van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

anderclean

rain and staff
« on: September 30, 2024, 08:50:06 am »
morning guys
wondered how you guys that employ get on with paying or not paying staff when it rains !?

we work in all weathers except 'heavy' rain (sub-zero, high winds)
but, if you had 2 or 3 or 5 or 6 of heavy rain days in a row, staff still have to earn something !!
maybe not full money, but they can't sit in the van all day (or even a few hours) for nothing
Our guys are paid a minimum daily amount + more (%) for exceeding targets
Need to put something in writing for our contracts
any help appreciated..

Arnold Palmer

Re: rain and staff
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2024, 09:04:58 am »
Contract them for minimum X hours per week.

It's very rare we do less than the contracted hours. Only when it's sub zero for extended periods, even then we find stuff for them to do.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2024, 01:01:06 pm »
Personally I'd just tell them they have to crack on and work in the rain.....it very rarely rains constantly ALL day....

Although today is one of them! It's not stopped all day but I'm out working in it(I'm on my 3rd goretex jacket now)...only another hour to do and I'll be heading off home. It's unpleasant yes but I like my fridays off so just crack on!👍🙂
price higher/work harder!

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2024, 01:33:49 pm »
Their contract should stipulate that working in the rain is part of the job.  However if they don't want to work in rainy conditions they can do so without pay.

Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2024, 02:07:06 pm »
Our contract is flexible  we state it’s 30 hours a week minimum but over a year and pay monthly so 30 x 52 = 1560  divided by 12, so 130 hrs per month.

So rain days are 0 hrs or 2 or 3 hrs depending on weather conditions but they work a bit longer on other days.

If short at the end of the month we will makeup the shortfall - but these hours are to be caught up over the following months
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Tam1872

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2024, 02:07:33 pm »
If it rains to heavy and they go home then they only get paid for the time they were working. If you have someone out at work for 8 hours but only pay them 4 because they were in the van the other 4 then that's ilegal. If you have them out 8 hours you pay them 8 hours.

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2024, 02:11:21 pm »
Don’t have them sitting in the van for 4 hours - for us it’s a maximum of 45 mins - they can buy a coffee on the company card - if no change to the weather that’s it for the day ( pay is from walking into the unit until they leave the unit on return )
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Tam1872

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2024, 02:21:31 pm »
Our contract is flexible  we state it’s 30 hours a week minimum but over a year and pay monthly so 30 x 52 = 1560  divided by 12, so 130 hrs per month.

So rain days are 0 hrs or 2 or 3 hrs depending on weather conditions but they work a bit longer on other days.

If short at the end of the month we will makeup the shortfall - but these hours are to be caught up over the following months

If it's unworkable conditions for a few days one week then if there contracted to 30 hours a week you have to pay them 30 hours regardless if they have worked it or not, if you add any extra hours the following week then legally there entitled to extra money for the extra hours they have worked.

colin bird

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2024, 03:30:22 pm »
Don’t have them sitting in the van for 4 hours - for us it’s a maximum of 45 mins - they can buy a coffee on the company card - if no change to the weather that’s it for the day ( pay is from walking into the unit until they leave the unit on return )

you sound like a good boss mate

simon w

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2024, 05:36:46 pm »
It's an outdoor job, when it rains you get wet, no different for postmen and many other professions

SB Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2024, 06:21:58 pm »
Get them on the gutter clearing/fascias/conservatory roofs.
.I try to save these types of jobs for bad weather.

Bungle

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2024, 08:00:14 pm »
Personally I'd just tell them they have to crack on and work in the rain.....it very rarely rains constantly ALL day....

Although today is one of them! It's not stopped all day but I'm out working in it(I'm on my 3rd goretex jacket now)...only another hour to do and I'll be heading off home. It's unpleasant yes but I like my fridays off so just crack on!👍🙂

Remind us of how good Gortex jackets are again. If you're out cleaning windows and you have to keep changing your jacket to a dry one every couple of hours then I think there's something wrong with you. Just go home!
We look at them, they look through them.

Smudger

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2024, 09:43:46 pm »

If it's unworkable conditions for a few days one week then if there contracted to 30 hours a week you have to pay them 30 hours regardless if they have worked it or not, if you add any extra hours the following week then legally there entitled to extra money for the extra hours they have worked.

read the post - Flexi hours - I believe the post office run the same type of system where they have less hours in the summer and more leading unto Christmas
there is/has always been plenty of time to catch up the unworked hours

DJW

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2024, 09:51:47 pm »

Remind us of how good Gortex jackets are again. If you're out cleaning windows and you have to keep changing your jacket to a dry one every couple of hours then I think there's something wrong with you. Just go home!

Bin bags are cheaper and more waterproof I would think.

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2024, 08:46:20 am »

They are the best of a bad bunch! All 3 are dry now ready for today's rain!🤣👍

I didn't realise how bad it was going to be yesterday.It was virtually heavy rain all day with no breaks but once I start work I find it very difficult to go home if I've still got jobs to clean on my worksheet. I worked 9am-2pm(21 granny flats,5 large houses).

The reason I take 3 jackets in the van  is that it keeps me going,otherwise I'd get fed up and go home which is just no good at all!👍

Stoots

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2024, 04:41:07 pm »
Yesterday was ridiculous it was absolutely bouncing down in the afternoon. I went home at 10. There's rain then theres that  ;D

Worked today which was bad enough light to moderate.

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2024, 07:03:34 pm »
If I'd took Bungles advice I'd be over £500 down this week already and no chance of my normal 3 day weekend!😂

Yes I got wet this afternoon but only one goretex jacket needed!😎👍

Greta

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2024, 09:57:19 pm »
Soaked through to my smalls yesterday. If it rains, we get wet.
Call me Greta.

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2024, 05:18:05 pm »
Soaked through to my smalls yesterday. If it rains, we get wet.

Used all 3 jackets again today and was soaked to the bone. Even my goretex boots finally leaked!

It's been heavy rain all day here today with only a brief interlude for an hour at noon.

All my work was completed and almost a record day(mostly commercial jobs today)😎👍

Glad to be home and dry now though as it's been a truly horribly wet day!

SB Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2024, 06:53:16 pm »
I did a FSG  and conservatory roof and went home at 12 i was drenched.