This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Spotfree

+ £20 PH plus energy boost!
« on: September 04, 2024, 08:03:56 pm »
I know what some of you might be thinking and its not a white powdery substance missuse!

Ive been doing this window cleaning malarky for 14 years ish now and you can imagine things can go stale, the thought of another 6 hr shift on the pole ( not a silver one whilst wearing a thong and tassles ) can be dreary. Certain rounds can induce more dread than others, you know the one with Mrs Jones who tells you all about the doctors and the dog next door for 15 mins and no matter how many times you look at your watch and say "I realy must get some work done" she persists.

Lately I have been revisiting a game I used to play when I was building up the rounds and everything was fun and exciting, remember the days?

I set my stop watch for 1 hr and see how much I can earn in that hr, its amazing what you can get done when you inject some urgency. I have been consistenly upping my hourly rate by £20.00, I think that also shows how much I have been dragging my heels and being in-efficient.

Another big bonus is all the boredom has gone, that  2pm dip in energy that even the caffeine has ceased to work for has dissapeared. My energy levels and enthusiasm have re-appeared.

It's an effective phsycological "trick" as I have "re-framed" the way I'm looking at my work and I'm once again finding fun and a challenge in my days.

Might not work for everyone but has really helped me, I have also been able to see where my prices are not as good as the rest.

Put a timer on and put yourself to the test, the benefits have been great for me!

Bungle

Re: + £20 PH plus energy boost!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2024, 08:15:31 pm »
Yeah but you know you're against a clock.

I just want to get home as soon as I can.

Next day it all starts again.

It's all a load of bollix.

I just want to retire.

Can't see it happening any time soon though.
We look at them, they look through them.

Scottish Cleaning Service

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2024, 08:55:12 pm »
When I reach £200 on any day, my mind gives up. I can only keep going if I have an addon to do or something that has to be finished. My coffee machine (bean to cup) gave up the ghost today after my first cup. Realise I'm addicted to coffee now.

Slacky

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2024, 04:25:50 am »

I just want to retire.

Fall off a roof, does wonders for your work ethic  ;D

Spotfree

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2024, 06:47:09 am »

I just want to retire.

Feel the same way usualy, now its a challenge instead and the day doesnt drag so much. I think the only way out of cleaning windows for me is in a box so may aswell make the most of it

Spotfree

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2024, 06:48:30 am »

I just want to retire.

Fall off a roof, does wonders for your work ethic  ;D

So thats why you've been out mate? you didnt snap a pole did you?

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2024, 11:39:56 am »
I use this method for things like large schools and big factory cleans - I set a target area to finish within2 hours if I make then I have a coffee or fAg
Then ready to hit the next section
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Stoots

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2024, 01:19:39 pm »
If you time things and analyse your work as you go along you will find sticking points.

For example yesterday first couple of hours i was flying along doing my favourite small 3 bed semis, nice and compact, priced around £13 average. Probably averaging £80 per hour...

Then I hit a patch of 3 large detached in a row, all £18 each. Well they took me 55 mins total meaning around  £60 an hour or less. Still not horrific hourly rate but these 3 took my soul with them and my motivation.

I find the larger houses on my round are underpriced compared to the small ones but more importantly there's something draining about them when they take longer. Then ruin the flow and often it only takes one of these types to derail your day.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2024, 03:07:41 pm »
3 bed semis, nice and compact, priced around £13 average. Probably averaging £80 per hour...
6 3 bed semis in a hour? That's some splashing and dashing your doing  ;D

Spotfree

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2024, 05:03:30 pm »
If you time things and analyse your work as you go along you will find sticking points.

For example yesterday first couple of hours i was flying along doing my favourite small 3 bed semis, nice and compact, priced around £13 average. Probably averaging £80 per hour...

Then I hit a patch of 3 large detached in a row, all £18 each. Well they took me 55 mins total meaning around  £60 an hour or less. Still not horrific hourly rate but these 3 took my soul with them and my motivation.

I find the larger houses on my round are underpriced compared to the small ones but more importantly there's something draining about them when they take longer. Then ruin the flow and often it only takes one of these types to derail your day.

That's the beauty of it mate, now you know your work better and what good work is to you and you can use tgat knowledge to better your round.
I have to agree with you about the smaller jobs being more profitable, I found exactly the same thing.
It's so much easier to get £15 for what could be £10 Job, being 50% more than it is getting £60 for what might be a £40 job.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2024, 06:41:19 pm »
I'm already maxed out in working efficiently. I can't speed up without seriously cutting corners and risking losing work.

What I do though from time to time is get rid of some of my elderly customers who are starting with dementia and are basically on their last legs.they can be a serious drain on time and are often underpriced. As soon as I pick up a new job I do this.

I've recently got rid of 2 jobs because of this very reason. Unfortunately they are just not commercially viable anymore.

I'm currently on holiday in Lanzarote relaxing for 10 days so by the time I get back to work ill be fully refreshed.Im actually taking a full 2 weeks off....

I don't sit around the pool every day on holiday though.... I still keep up my gym sessions,swimming ,cycling and walk plenty while I'm here....

I love window cleaning 4 short days a week. It's the perfect work/life balance at this stage in my life(50s)...

It's easy!and before you know it your heading off home! Lots of people would love to be in our position in their working life!

