This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jay Le Huray

what would you do?
« on: September 14, 2024, 09:36:55 am »
Hi guys I'm not trying to create a drama as I have accepted what has happened.

So here goes, on Thursday  morning I was rushed into hospital after having a stroke,  Luckily it was only a small one and I was sent home last night. (Friday)
I lost all use in my left arm but that is slowly getting better

I have to go back to hospital first thing Monday to have Carotid Endarterectomy (basically unblock an artery from my neck)

The consultant has banned me from driving for 4 weeks but should be okay after that period.

I was intending to retire summer next year when my wife gets her pension BTW I'm now 71 and was still fit enough to work.

I may wait until the 4 weeks are up and then go back to work if I'm okay, if not then I guess it will be time to  completely retire and sell up so if this is the case I would appreciate your advice.

1 Do I sell the business as a going concern (van, equipment and round) all as one?
2 Sell the van separate (2016 vivaro  just under 64000 miles in good order) what would I get for it £9000 £10,000 ?
3 Sell all separate ie,  Van... equipment ... round ... ?

I average  between £600 -£800 per week and I live in Southampton

Sorry it's a bit long but any sound advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance Jay

AuRavelling79

Re: what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2024, 10:28:53 am »

So here goes, on Thursday  morning I was rushed into hospital after having a stroke,  Luckily it was only a small one and I was sent home last night. (Friday)

I have to go back to hospital first thing Monday to have Carotid Endarterectomy (basically unblock an artery from my neck)

The consultant has banned me from driving for 4 weeks but should be okay after that period.

I was intending to retire summer next year when my wife gets her pension BTW I'm now 71 and was still fit enough to work.

I may wait until the 4 weeks are up and then go back to work if I'm okay, if not then I guess it will be time to  completely retire and sell up so if this is the case I would appreciate your advice.

1 Do I sell the business as a going concern (van, equipment and round) all as one?
2 Sell the van separate (2016 vivaro  just under 64000 miles in good order) what would I get for it £9000 £10,000 ?

Thanks in advance Jay

So sorry to hear your bad luck Jay.

If there isn't an absolute pressing need I would ...

See how things go on Monday.

I wouldn't continue at the pace you are and either cut back to your cream work of say £1000 a month to keep active (selling the rest of your round) or retire completely. By selling your gear completely I suppose you have an injection of 10K 'ish which is pretty much like continuing to work for a year part time. At 71 I wouldn't want to be doing much more if even that.

Not being a matchmaker but maybe someone reliable and fair like Vin at Perfect Windows might have a suggestion as to a good way forward. ;) ;D

Do you have hobbies and interests? I'm planning on helping out on a heritage railway if they'll have me!  Tickets please! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

tlwcs

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2024, 10:36:29 am »
Sorry to learn this Jay.
79 is spot on over the grand a month work if you’re able to keep active and some income.
Also I don’t know Vin but he comes across as a decent bloke and may be able to help you out short term
Good luck Monday and moving forward
Tony

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2024, 10:51:21 am »
Get well soon

I would speak to vin - you might get a complete sale it out any hassle

If I was in your position I’d take the hint and sell now
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2024, 11:01:24 am »

Thanks in advance Jay

So sorry to hear your bad luck Jay.

If there isn't an absolute pressing need I would ...

See how things go on Monday.

I wouldn't continue at the pace you are and either cut back to your cream work of say £1000 a month to keep active (selling the rest of your round) or retire completely. By selling your gear completely I suppose you have an injection of 10K 'ish which is pretty much like continuing to work for a year part time. At 71 I wouldn't want to be doing much more if even that.

Not being a matchmaker but maybe someone reliable and fair like Vin at Perfect Windows might have a suggestion as to a good way forward. ;) ;D

Do you have hobbies and interests? I'm planning on helping out on a heritage railway if they'll have me!  Tickets please! ;D
great advice AR thanx

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2024, 11:02:02 am »
Sorry to learn this Jay.
79 is spot on over the grand a month work if you’re able to keep active and some income.
Also I don’t know Vin but he comes across as a decent bloke and may be able to help you out short term
Good luck Monday and moving forward
Tony
thanx Tony

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2024, 11:02:46 am »
Get well soon

I would speak to vin - you might get a complete sale it out any hassle

If I was in your position I’d take the hint and sell now

thanx Smudger

matty72

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2024, 11:33:53 am »
Hi Jay sorry to hear that mate, I'm not to far from you myself Titchfield common, would of offered to help you out the odd day but just had a triple hernia op myself, so not working myself for a few weeks, I'm taking 4 weeks out, I reckon most customers will be ok with that and sure yours will once they hear, good luck keep active.

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2024, 12:34:31 pm »
Hi Jay sorry to hear that mate, I'm not to far from you myself Titchfield common, would of offered to help you out the odd day but just had a triple hernia op myself, so not working myself for a few weeks, I'm taking 4 weeks out, I reckon most customers will be ok with that and sure yours will once they hear, good luck keep active.

Hi Matty thanx for that and I love Titchfield it's a lovely area

Scottish Cleaning Service

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2024, 12:35:24 pm »
Sounds like you had a narrow escape and great outcome. Problem with retiring is one can become bored unless you have hobbies. I see many retired guys who reach 67 and sell their business because they begin to get the state pension. Best of luck.

It would be better selling the lot, stock and barrel but there is a downside to this. It would mean that you couldn't go out and clean some windows (even your own) or go out and help anyone. In the public sector we now have phased retirement where one does 3 days a week and then 1 day a week so one slowly enters retirement. I myself retired when I was under 50 and I was bored and was asked to clean a few windows as our guy never came back.

Best thing I done and now I'm full time windy and oddjob man. Yesterday I was full day changing ball joints on my front suspension but it was the sense of achievement feeling that was even better. I would be lost without my van because I have all my tools in it so will always have a van no matter what.
You could buy a big van and convert it into a camper or something like that but you would need a project to keep yourself busy. 👍

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2024, 12:52:44 pm »
Sounds like you had a narrow escape and great outcome. Problem with retiring is one can become bored unless you have hobbies. I see many retired guys who reach 67 and sell their business because they begin to get the state pension. Best of luck.

It would be better selling the lot, stock and barrel but there is a downside to this. It would mean that you couldn't go out and clean some windows (even your own) or go out and help anyone. In the public sector we now have phased retirement where one does 3 days a week and then 1 day a week so one slowly enters retirement. I myself retired when I was under 50 and I was bored and was asked to clean a few windows as our guy never came back.

Best thing I done and now I'm full time windy and oddjob man. Yesterday I was full day changing ball joints on my front suspension but it was the sense of achievement feeling that was even better. I would be lost without my van because I have all my tools in it so will always have a van no matter what.
You could buy a big van and convert it into a camper or something like that but you would need a project to keep yourself busy. 👍

some sound advice there, thanx buddy

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2024, 02:21:30 pm »
I hope you make a speedy recovery mate.....

Only you know whether your fit enough to carry on...

If I was to sell I would break my round down into smaller rounds and sell them individually and also sell my van separately if I couldn't find a buyer who would buy the lot in one go...

Lots of established window cleaners just want to add on a bit more work to their existing rounds and also your less likely to get messed around if your dealing with smaller chunks of work/money IMO...
price higher/work harder!

johnny bravo

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2024, 02:57:31 pm »
must of been a shock for this to happen.  anyones nightmare.  id keep a  small round going .  use it also as a dose exercise . it will keep you active  and your mind stimulated.     easy cash income to enjoy yourselfs
Selling some work  will be easier doing it now  while your active.    no one knows what  life has in store for them
Good luck

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2024, 03:07:32 pm »
I hope you make a speedy recovery mate.....

Only you know whether your fit enough to carry on...

If I was to sell I would break my round down into smaller rounds and sell them individually and also sell my van separately if I couldn't find a buyer who would buy the lot in one go...

Lots of established window cleaners just want to add on a bit more work to their existing rounds and also your less likely to get messed around if your dealing with smaller chunks of work/money IMO...

once again good sound advice thanx Dazmond

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2024, 03:08:30 pm »
must of been a shock for this to happen.  anyones nightmare.  id keep a  small round going .  use it also as a dose exercise . it will keep you active  and your mind stimulated.     easy cash income to enjoy yourselfs
Selling some work  will be easier doing it now  while your active.    no one knows what  life has in store for them
Good luck

I agree Jonny I think that might be the way forward

DJW

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2024, 06:18:30 pm »
Pack it in and enjoy the rest of your days. Keep active. There’s a reason people retire.

Splash and dash

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2024, 07:16:03 pm »
Hope you make  a speedy recovery ,if you are getting the use of your limbs back that quickly it’s a very good sign many will return to normal life again with a quick recovery, sometimes a bit of work is good as it keeps you fit and active , but only you know how you feel give it a few weeks and make a decision then don’t rush into a you might later regret

Slacky

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2024, 08:27:59 pm »
Good luck Jay in your recovery.

Malc Gold basically said what I was thinking, see how Monday goes first of all.

windowswashed

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2024, 09:21:02 pm »
Not everyone in life gets a warning, your health is the most important thing to look after. Glad you pulled through, take heed of your warning and make some big changes now, it's a sign.

What's the most important thing in your life? Make the most of your time with your wife for none of us truly know how long we have got in this world,

Live within your means but live it with no regrets and live it to the full, time is precious the older we get so start living it, retire lock, stock and barrel.

NBwcs

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2024, 10:33:38 pm »
Wishing you a speedy recovery, but don't make any speedy decisions, see how you feel in 4 weeks.