This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

colin bird

resin help/advice please
« on: August 23, 2024, 02:49:26 pm »
hi i have a van mounted ro system,so i dont get through a lots of resin,i went to change my resin today which is stored in a cupboard,but i found that it has dried out do to the air getting to it,will this effect the life span of the resin ?

Smudger

Re: resin help/advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2024, 03:26:34 pm »
I think so - I believe the moisture will have spent its cleaning power - why not give it a try - nothing to lose
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2024, 03:47:55 pm »
I would say it would weaken the resin slightly but not a lot.  Any use out it is better than nothing I guess.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

michael mckeary

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2024, 04:03:57 pm »
Got to store it in an air sealed bag or even better two sealed bags.

colin bird

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2024, 04:26:01 pm »
Thanks gent for your replies will give it a go and see what happens

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2024, 06:10:11 pm »
I've never had a problem with resin being open for up to 5 months.sometimes it's been damp too but it's never effected the lifespan....

I think it's a myth....just like waterproofing your van floor(no need at all even if you flood your van on a regular basis)
price higher/work harder!

colin bird

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2024, 06:22:10 pm »
I've never had a problem with resin being open for up to 5 months.sometimes it's been damp too but it's never effected the lifespan....

I think it's a myth....just like waterproofing your van floor(no need at all even if you flood your van on a regular basis)
Thanks daz you’ve given me a bit of confidence,I’m a bit gutted as it’s 25l bag and I’ve only filled the 9l bottle once so fingers crossed

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2024, 08:47:46 pm »

No so I’m afraid - I know from experience a non waterproofed floor will rot - takes about 4 years
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Splash and dash

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2024, 09:33:27 pm »

Depends on the vehicle brand some are galvanised some are phosphate coated so won’t rust but some are just painted steel this will rust  especially in the seams or ware the paint is scratched

michael mckeary

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2024, 08:31:27 am »
I used to dry my brush by sliding along edge of back door. I then began to notice how quickly it began to rust. Pure must quicken the process.

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2024, 08:50:10 am »
I've seen some fairly new Sprinter and VW vans with rust up this part of the world. As the new MAN vans are VW crafter based bodies, I would suspect that they will start to show signs of premature rust as well.

The worst is those Chinese built LDV vans. I've seen some just a couple of years old with rust.

It must be worse in Scotland than the North East.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2024, 09:32:09 am »

No so I’m afraid - I know from experience a non waterproofed floor will rot - takes about 4 years

Mines 7 years old and no rot at all...

My 14 year old kangoo was flooded at least once a month...guess what?no rot too!😀👍
price higher/work harder!

Splash and dash

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2024, 02:30:38 pm »
I've seen some fairly new Sprinter and VW vans with rust up this part of the world. As the new MAN vans are VW crafter based bodies, I would suspect that they will start to show signs of premature rust as well.

The worst is those Chinese built LDV vans. I've seen some just a couple of years old with rust.

The MAN vans are not in any  form related to the  sprinter you are thinking of the old model Vw crafter that and the sprinter used to be made in the same factory this stoped when the new shaped crafters MAN vans came out  years ago

Splash and dash

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2024, 02:32:16 pm »

Mines 7 years old and no rot at all...

My 14 year old kangoo was flooded at least once a month...guess what?no rot too!😀👍

The  ford  van is phosphate coated and the Renault galvanised so they won’t rust , other brands will

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2024, 06:32:47 pm »
Sometimes the roof is wetter than the floor too with all the condensation we get in the colder months. 🤣
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2024, 09:34:31 am »
As we've moved on to van floors let me tell you of my experience. Must you? (Sigh) Yes.  ;D

I have had two vans, both from new.

1. 2006/56 1.3 Doblo with a 400 tank which I occasionally overfilled and flooded which due to being on a sloping drive filled the footwells with water!

The only protection was rubber matting laid on top of the floor.

Sold in 2014 to Dan the Man who in turn sold it on this forum in about 2018. Last I heard it was being used as a 'pool' van around 2021.

