This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

windolene

MANUFACTURED OR NOT ?
« on: August 04, 2006, 09:06:05 am »
Hi,

Surely the photograph of the window cleaner in the ionics advert in the Latest issue of Cleaning & Maintenance is manufactured by ionics?

It shows a window cleaner up a  ladder on a narrow pavement forcing pedestrians to walk on the road to get past. Not only that, for he has an open ended ladder with the rung resting against the corner of the wall!.

Kevin WINDOLENE.

telboy

Re: MANUFACTURED OR NOT ?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 12:13:50 pm »
I agree with you Kevin

It does look a bit contrived.

Even though I use trad and WFP

I dont like this kind of advert.

Telboy

Angel C/S

Trevor Knight

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 01:59:29 pm »
Hi Kevin,

Can you post the picture for people to look at??

Many thanks,

Trevor
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Roy Harding

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 02:12:32 pm »
Here it is Trev

Roy

Trevor Knight

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 02:23:42 pm »
Thanks for that Roy,

So, lets take a look at this:

The ladder is at an angle instead of flat against the wall next to it where the operative would be able to comfortably reach the whole window frame?

The operative has managed to squash himself into a tight angle instead of allowing himself plenty of space by putting the ladder to the side of the window.

He is wearing company issued clothing with a professional window cleaners belt, appears to be experienced yet he is carrying out this task all the wrong way and at the same time happens to be thinking about loopholes??

The other guy however, is carrying out what looks like to be a safe and well presented example of WFP work whilst thinking about his customers safety despite what looks like blocking the road off with his vehicle. Hope they don't have a fire drill and he stops the Fire Services getting to the building.

My conclusion?

FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best wishes,

Trev

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 02:38:29 pm »
I regularly put my ladder in the corner of the window.
Nothing wrong with that, it can't go anywhere and it often feels more solid.

It's just trying to put it down to sell wfp.

If I owned a ladder company I would use a picture of a wfp user with hoses spread all over the pavement, leaving water or ice everywhere and poking a small child in the eye with the handle of his pole.  :'(

All this, while blocking a narrow street with his van and blocking an ambulance from attending a granny who's just tripped on a hose and cracked her swede.

Double standards or what?

Trevor Knight

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 02:45:35 pm »

Totally agree squeaky, I have and still do myself.

My only point is on this particular photo I think it would have been far easier flat against the wall next to the window. Easy to reach, not cramped and more believable.

Trev

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 02:53:42 pm »
Hmm, know what you mean Trev, but my personal preference is to not reach over sideways.
I find that when faced with a tall window using the corner avoids reaching.

Still, like we said personal preference....

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 06:03:24 pm »

Totally agree squeaky, I have and still do myself.

My only point is on this particular photo I think it would have been far easier flat against the wall next to the window. Easy to reach, not cramped and more believable.

Trev

Having it flat against the wall may have caused his ladder to be in the road though.
The best bit about these ads is how the photographer can actually read peoples' minds though.
"USE WFP AND BECOME PSYCHIC"  Nah.  It doesn't sound right does it?

poleman

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 06:15:27 pm »
YES I remember this photo of this bloke working, a ladder should have 4 points of contact, and he is putting the public at danger.

It was posted last September on anotherforum and he is an employee of the Feds health & safety officer

Andy 

Trevor Knight

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 06:15:51 pm »
In reality the guy up the ladder is really thinking "bloody hell, she's fit in there"!!!!!

The guy with the pole is really thinking "bet there is some top totty up there, wish I had a camera on this pole"!!!

JM123

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 06:24:40 pm »
are you guys blind?  its 2 pics side by side - not the same street!  look a bit closer and you'll see that the van isn't blocking a street but what appears to be a pedestrian area.

FAKE - definitely, another reason why I don't like Ionics all that much - they really do talk the biggest lot of s**t.

Although I'm all for wfp, I still believe ladders are relatively safe and I really don't like this kind of attempt to batter the image of ladders which have been safely used by thousands if not millions of wcs all over the world for longer than anyone here has been around, ladders are like a car - use them safely and in 99.9% of cases you'll be safe, misuse them and you're asking for trouble.  Typical Ionics trying to put ladder users down as 'unprofessional', winds me up - squeeky I'm right behind you on this one.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 06:50:42 pm »
Mr JM123 has just gone up in my estimatation. ;)

poleman

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 06:52:14 pm »
Its NOT FAKE read here... (Window Cleaning - Bad Practice) http://www.nfmwgc.com/bbc_newsnight.htm

Andy

Fast 1 *

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 07:01:34 pm »
sometimes it seems that wfp users(and companys that make the equipment)are totally against,and at times patronise traditional window cleaning.This gets my back up.Surely window cleaners are window cleaners.I reckon the divide will get stronger and stronger,especially with pictures like that.I window clean using traditional methods,and i am professional in the use of my ladders.pictures like that just drag trad further in the gutter.
wildstyles

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 07:06:07 pm »
It's a big marketing scam which makes lots of money.
They'll do all they can to get people to spend daft money.
This is why I won't let myself be taken in by it.

Once wfp gets banned for public safety, there will something else that costs a fortune and then they'll be slagging of wfp no end because it suits them.... ::)

JM123

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 07:09:33 pm »
well I'm only speaking the truth - I started out using ladders, I don't do any upstairs work with ladders now but thats not because I reckon ladders are unsafe - of course it is safer working from the ground, I mainly use wfp because I make a lot more money with it.

This ladder bashing has to stop - no one was bashing ladders before wfp came along even though plenty of wcs have been using extension poles for ages.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Fast 1 *

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 07:14:35 pm »
You know
wildstyles

Paul Coleman

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 07:16:00 pm »
well I'm only speaking the truth - I started out using ladders, I don't do any upstairs work with ladders now but thats not because I reckon ladders are unsafe - of course it is safer working from the ground, I mainly use wfp because I make a lot more money with it.

This ladder bashing has to stop - no one was bashing ladders before wfp came along even though plenty of wcs have been using extension poles for ages.

I've come to prefer WFP as I've got used to it and I feel that it is safer than ladders.  However, if used properly, ladders are fine by me.  I use a ladder on certain jobs but more sparingly than I used to.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006, 07:53:21 pm »
I would agree with squeaks first reply, I don't see anything wrong with putting the ladder into the corner of the window like that, providing you still have four, even points of contact it is a very safe way of securing the ladder, and it's highly unlikely to slip sideways, plus you are not stood on the top rung, balancing on your tip-toes! :o

But I don't blame Ionics for the nature of their ad, if you are going to compare ladders to poles and use photo's to do so, then of course you are going to slant things in your favour.
And as squeaks said in a further reply, were you a ladder manufacturer you would do the reverse and highlight perceived problems with poles and hoses.

But ladders, even used safely are inherently dangerous, it only takes one tiny mistake....
But I also don't think it is right that we should be stopped from using them...they'll stop us from climbing trees or playing conkers next...they might even try to stop kids running in the play ground in case they fall over and hurt themselves!!
I can see the day when they will even try to make children wear long sleeves and trousers in the summer in case they get sunburned....oh...hang on...it is all happening already isn't it...long live the nanny state :-\

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES