This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

windowswashed

Re: This is the best cancellation ever!
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2024, 07:04:26 pm »
Be cautious doing odd jobs indoors for customers, all it takes is one customer to report you to the police accusing you of some money, jewelry or whatever missing  and police turning up on your doorstep, not worth it. Only takes one idiot trying to falsely claim off their insurance when money is tight. I avoid indoor jobs completely.

Bungle

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2024, 07:13:27 pm »
Be cautious doing odd jobs indoors for customers, all it takes is one customer to report you to the police accusing you of some money, jewelry or whatever missing  and police turning up on your doorstep, not worth it. Only takes one idiot trying to falsely claim off their insurance when money is tight. I avoid indoor jobs completely.

I cleaned the insides of a house many years ago and I knocked a big feck off house plant over. Dirt all over the carpet. I said oh dear.
We look at them, they look through them.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2024, 07:50:49 am »

MODDED

Another one like that puts you on the naughty step for a month.
It's a game of three halves!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2024, 07:53:52 am »
I warned earlier in the thread about a pile-on.

No more warnings for anyone.

If you want to explain the reasons you do/don't think that non cleaning add-ons are a good idea that's fine. But do it civilly.

Smudger

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2024, 10:29:15 am »
Me?

what have I done ....   ???
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Soupy

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2024, 12:07:57 pm »
Me?

Tsk tsk.
A fully paid up  memeber of the blue pill community

Always shining

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2024, 01:15:30 pm »
Did you warn? Oooo the power!
What happened to freedom of speech!
The guy talks complete and utter drivel. We both know that!

michael mckeary

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2024, 04:13:23 pm »
I always upset some folk because they can't see what I'm meaning. If my company wasn't doing well then I wouldn't be posting stuff. Only trying to help folk turn a coin with adding some services to their window cleaning service. The thing is, if not for you then just ignore it and move on.

Bungle

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2024, 05:21:44 pm »

Me?

Turn around and face the wall  ;D
We look at them, they look through them.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2024, 06:32:40 pm »
Did you warn? Oooo the power!
What happened to freedom of speech!
The guy talks complete and utter drivel. We both know that!

That's why he's allowed to post.  ;D

Smudger

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2024, 11:19:09 pm »
I always upset some folk because they can't see what I'm meaning. If my company wasn't doing well then I wouldn't be posting stuff. Only trying to help folk turn a coin with adding some services to their window cleaning service. The thing is, if not for you then just ignore it and move on.

not upset MM - in fact quite the opposite - I struggle to take you seriously (sorry thats the way I see it)
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Always shining

« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2024, 06:28:35 am »
That’s a fair comment! Apologies!
He just winds me up as he’s telling people (window cleaners) to add odds and sods to their repertoire and it will bring them riches. It’s just not true. I’ve been there and done that. What he doesn’t tell you is the amount of time he spends picking up a tin of paint here, a gutter bracket there, chatting to the old dear whilst he’s fitting the washing machine etc etc Is that all costed in to the hourly rate? I think not! Add ons can be lucrative such as the usual gutters and conny roofs etc but certainly not the bits and bobs. I think he once said he cleaned some bins out for £3 a pop ffs!
To be fair he is building up a good personal relationship with his group of customers and he will always have work that way.
But working that way will not beat having a solid window cleaning round that has been refined over the years. The repeat work is always there year after year. No picking up materials, no getting rid of rubbish. No quoting time for all these extra jobs. Very rarely hampered by bad weather etc etc
All IMO of course

dazmond

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2024, 09:09:40 am »
That’s a fair comment! Apologies!
He just winds me up as he’s telling people (window cleaners) to add odds and sods to their repertoire and it will bring them riches. It’s just not true. I’ve been there and done that. What he doesn’t tell you is the amount of time he spends picking up a tin of paint here, a gutter bracket there, chatting to the old dear whilst he’s fitting the washing machine etc etc Is that all costed in to the hourly rate? I think not! Add ons can be lucrative such as the usual gutters and conny roofs etc but certainly not the bits and bobs. I think he once said he cleaned some bins out for £3 a pop ffs!
To be fair he is building up a good personal relationship with his group of customers and he will always have work that way.
But working that way will not beat having a solid window cleaning round that has been refined over the years. The repeat work is always there year after year. No picking up materials, no getting rid of rubbish. No quoting time for all these extra jobs. Very rarely hampered by bad weather etc etc
All IMO of course

Some people like to feel useful all of the time and enjoy fixing things constantly for people which is great.

Most established window cleaners just want to get their work cleaned and get back home to their families and hobbies.

I bumped into a painter and decorator yesterday and he's the same age as me(early 50s)and he said he works a lot because 'he's not one for sunbathing'as if that's the only thing to do when not working!🙄😂

Nowt as strange as folk!👍😂
price higher/work harder!

michael mckeary

« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2024, 01:06:47 pm »
Whatever you give out then it must come back to you. I got a call yesterday from the local church to take a look at a drain. Went by at 10.30am and met folk coming out of morning mass. Someone asked me to clean their windows so I went down and cleaned them and ended up cleaning another 3 homes. Their windy has gave up so that's the reason I picked them up. I clean the church windows for free and pick up customers because my van is their every week. Someone told me its called networking, I call it being Courtesy to any person I meet. It works for me.

tlwcs

« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2024, 02:31:10 pm »
What happened to the work you had scheduled yesterday to let you have time to do all that?

KS Cleaning

« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2024, 02:55:02 pm »
Whatever you give out then it must come back to you. I got a call yesterday from the local church to take a look at a drain. Went by at 10.30am and met folk coming out of morning mass. Someone asked me to clean their windows so I went down and cleaned them and ended up cleaning another 3 homes. Their windy has gave up so that's the reason I picked them up. I clean the church windows for free and pick up customers because my van is their every week. Someone told me its called networking, I call it being Courtesy to any person I meet. It works for me.
Do you clean the church windows for free every week? On a Sunday?

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2024, 03:18:49 pm »

It sounds to me that you are more of a handyman rather than a window cleaner perhaps you should get  sign written on your van saying

"MM Handyman no job to big or small"

AuRavelling79

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2024, 03:57:12 pm »
My uncle retired at 65 with a state and small works pension. But he wanted to visit his son - my cousin - in Australia every other year so he did handyman stuff until his early 80's.

My Grandad was a copper. Got his pension at 50 and cleaned windows part time for 20 years.

Each to their own.

michael mckeary

« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2024, 04:19:30 pm »
Do you clean the church windows for free every week? On a Sunday?

Clean them every 3 months and the church house when I can be bothered. Oddjob Mick I think they call me.
It saves the church a ton of money if I can fix it and I pick up the odd window cleaning customer because my van goes everywhere I go.
Clean the concierge office windows for free in the sheltered housing complex and she gets me new customers when they move in.
We owned a hotel and began to notice how my mother ran it. Give out free lunch or dinner to the funeral director and the next thing I noticed he was passing on our details for the purvey.
In the end its all to do with human behaviour, its hard to dislike someone when they give you something for free.
That's why I always have my customers front door spotless because its the first thing they notice. Trad guys don't do doors, well up here they don't.

Smudger

« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2024, 04:54:17 pm »
My uncle retired at 65 with a state and small works pension. But he wanted to visit his son - my cousin - in Australia every other year so he did handyman stuff until his early 80's.

My Grandad was a copper. Got his pension at 50 and cleaned windows part time for 20 years.

Each to their own.

Nothing wrong with that - Mick appears to be the same - I just need the condescending attitude that he knows best all the time
- he also sounds like a god bother as well