2. 2012/12 Hyundai iload.

As you may know I had a prang in July 2023, bought the salvage and put it back on the road.

Originally it had ply and wisely or unwisely Dan the Man did as I asked, painted the ply floor with marine varnish and covered it in rubber flooring.

After about 5 years the ply started to break up under the floor but being me I just ignored it as the rubber was intact.

At the time of the crash I thought as it was sat in my drive for a couple of weeks as DtM got the bits to repair it I might as well re-do the back.

Upon stripping the tank, frame and rubber flooring the remains of the ply were lifted which entailed a dustpan and brush and vacuum cleaner!

The original painted surface had a few lines of surface rust where the floor was raised, a little bit of surface rust around two of the frame bolt holes through the floor and a bit at the very back where it got scuffed.

I sanded it, put on a primer and protectakoted it by hand brush giving two coats. Then I bought two cheap rubber oil trays with 25mm raised lips which almost perfectly fit between the wheel arches.

All is good and my van is now in its 13th year.

It's a game of three halves!

michael mckeary

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2024, 10:37:19 am »
Vans will last about 15 years so you need to ask yourself how long will it take for rust to rot the floor? I think its just common sense if one buys a new or nearly new van. Its easy to paint the floor when nothing in it and you could leave the doors open during the day. Better to do it in the summer when it will dry in no time. Every few years I paint my van's roof with white Hammerite because I have 3 roof bars and sometimes walking on it. As they say prevention better than cure not worth being penny wise pound foolish in this game.

Spruce

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2024, 10:59:15 am »

The MAN vans are not in any  form related to the  sprinter you are thinking of the old model Vw crafter that and the sprinter used to be made in the same factory this stoped when the new shaped crafters MAN vans came out  years ago

I said; "As the new MAN vans are VW crafter based bodies, I would suspect that they will start to show signs of premature rust as well." Suspect means I haven't seen any with rust; I'm just going with what I've seen on VW Crafter vans and making an assumption as they are made in the same Polish factory. I have no idea what the mileages are of the vans I've seen are either. This will have a bearing on body condition. Sorry.

Article dated 2022.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/man/tge

There’s plenty of choice on the market for the large panel van buyer, but one model you may have missed is the MAN TGE. The TGE is the first light commercial vehicle to come from MAN Truck & Bus – which is part of the Volkswagen Group.

The TGE may seem familiar as it is essentially a rebadged Volkswagen Crafter. The two vans are built in the same factory in Poland, and the differences between the two largely centre around the front end and the badging.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

michael mckeary

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2024, 04:14:26 pm »
My mate was saying the VW transporter is the same as the Ford Transit now. I think they will eventually use the same floor plan because of the money it will save or they are all using AI to design the vans.

Splash and dash

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2024, 11:42:00 pm »

I said; "As the new MAN vans are VW crafter based bodies, I would suspect that they will start to show signs of premature rust as well." Suspect means I haven't seen any with rust; I'm just going with what I've seen on VW Crafter vans and making an assumption as they are made in the same Polish factory. I have no idea what the mileages are of the vans I've seen are either. This will have a bearing on body condition. Sorry.

Article dated 2022.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/man/tge

There’s plenty of choice on the market for the large panel van buyer, but one model you may have missed is the MAN TGE. The TGE is the first light commercial vehicle to come from MAN Truck & Bus – which is part of the Volkswagen Group.

The TGE may seem familiar as it is essentially a rebadged Volkswagen Crafter. The two vans are built in the same factory in Poland, and the differences between the two largely centre around the front end and the badging.

Sorry Bruce thought you were inferring that the MAN was the same as the older Vw  crafter which was the  same as the sprinter up to 2017 , from 2017 Vw cut there ties with Mercedes  and yes the  vw crafter is the same van as the MAN (tge)  with Vw part numbers on it but Vw will not sell you any parts as they say it’s a different van for service items like brakes , and filters which it untrue they are identical . We have two of them oldest one is 2020 been 100% reliable and no signs of any rust or mechanical issues so far .