This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jeff1

Have you Mods gone power mad
« on: August 03, 2006, 08:05:33 am »
I used the title to grab the attention of the moderators.

I am very curious to find out why you locked the topic by Paul, after reading through it I found nothing offensive or out of line, but then realised it was not in the right forum,

ok so you locked it, but then I read down and find another post by dennis in the wrong section, but guess what? You left that one open,

Is it a case of moderator power, When i know both moderators were on line and both topics could have been locked.

Would it not for the benefit of new members, be easy for the moderators, Just to give a short reason why you lock a thread.
You will get new members reading locked threads and wondering why they are locked, they may become to weiry to post anything in the future, so for the benefit of new members can you please give your reasons for locking threads.

and before you jump down my throat, I know the hard work involved in being a moderator, I am a moderator on one forum,admin in another and the owner of another, and it is all hard work just trying to keep pace, but if any topic becomes off topic, no post is ever locked with out a reason, it makes me feel better and it give the poster reason for any future posts they may add.

paul mather

Re: Have you Mods gone power mad
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 08:39:22 am »
Sigh, very interesting, and were I not a mod I'd make some replies in kind, but as I'm not.....
Locked!

Thank you Ian for your kind comments!!

Thanks for your comments Jeff1, I think this sort of attitude is what is making this forum feel less inviting to post on.
As most of us have Avatars on here how is my posting off topic, I don't get it?

What I do know is in the last couple of weeks this forum seems to have changed. There are less postings & many seem very quick to take offensive at anything said by anyone else(With their tongue in their cheek) I personally asked for one of my own subjects to be removed a few days ago as it seemed to be provoking very negative responses, when all it was designed to do was have a bit of banter & at the same time make a serious comment. Perhaps the attitude of certain moderators is not helping.

Frankly if the said mod is going to continue to take that sort of attitude I probably won't bother posting on here as much.

We're not school kids, we don't have to be here spending  time on this forum.

IAN, STOP TREATING US LIKE CHILDREN.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

Morph

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 08:49:17 am »
There are some who act like school children though, and seem to have one track minds putting everything into sexual innuendos etc.  You can get tired of it.
Sadly I have decided to just read from now on, no posting, as I do get drawn in.
I came on here for the useful exchange in knowledge and experience, and occasional humour to boost the morale.
It's a shame it gets stirred up by just one or two idiots, some not even window cleaners!  What "sad lifes" post on a window cleaning forum, mainly sexual innuendos, and are not even window cleaners ???
GET A LIFE!  You know who you are.

Chris Cottrell

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 09:26:28 am »
Sigh, very interesting, and were I not a mod I'd make some replies in kind, but as I'm not.....
Locked!

Thank you Ian for your kind comments!!

Thanks for your comments Jeff1, I think this sort of attitude is what is making this forum feel less inviting to post on.
As most of us have Avatars on here how is my posting off topic, I don't get it?

Hi Paul
I found nothing you or what the other members said to be offensive rood or in any way out of context and quite enjoyed the little bannter going on,

but before the mods return, they will reply to you saying it should have been in the completely non related section, as should the topic FAO Tosh post, I find nothing wrong in either postings, but just couldnt understand why they locked your post and not the other.

Like I said it would be curtious to give you a reason for locking yours or any other thread they don't like,or for any other reason they feel is inappropriate, after reading both topics again, I have come to the conclusion that some mods are only reading topics of interest to them selves much the way we do.

The forum is becoming over moderated, in some areas and under moderated in others and this is one reason for the decline in members posting, I for one know one member who left this forum for this reason and we may find this topic also gets locked.

Paul keep posting your topics don't stop, I for one have read all your topics, and you have given this forum some good input, and at this moment in time it needs all the input it can get, due to its  decline.

Look at Pj again another very good poster, who has now decided to just read topics, we need topics like his, he was/is a good regular poster, and again I used to read all pj's posts, but if he feels the way he does, then maybe again the mods were not doing there jobs properly to protect him and other members from sexual innuendos, the rules of the forum strictly forbid this kind of innuendo, so come on you mods get your acts together and do the correct thing for the members ond the forum.

