the best way for the situation in the picture as the base of the ladder would be in the road.

P®oPole™

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2006, 01:44:45 pm »
Is this the photo of andrew lee's lad :o :o :o, someone please enlighten me?????????

jinky230

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2006, 02:22:43 pm »
the type of window done by the traditional window cleaner was done for years by limpet bars attached to the ladders and  adjustable safety feet attachment to allow for any slopes and this was the method recommended by h and s for years

how the future changes

jinky

Paul Coleman

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2006, 04:51:47 pm »
This whole debate is based on deceit on the part of the originator.

It makes me very angry when I see deliberate attempts to distort the reality of any situation regarding safety issues, for the dubious benefit of the author.

The photograph of the ladder is too indistinct to be able to see exactly what the situation is, and so can be manipulated to make it seem whatever the author wants it to be.

Regarding the safety of the ladder:

If an open ended ladder is set with the top of one stile set into the reveal of the window, and the other on the wall, and the top rung is NOT in contact with the corner of the brickwork, or the stile touching the window sill,  this is the SAFEST  way it can be set.

The tops of both stiles are firmly in contact with the building, and the ladder CANNOT move sideways, unlike one set square against the wall where the ladder could (in extreme circumstances) slide sideways.  (This is exactly as recommended by the H&S for using pointed ladders.)

PROVIDED THAT both feet are in firm contact with the ground, and the ladder is not at too shallow an angle to avoid contact with the sill, then this is the SAFEST way to approach ANY window with a reveal deep enough to accept the ladder stile.  The only advantage a pointer ladder would have over the open ender is the splayed foot giving greater protection against twisting.

Although I would only ever use a pointer ladder, I feel it is deeply insulting to careful, experienced tradesmen when unscrupulous people deliberatley misrepresent important safety issues for their own selfish purposes.

Cheers

Ian

It would have been a much fairer advert if both methods of window cleaning were shown on the same window.  Ionics could still have made a good case for WFP by showing both methods used on the right hand picture but not by showing both methods on the left picture.