This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jonboywalton75

Transit connect, somethings popped 😱
« on: August 11, 2024, 01:53:58 pm »
Driving yesterday and heard a popping sound, engine management light came straight on, called the aa, camshaft position error came up.
Aa man reckons my belt/chain hasn't snapped but cogs seem to still be turning, something relatively serious has happened I'm thinking.
Anyone had camshaft issues with Connect?
Looks like a rebuild I'm thinking!!!
100, 000 miles on the clock, regularly serviced.

dd

Re: Transit connect, somethings popped 😱
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2024, 02:11:40 pm »
When is the belt due to be changed?
On my old dispatch it is every 100k or 10 years, I have it done a year early so it has been changed twice now.

simon w

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2024, 02:16:11 pm »
How many vans do you run? if only the one, then loss of earnings is your biggest first hurdle, sort yourself out with a replacement vehicle so you can get back to work immediately, then just let a garage do what they are being paid for and get your van back on the road asap. Are you with Alexander Swan? if so some of their policies have a replacement truckmount, I took them up on this some years back when a delivery driver scratched my van, replacement was delivered on a Sunday, I didn't even lose one days work.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2024, 02:32:24 pm »
When is the belt due to be changed?
On my old dispatch it is every 100k or 10 years, I have it done a year early so it has been changed twice now.

It's never been changed, I was informed at about 85,000 miles That mine didn't need changing when I had it serviced as it was a chain not a belt
Sounds like I was misinformed eh!!!

jonboywalton75

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2024, 02:34:54 pm »
How many vans do you run? if only the one, then loss of earnings is your biggest first hurdle, sort yourself out with a replacement vehicle so you can get back to work immediately, then just let a garage do what they are being paid for and get your van back on the road asap. Are you with Alexander Swan? if so some of their policies have a replacement truckmount, I took them up on this some years back when a delivery driver scratched my van, replacement was delivered on a Sunday, I didn't even lose one days work.
1 van
I'm with autonet, not sure what cover is available with them, I'll check tommorow
I'm semi retired and my son has a 2 man van system so I'm not desperate to work loads, so I'll be fine in that sense

Scottish Cleaning Service

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2024, 02:41:43 pm »
I get my timing belt, accessories and water pump done every 40k or 6 years. I'm on my third one now but my mate is a mechanic. Van has just done 100k and it has new battery, power steering pump and alternator. The moment you get a van you need to read the manual to know what their recommendations are. Sounds like you might be better with a new van because the cost could be frightening. Keep us up to date on how you are getting on with it.
The belt doesn't usually snap because the pulleys usually malfunction first. So never just change the belt, do the whole thing.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2024, 03:10:24 pm »
Hope it's not scrap, I paid £10.000 for it 3 years ago 😱

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2024, 05:54:51 pm »
Other than brand new - I always get the cam belt changed straight after purchase not worth the risk
Hopefully as a chain it’s only slipped one cog  and not done the valves or cam
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

jonboywalton75

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2024, 07:48:52 pm »
Other than brand new - I always get the cam belt changed straight after purchase not worth the risk
Hopefully as a chain it’s only slipped one cog  and not done the valves or cam

I can only hope eh!!! 🙄

Splash and dash

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2024, 07:49:28 pm »

There policy is for non fault accident damage not mechanical breakdowns , but if they have a spare van they will hire it to you but you would have to pay for it .

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2024, 09:56:58 am »
Some folk are saying they can have a wet belt on earlier ones. Those wet belt engines have a big problem on the belt rubber. Ford have admitted it but don't want to do a recall in Uk. Put your reg in Euro parts website and they should tell you if its a belt or chain. 😉

jonboywalton75

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2024, 11:38:05 am »
Some folk are saying they can have a wet belt on earlier ones. Those wet belt engines have a big problem on the belt rubber. Ford have admitted it but don't want to do a recall in Uk. Put your reg in Euro parts website and they should tell you if its a belt or chain. 😉

Cheers Michael

Don Kee

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2024, 12:21:17 pm »

Wet belts are on the Ford eco-tec engines (petrol).
Why don't you have a quick google before making stupid comments?

Ggh

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2024, 09:08:46 pm »
On the 2.0l diesels too innit?
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

Always shining

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2024, 08:20:05 am »
Yes thats right re the 2.0l diesels. There is a recall but they are not shouting about it. Surprise surprise.
It was only when my garage contacted Ford , after my wet belt issue, that they instigated a recall on it.!

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2024, 08:43:54 am »
I think it's only the adblue diesels..

No wet belt on my 1.5 euro 6(120hp).no adblue either....
price higher/work harder!

Tam1872

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2024, 08:50:59 am »
The life span of the cam belt drops quite a bit if it's only doing short journeys.

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2024, 02:40:48 pm »
The life span of the cam belt drops quite a bit if it's only doing short journeys.

That's the reason I don't understand stop and start technology. Takes a lot of power to get the engine started in the first place so we will see, starter motors, batteries, and all the rest breaking prematurely but its all good for the parts department.

Spruce

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2024, 10:51:25 am »

That's the reason I don't understand stop and start technology. Takes a lot of power to get the engine started in the first place so we will see, starter motors, batteries, and all the rest breaking prematurely but its all good for the parts department.

That's of little concern to the manufacturers. Their hands are tied trying to find ways to meet emission standards.
Personally, I agree with you regarding stop start technology.

On some vehicles you have to switch it off every time you start the vehicle. I'm sure there will be some clever electronic's engineer who will devise an auto switch off device, but it would be illegal to sell it and use it as it would be seen as cheating the emission standards.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

jonboywalton75

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2024, 04:31:37 am »
Update

Garage has started examining the engine.
Report last night from them Said that it's a timing issue that is causing compression problems
With my limited mechanical knowledge I don't know whether that's a positive prognosis so far or not 🤔