PS Paul I liked your avatar, and pj please come back

Trevor Knight

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 10:02:01 am »
Hi Jeff,

As you may or may not be aware I have been a moderator on this forum for the last couple of months now.

In fairness I have tried my best to keep the forum running along nicely without too much fuss. I feel the posts I have acted on have ALL been ones that have been reported to me.

Yes I check as many postings as I can and I always check any new ones that hit the forum. To give you an idea, this takes me in the region of at least an hour each day, which I do FREE OF CHARGE!

I do this because I enjoy this forum, not because I am some school bully or power hungry person, as I am sure all the other moderators do. We donate our time to keep this as it is, the best cleaning forum in the country.

Being a moderator is a thankless task of which without any the forum would become rediculous. For every action there will always be a re-action, some will like it, others won't.

If we want to be silly about it an start pointing fingers at each other then maybe the people posting should make sure they take responsibility to ensure the posting is in the right section in the first place so moderators can make the most effective use of the free time they have.

Best wishes,

Trev

Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

matt

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 10:28:05 am »
Trev

this inst a dig at you or any of the other mods

i run a few fairly popular forums, im also a mod on a couple of tech related forums

EVERY forum i have been admin or mod on, we have allways had a rule, i have mentioned this before, a year or so ago, i mentioned it to Mike aswell

It works well and means posts can be closed / edited without people wondering why

the rule

if a mod / admin edits of locks a post, then he should write at the bottom of the thread (we allways use RED) Why its happened

this works as most users only want to know why its been edited or locked, thats the main reason people get miffed, its because they dont know

ecowasher

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 10:42:08 am »
shouldnt this post be elsewhere?  Its not specifically a 'window cleaning issue' is it??

;D ;D ;D
Beer!

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 02:02:36 pm »
Hi Jeff,

As you may or may not be aware I have been a moderator on this forum for the last couple of months now.

In fairness I have tried my best to keep the forum running along nicely without too much fuss. I feel the posts I have acted on have ALL been ones that have been reported to me.

Yes I check as many postings as I can and I always check any new ones that hit the forum. To give you an idea, this takes me in the region of at least an hour each day, which I do FREE OF CHARGE!

I do this because I enjoy this forum, not because I am some school bully or power hungry person, as I am sure all the other moderators do. We donate our time to keep this as it is, the best cleaning forum in the country.

Being a moderator is a thankless task of which without any the forum would become rediculous. For every action there will always be a re-action, some will like it, others won't.

If we want to be silly about it an start pointing fingers at each other then maybe the people posting should make sure they take responsibility to ensure the posting is in the right section in the first place so moderators can make the most effective use of the free time they have.

Best wishes,

Trev

Hi Trev,
I am aware that you are a moderator on the forum, and like i stated in my original thread, I do know what is entailed in being a moderator, and i also know that you give your time freely and for this thank you.

but you have not answered the original 2 questions i put forward for the moderators reply

first question was why was one topic locked and not the other? neither topic containing anything of offensive material but i suppose in the wrong forum is what part of the answer will be, so why was one locked and not the other.

Second question was why for the extra couple of minutes it takes can you not give the reason for locking topic's, or if a thread is going off topic post a warning?  I do, and reading matts thread so does he, we can all go to different forums and see locked topics, but all with an explanation as to why there locked?

and I do appreciate all the work that moderaters do for the forum.

Kind Regards

jeff

Ian_Giles

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 02:29:20 pm »
Ok, the reason I locked the thread was because it was not window cleaning related.

Those that want banter, fun and to post witty one liners are more than welcome to in the non related section of the forum.

If I could have done so I would have moved the topic into that section, but unfortunately, though I should be able to do so, I keep getting an error report.

If I miss a non window cleaning topic it is because I haven't read it, it can take a while to read through every post, and there are times when I simply do not have the time to plough through them all.

As you all say, there was nothing remotely offensive in the post, and if I was not a mod on here I would have joined in the banter (it's one of the reasons Tosh is no longer a mod)

Whether you like it or not, the 'Window Cleaning Issues' side of this forum is for just that, window cleaning issues, when a post is made that is not, then if noticed it will be moved if possible or locked, or if deemed offensive, removed.