Never take it for granted!😎👍
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2024, 06:44:42 pm »

Im the opposite....I prefer 5- 6 large houses per day because they are well priced and all within the same area compared to compact,smaller houses

Bungle

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2024, 07:29:57 pm »
I'm already maxed out in working efficiently. I can't speed up without seriously cutting corners and risking losing work.

What I do though from time to time is get rid of some of my elderly customers who are starting with dementia and are basically on their last legs.they can be a serious drain on time and are often underpriced. As soon as I pick up a new job I do this.

I've recently got rid of 2 jobs because of this very reason. Unfortunately they are just not commercially viable anymore.

I'm currently on holiday in Lanzarote relaxing for 10 days so by the time I get back to work ill be fully refreshed.Im actually taking a full 2 weeks off....

I don't sit around the pool every day on holiday though.... I still keep up my gym sessions,swimming ,cycling and walk plenty while I'm here....

I love window cleaning 4 short days a week. It's the perfect work/life balance at this stage in my life(50s)...

It's easy!and before you know it your heading off home! Lots of people would love to be in our position in their working life!

All heart you are aren't you  😂 in 20 years time some buck will be cleaning your windows and dump you cuz he thinks you've gone mad or about to snuff it 😂😂
We look at them, they look through them.

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2024, 10:57:42 pm »

All heart you are aren't you  😂 in 20 years time some buck will be cleaning your windows and dump you cuz he thinks you've gone mad or about to snuff it 😂😂

It's not personal mate. Sometimes you just gotta move on...when a £10 job takes you 30 mins due to talking,ages getting the money and forgetting they've not paid you then it's time to get rid even if you ve cleaned their windows for 30 years...

Spotfree

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2024, 06:16:53 am »
Especialy when they are trying to pay you 12p for a £12.00 job and cannot understand when you tell them its not enough.

It then starts to become unethical because it would be quite easy for them to feel ripped off when you have to ask for "more money".

People like that need constant supervision and I would only be comfortable dealing with a relative who sometimes just are not there.

zesty

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2024, 06:47:12 am »
I know what Adam means r.e bigger houses.

I’ve got quite a few big houses, get a bit bored when they take longer than 15 mins   ;D

For me, £20 - £25 houses are the sweet spot.  Usually they are quick to clean and the money adds up very quickly.

The advantage of the bigger houses is you get one bigger lump sum without moving the van, it’s just that it sometimes feels like your not getting anything done. It’s a weird psychological thing.

I get annoyed if I get a slow start in. I start at 7:30am, if I’ve not banged out several houses by 9am, I get tetchy. If one house has a loads of bird muck on it, or some other issue that slows me down first thing, I get annoyed!

Spotfree

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2024, 06:57:05 am »
I know what Adam means r.e bigger houses.

I’ve got quite a few big houses, get a bit bored when they take longer than 15 mins   ;D

For me, £20 - £25 houses are the sweet spot.  Usually they are quick to clean and the money adds up very quickly.

The advantage of the bigger houses is you get one bigger lump sum without moving the van, it’s just that it sometimes feels like your not getting anything done. It’s a weird psychological thing.

I get annoyed if I get a slow start in. I start at 7:30am, if I’ve not banged out several houses by 9am, I get tetchy. If one house has a loads of bird muck on it, or some other issue that slows me down first thing, I get annoyed!

Yep, bigger houses are non stop cleaning marathons, if you have a 1hr job thats usualy 30m of non stop upstairs window cleaning. Can wear you out pretty quickly.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2024, 07:42:21 am »
Especialy when they are trying to pay you 12p for a £12.00 job and cannot understand when you tell them its not enough.

It then starts to become unethical because it would be quite easy for them to feel ripped off when you have to ask for "more money".

People like that need constant supervision and I would only be comfortable dealing with a relative who sometimes just are not there.

I've got one like this. Got all her marbles but painfully dithery and slow, didn't look for chequebook (remember them?) until I'd finished, took ages to write it and yakkity yak. Job takes 20 minutes, getting paid takes 15!

I have her daughter's number now. I just turn up, tap the door, wave through the window and clean and text her daughter.

£28.00 in the account within 24 hours every time.
It's a game of three halves!

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2024, 08:57:38 am »
I have quite a few days of just cleaning a few larger houses dotted about over a 3 mile area and they are some of my best earning days...but these are all  £40-£50 jobs,some are £90 all 8 weekly...

I actually prefer them over my cheaper estate work where I'm cleaning upwards of 20 houses a day...

NBwcs

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2024, 11:27:21 am »

I've got one like this. Got all her marbles but painfully dithery and slow, didn't look for chequebook (remember them?) until I'd finished, took ages to write it and yakkity yak. Job takes 20 minutes, getting paid takes 15!

I have her daughter's number now. I just turn up, tap the door, wave through the window and clean and text her daughter.

£28.00 in the account within 24 hours every time.

Dementia is an awkward one, I don't feel comfortable doing them unless I can take the payment side of it away from them and get the family to pay.  When I started up, I cleaned for a lady who was affectionately know to all as "Mad Mary"  (she probably wasn't aware of this). I took a lot of her behaviour down to character,(and she was a real character, told it like it was) I turned up once a month, got paid and everything seemed OK. She ended up going into care, after which I found out she had at least 3 window cleaners on  the go, it wasn't anything I should feel guilt about, I didn't know yet it made me feel poope about it at the time.