This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Stoots

The tapering work week
« on: September 03, 2024, 07:29:39 am »
I've recently been using a new working pattern that I call "the taper".

Like most sole operators I have tried to find a work life balance that allows you to work enough hours to earn money but not so much that you want to top yourself.

Obviously window cleaning is window cleaning it will always be mundane and all we can really do it tweak things to make it a tad easier such as light poles, podcastsand getting rid of pita jobs etc.

One thing I have experimented with a lot is working patterns.

There's 3 main ones available to the window cleaner.

3x8 - working 3 days for 8 hours, cramming as much work as possible in. Gets it over and done with allowing 4 days off. The downside is 8 hour days are horrific and the many times I've tried this I dont think ive ever managed 1 week. Usually do a day then think sod that.

4x6 - this is probably the one I've used most, 4 days at 6 hours. 6 hours is about the limit of sanity, as is 4 days. Its a decent balance but its more of a slog week as each day you are pushing up towards the 'redline" of hours which means each day becomes a chore, low on energy and by the time it gets to Thurs I've well and truly had enough it's hard to get them last reps out and finish the Thursday with energy.

5x4 - 5 days at 4 hours, this is great from a short day perspective but it's drags out too long, I've found by the time I get to Thurs I've had enough and wish I didn't have to work the Friday. Which I usually just skip the Friday and ruin the system

Which leads me onto my new revelation.

The taper

It works on the premise that the first day of the week I have the most energy. I can usually start the week with gusto  smashing work off, so Monday I can usually get loads done. Then I've noticed as the week goes on my energy and enthusiasm drains. Tuesday don't do quite as much but still OK. By weds I've starting to think ok that's enough for one week I'm getting bored now and by Thursday I really can't be arsed.

So the taper  ;D

Monday - overbook the day, smash off as much as you can, it will start to bite around 2pm but hold on for this day it will be worth it. Full gas I would say 7 hours is what you should aim for.

Tuesday - 6 hours a good solid days work.

Weds- book a bit less in 1pm finish

Thurs - half day, steady away finish 12pm.

Just try it, it's a great feeling having something "in the bank" as it were on a Monday. If you are 100 quid ahead that 100 quid you can drop off the end of the week when you really need it.

Hope you enjoyed this waffle I was up early today.

markymark

Re: The tapering work week
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2024, 08:21:57 am »
It makes sense to me - get as much work done and out of the way as early as possible then glide through the rest of the week.
That means with the current weather patterns meaning more unpredictable weather in this damp, grey corner of the country I've got to drum it in to customers that I'll be working in rain. Any resistance to this is fine by me - they just get dropped at the outset. I hope to live as long and as healthily as possible so running myself in to the ground at 51 to clean a few windows isn't in the grand plan.
The good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not.

Scottish Cleaning Service

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2024, 08:37:43 am »
I like doing a half day each day and maybe a gutter clear fitted in later on in the day. First of the month I have a great day. Clean two care homes and 7 houses and get paid a days work for 3hrs now I realise why folk like cleaning care homes.

zesty

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2024, 09:13:36 am »
7:30am till midday 5 days a week with the option of one day off suits me perfectly.

I am getting to the stage where I’m thinking of getting a lad out there doing all the windows whilst I do the extra jobs, but fully admit I haven’t been brave enough to take the plunge yet.

Means taking a pay cut and paying someone 25k a year.

I’m always impressed by those that employ, I just don’t know how you make that leap.

Stoots

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2024, 10:41:23 am »
7:30am till midday 5 days a week with the option of one day off suits me perfectly.

I am getting to the stage where I’m thinking of getting a lad out there doing all the windows whilst I do the extra jobs, but fully admit I haven’t been brave enough to take the plunge yet.

I’m always impressed by those that employ, I just know how you make that leap.

Yeh I've been thinking about it for ages but it's scary and also can be a burden the responsibility. Having been down that road before I also know what a pita in can be.

zesty

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2024, 12:28:06 pm »

I’m always impressed by those that employ, I just know how you make that leap.

Yeh I've been thinking about it for ages but it's scary and also can be a burden the responsibility. Having been down that road before I also know what a pita in can be.

It’s gotta be done eventually though, I need courage to take the leap.

jay moley

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2024, 12:29:48 pm »
I'm doing 4 days of 6 to 6.5 hours.

matty72

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2024, 12:49:58 pm »
I have done and try all these different methods constantly, the thing that really changes it is how much I need to earn, some of my work isn't priced well so need to work harder on these weeks to earn what i need for the day, it;s all about the dosh, if i could go back 10 to 15 years  I would dump all rubbish custys and concentrate on good paying ones, difficult to do now, I think anyone whos paid off their mortgage window cleaning is a good choice.

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2024, 03:31:43 pm »

I’m always impressed by those that employ, I just don’t know how you make that leap.

While it is a big leap to employ you need to have the right mindset  ie… it’s not really a pay cut - you are giving a bod all the donkey work while you take the cream work. Ideally for there 25k they turnover 65 to 70k of windows leaving you to earn a cushy 50k doing p/wand other stuff
As an active self employed it works well
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

zesty

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2024, 04:02:12 pm »

While it is a big leap to employ you need to have the right mindset  ie… it’s not really a pay cut - you are giving a bod all the donkey work while you take the cream work. Ideally for there 25k they turnover 65 to 70k of windows leaving you to earn a cushy 50k doing p/wand other stuff
As an active self employed it works well

It’s finding that extra work that’s the only problem, in recent years my enquiry’s have slowed as huge amounts of competition has entered the area.

I’d want another 15k of regular window cleaning a year to employ really…

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2024, 05:00:27 pm »
Apart from the odd superhuman most of us ‘settle’ whether that be customers or prices - if your out there banging your drum youl will get work
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

zesty

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2024, 05:35:45 pm »
Apart from the odd superhuman most of us ‘settle’ whether that be customers or prices - if your out there banging your drum youl will get work

What drum you got?  ;D

Slacky

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2024, 05:59:43 pm »
I haven’t been able to work for over three months. Be grateful for what you’ve got.

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2024, 06:39:10 pm »
I haven’t been able to work for over three months. Be grateful for what you’ve got.

Thats the problem we all have with life, we always want more and better until the worst happens then all of a sudden we want to appreciate what we have  ::)roll

Splash and dash

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2024, 09:07:30 pm »

Like most sole operators I have tried to find a work life balance that allows you to work enough hours to earn money but not so much that you want to top yourself.

Obviously window cleaning is window cleaning it will always be mundane and all we can really do it tweak things to make it a tad easier such as light poles, podcastsand getting rid of pita jobs etc.

3x8 - working 3 days for 8 hours, cramming as much work as possible in. Gets it over and done with allowing 4 days off. The downside is 8 hour days are horrific and the many times I've tried this I dont think ive ever managed 1 week. Usually do a day then think sod that.

4x6 - this is probably the one I've used most, 4 days at 6 hours. 6 hours is about the limit of sanity, as is 4 days. Its a decent balance but its more of a slog week as each day you are pushing up towards the 'redline" of hours which means each day becomes a chore, low on energy and by the time it gets to Thurs I've well and truly had enough it's hard to get them last reps out and finish the Thursday with energy.

5x4 - 5 days at 4 hours, this is great from a short day perspective but it's drags out too long, I've found by the time I get to Thurs I've had enough and wish I didn't have to work the Friday. Which I usually just skip the Friday and ruin the system

The taper

It works on the premise that the first day of the week I have the most energy. I can usually start the week with gusto  smashing work off, so Monday I can usually get loads done. Then I've noticed as the week goes on my energy and enthusiasm drains. Tuesday don't do quite as much but still OK. By weds I've starting to think ok that's enough for one week I'm getting bored now and by Thursday I really can't be arsed.

So the taper  ;D

Monday - overbook the day, smash off as much as you can, it will start to bite around 2pm but hold on for this day it will be worth it. Full gas I would say 7 hours is what you should aim for.

Just try it, it's a great feeling having something "in the bank" as it were on a Monday. If you are 100 quid ahead that 100 quid you can drop off the end of the week when you really need it.

You make it sound like some major issue organising and cleaning a few windows on your own it’s hardly rocket science , if you want to work 8 hours do so if you want to work 2 hours do that , it’s your choice but don’t make it out to be such a dramatic drama  😂

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2024, 09:48:52 pm »

The taper

So the taper  ;D

You make it sound like some major issue organising and cleaning a few windows on your own it’s hardly rocket science , if you want to work 8 hours do so if you want to work 2 hours do that , it’s your choice but don’t make it out to be such a dramatic drama  😂

Mr. Grumpy. Did you get out the wrong side of the bed today?
It's a game of three halves!

windowswashed

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2024, 09:58:10 pm »
There is another alternative .... work hard each and every day and when you fancy a day or a week off to do something else then do it!
 Why make life complicated over analysing everything.

Splash and dash

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2024, 10:08:19 pm »

The taper

So the taper  ;D

Mr. Grumpy. Did you get out the wrong side of the bed today?

Not  at all but every post he puts up is some major drama it’s only organising cleaning a few windows not difficult is it

Stoots

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2024, 10:57:21 pm »
Window cleaning can be dramatic, I do overthink a lot. In fact maybe one day when I'm feeling really low I might post a picture a  customers car and claim its mine for an ego boost.

Splash and dash

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2024, 11:13:05 pm »
Window cleaning can be dramatic, I do overthink a lot. In fact maybe one day when I'm feeling really low I might post a picture a  customers car and claim its mine for an ego boost.

lol you haven’t got a clue mate 😂😂