This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jay moley

Alternatives to SLX
« on: September 06, 2024, 03:48:53 pm »
I use an SLX 27. No real problems so far but wondering whether I should consider something else?

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Perfect Windows

Re: Alternatives to SLX
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2024, 03:57:47 pm »
We've been trialling Phantom carbon poles. Very happy indeed, but there's a length where their weight goes far over Gardiners, so we still use SLX35. Can't recall if 27ft is above or below that point.

The clamps on Phantoms are superb. Really superb. Astoundingly good. Never spin and never seem to wear out the pole at the grip point the way SLXs do.  If they are in the same weight range at 27ft, I'd give them a try.

Vin

jay moley

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2024, 06:41:19 pm »
Anyone got an Ova8?

jay moley

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2024, 06:42:01 pm »
We've been trialling Phantom carbon poles. Very happy indeed, but there's a length where their weight goes far over Gardiners, so we still use SLX35. Can't recall if 27ft is above or below that point.

The clamps on Phantoms are superb. Really superb. Astoundingly good. Never spin and never seem to wear out the pole at the grip point the way SLXs do.  If they are in the same weight range at 27ft, I'd give them a try.

Vin

There 27 isn't that much heavier than Gardiner's.

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2024, 01:35:17 pm »
Ova8 beats the slx in every way - the shape is great clamps are better

Only downside is you can’t easily do tubeless univalve as section 1 is too small
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

jay moley

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2024, 01:56:34 pm »

Only downside is you can’t easily do tubeless univalve as section 1 is too small

You saying you can't fit the univalve yourself? Or go tubeless?

I noticed when you go to buy it they offer a univalve fitting but it's £449 instead of £332 without.

Splash and dash

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2024, 04:31:16 pm »

Don’t you find them heavy and unbalanced?

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2024, 09:11:17 pm »
No but I’m not a fairy 😂

Univalve fits great - tubeless is the issue
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

windowswashed

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2024, 11:40:32 pm »

Vin

I found the clamps, (the red inserts) to be the quickest wearing leading to clamps spinning the quickest, the worst of all poles apart from the original Tucker poles and that's saying something ..... terrible clamping system!!!
Ova 8 eliminates that problem with the pole design, clever engineering eliminating the spinning problem. 
Personally I can't fault Gardiner poles for the best automatic clamping system where a round pole is used.

Spruce

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2024, 11:57:03 pm »
I use an SLX 27. No real problems so far but wondering whether I should consider something else?

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Nothing is a perfect fit for everything and everybody. My opinion is that if something is working well for me, then why change?

My SLX22 lasted 9 years and is now a spare pole on the van.  The first section wore very thin, so has been replaced with a CLX22 first section. My SLX27 has given me no problems and is 5 years old, so I won't consider changing to another make if or when I need to replace this.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

jay moley

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2024, 08:44:22 am »

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Nothing is a perfect fit for everything and everybody. My opinion is that if something is working well for me, then why change?

My SLX22 lasted 9 years and is now a spare pole on the van.  The first section wore very thin, so has been replaced with a CLX22 first section. My SLX27 has given me no problems and is 5 years old, so I won't consider changing to another make if or when I need to replace this.

My biggest annoyance with Gardiner poles is the spinning sessions. Not sure how you've got away without that happening to you?

OVA8 is out of stock. There's only one distributor in England. Brushes look poor too. My mate reckoned you can use Gardiner brushes on them with some kind of add on to the gooseneck.

Scottish Cleaning Service

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2024, 09:41:39 am »
My biggest annoyance with Gardiner poles is the spinning sessions. Not sure how you've got away without that happening to you?

The only reason their poles spin is because the bolt loosens with constant work. All I do now is add a bit of thread lock to the thread and it stays in the same place. When I do need to tighten it then I heat it up with hairdryer and tighten it.

jay moley

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2024, 11:05:27 am »
Can anyone confirm you can use Gardiner brushes on an Ova8 pole?

Spruce

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2024, 12:36:03 pm »

Any recommendations?

Cheers

OVA8 is out of stock. There's only one distributor in England. Brushes look poor too. My mate reckoned you can use Gardiner brushes on them with some kind of add on to the gooseneck.

By adjusting the clamps correctly from day one.

My son can't be bothered to adjust his clamps, and I've already had to build up a worn 'ring' on one section with epoxy resin.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Splash and dash

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2024, 01:09:55 pm »

Any recommendations?

Cheers

We have around 28 Gardiner  poles in all sizes and models not one of them spins it’s down to lack of adjusting the clamps as required.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2024, 01:12:04 pm »
Another tip re loosening clamps:

You can also just replace the Nyloc nuts in the clamps if they keep coming loose.

When I haven't had any spare nuts I've just removed the loose nut and placed a thin strip of electrical tape, about 3mm wide, through the nut before reinserting the bolt. Usually works for me.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2024, 01:13:26 pm »
No but I’m not a fairy 😂

Univalve fits great - tubeless is the issue

Wait until the young(ish) and brave become the old and broken.  ;D

Invest in your future with high quality light weight equipment.
It's a game of three halves!

Stoots

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2024, 02:32:08 pm »
OV8s cant spin, but they are more expensive and heavier. Plus the clamps arent as nice imo

phantoms are similar to the slx in weight but more expensive and whilst the clamps are less prone to spinning they arent as nice to use as the gardiner imo

xline poles. similar, more expensive and clamps arent as good.

Its all opinion but gardiner still make the best value for money poles on the market and they have the best clamps. The spinning being the only negative but usually by the time the clamps start spinning the pole is ready to be replaced anyway

Smudger

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2024, 03:36:59 pm »
yes you can use Gardiner brushes - just fit a streamline socket on the back the hole spacing is
virtually identical

I even fitted Gardiner goose necks - but you do have to mod them to fit

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2024, 07:03:31 pm »
Regarding Gardiner smart clamps-  all you have to do is replace the spring in the clamp, and sometimes the shims too. A couple of quid to fully renew the 'smart' feature. Also, the spring housing tends to get dirty and thus the spring can't move freely, a drop of oil, teflon lube etc down the spring hole can sometimes get them working properly again. Serviced and properly adjusted  smart  clamps will never allow the pole to spin- regardless of pole wear!👍
Comfortably Numb!