I shall now check out the one that Tosh has made and I've no doubt I'll lock it if it isn't window cleaning related >:(

Niether myself or Trevor need do very much moderating on here, like Trevor I mostly respond to any posts that have been reported, occasionally I'll edit out a swear word (even if it has been asterisked)

When a thread has mutated into little more than jokey one liners I lock it, the odd witty one liner isn't a problem, but once one starts there can be reply after reply in a similar vein, the thread is then little more than chat room fluff, ergo unprofessional in appearance and usually strayed way off the original topic.

Too much clique-like wit amongst guys who have become forum mates can also make it a little offputting for newbies to put in their own twopenorth.

I have replied at length mostly so that any new guys to the forum can understand the format.

In this section it is window cleaning related, stray, and if spotted it will be removed or locked.

You want witty reparté then toddle off to the unrelated section ;)

And yep, you've guessed it, I'm going to be locking this subject shortly.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Fast 1 *

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 03:22:58 pm »
stick that in your pipe and smoke it!
wildstyles

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 04:18:10 pm »

Ian
Thank you for your reply, but i still think members including myself would like to see the reasons for locking  any topic that mods lock.

I put this post in this section because I would have been   asking the wrong moderators in the in the right section, so it would have been a case of bat and ball between mods so lock it if you must??

telboy

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 05:14:35 pm »
I agree with all that Ian has said
I cant see why some folk are getting out of there prams
Rather childish I would say :(

Telboy  ;)

Angel C/S

JM123

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 05:19:08 pm »
I suppose at the end of the day its the decision of the mods to lock threads - stating why they locked a thread would be nice but I was thinking maybe giving a bit of prior notice wiuld be nice too - its really annoying when a thread is locked all of a sudden.

I'm sorry to say it but this forum has really lost its appeal in the last couple of weeks - its easy to see why the likes of steve (liverpool) don't post here anymore,

if you are going to lock a thread at least have the decency to give a half hour warning or something, we all appreciate the  work that is put into moderating but if people are posting on a tipic its because it interests them or they have something to say.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 05:22:53 pm »

Ian

Frankly It's exactly that sort of attitude that I object to.

Have you ever heard of the phrase "It aint what u do it's the way that u do it.

I think the term is cocky

Ah come on Paul; Ian_Giles isn't the least bit cocky; just a tadge annoyed.

Both the mods here are spot on guys and it's difficult to please everyone all of the time.

A previous mod here regularly 'spanked' me, locked or deleted my threads; he was a proper autocrat.  This thread wouldn't even have gotten this far with him.  It'd've been locked and a message sent to Jeff1 (the originator), telling him off.

But this mod was actually 'spot on'.

Me, I didn't like being a mod; I wasn't professional enough; and prefer being the naught kid at the back of the class; keeping the mods on their toes.

Even now they're still deleting my stuff, but there's no point whinging.  

I know if I keep my posts window cleaning related and non-offensive; no-one is going to lock, amend or delete my posts.

And if I deviate; there's a good chance they will.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 05:24:59 pm »
I agree with all that Ian has said
I cant see why some folk are getting out of there prams
Rather childish I would say :(

Telboy  ;)

Angel C/S
...and I agree with you Smellboy. ;D

All Ian's doing is stopping an inappropriate thread.

That's a mod's job. To remove posts or threads out of context.
If it was in the chat section it would still be there....

Bum..... I just agreed with Gilesy. :(

telboy

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 05:40:37 pm »
Streaky

Nice to know we have something in  common :D

Telboy  ;)

JM123

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 07:39:40 pm »
Streaky

Nice to know we have something in  common :D

Telboy  ;)

AAAAAAHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

STREAKY CLEAN!!

I like it!! ;D
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 08:17:35 pm »
Cowboy Telboy made that up years ago. ;D

That's why I called him Smellboy, to see if he remembered.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 09:12:31 pm »
You see what I mean about the amusing one liners now??

So, I gave a few hours notice that this one would be locked ;)

Locked 8)
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES