This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Soupy

Re: Crash tested
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2024, 01:55:50 pm »
I’ve had 2 claims with Alexander Swan Soupy. One was not my fault, the other was my employee’s fault. No problem either time.

I agree  totally with your argument Soupy.  I’ve said that before on this forum. But they make the rules, rightly or wrongly & I don’t want them not paying out & all the grief that goes with it. That’s why I play it safe & tell them everything.

Glad to hear that.

I'm not for lying to insurance companies. Like I said my broker has seen what we do even from the landy days. Face to face is the way to do it IMO. Call centres are not there to help you, they are there to get as much money from you as possible and to avoid paying out where they can.

A van is built to carry stuff, that's all we're doing. The way insurance is set up nowadays is a scam, specifically designed to catch you out and over charge you.
A fully paid up  memeber of the blue pill community

Simon Trapani

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2024, 02:32:59 pm »
Alexander Swan is a relatively small company with a handful of staff i think. They are brokers & I have often spoken to the same people in the office. Never had a problem.

There’s just very little choice for us window cleaners still because insurance companies do class it as a modification unfortunately & we end up getting stung. It’s wrong I agree, but it’s the way it is. Hopefully it will change in the future but I won’t hold my breath.

Soupy

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2024, 02:45:06 pm »
Alexander Swan is a relatively small company with a handful  of staff i think. They are brokers & I have often spoken to the same people in the office. Never had a problem.

There’s just very little choice for us window cleaners still because insurance companies do class it as a modification unfortunately & we end up getting stung. It’s wrong I agree, but it’s the way it is. Hopefully it will change in the future but I won’t hold my breath.

To be honest the additional cost for declaring a modification is usually minimal so the point is moot. The insurance company paid 95% of the claim, less the excess. The offer was less than the van was worth, even at 100%

I wouldn't have accepted the offer nor the 5% deficit. I wasn't in a position to argue though.

Unfortunately Alexander swan looks to be located in Swindon. Too far away for me.

I like to be looked in the eye while I'm being shafted.

Stoots

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2024, 04:07:56 pm »
Employees love to drop you in it.

I was driving a modified vehicle  ::)roll

cheers mate  ;D

Soupy

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2024, 04:12:16 pm »
Employees love to drop you in it.

I was driving a modified vehicle  ::)roll

cheers mate  ;D

Not exactly what happened but still funny.

Smudger

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2024, 04:39:56 pm »
So are ply lining and racking a mod for plummers and the like
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Ggh

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2024, 05:24:41 pm »
So are ply lining and racking a mod in for plummers and the like

Roof rack?
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

Tam1872

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2024, 07:15:12 pm »
While I totally agree with your position soupy your posts read like you removed the tank to avoid the insurance company seeing in the van I hope I read that wrong

What would be the problem if he did?. It’s just a tool at the end of the day, other tradesmen remove the tools they use for there jobs in situations like this with no questions asked.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2024, 07:34:47 pm »
Unfortunately, you modified your van. It's that simple!

No I didn't.
"
"The tank was secured with 2in steel angle bolted to the vans fixing points and with a spreader plate under the floor"

Yes you did.
Comfortably Numb!

Soupy

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2024, 07:51:09 pm »
Unfortunately, you modified your van. It's that simple!

No I didn't.
"
"The tank was secured with 2in steel angle bolted to the vans fixing points and with a spreader plate under the floor"

Yes you did.

No I didn't.

The tank and frame were removed leaving no trace.

Nothing was modified / changed / interfickered / altered / etc and so on.

Smudger

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2024, 11:30:33 pm »
While I totally agree with your position soupy your posts read like you removed the tank to avoid the insurance company seeing in the van I hope I read that wrong

What would be the problem if he did?. It’s just a tool at the end of the day, other tradesmen remove the tools they use for there jobs in situations like this with no questions asked.

Lets be clear here - I don't regard a tank as a mod - bolted in or not - in fact insurance companies should be grateful that a tank is secured properly.

The issue is THEY class it as a mod - if you change your van/car after an accident to alter it ( ie replace bald tyres ) you run a risk of insurance fraud and not getting future insurance

Soupy said he had permission, and been paid out - so alls well
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Tam1872

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2024, 09:35:32 am »

Lets be clear here - I don't regard a tank as a mod - bolted in or not - in fact insurance companies should be grateful that a tank is secured properly.

The issue is THEY class it as a mod - if you change your van/car after an accident to alter it ( ie replace bald tyres ) you run a risk of insurance fraud and not getting future insurance

Soupy said he had permission, and been paid out - so alls well

I crashed and wrote of a van before, took the tank out before it was collected and they didn't ask what was in the back when I was driving.

Roy Harding

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2024, 03:41:07 pm »
I spotted this in the paper a few weeks ago.

"If the dash cam has been wired in, then it's classed as a car modification and needs to be declared to your insurer. This is because some elements of the car have been changed, and your insurer needs to know if your car has been altered in any way.

Soupy

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2024, 03:45:30 pm »
I spotted this in the paper a few weeks ago.

"If the dash cam has been wired in, then it's classed as a car modification and needs to be declared to your insurer. This is because some elements of the car have been changed, and your insurer needs to know if your car has been altered in any way.

Haha FFS I've got trackers and dash cams wired in to all my vans.  ::)roll

Not a modification.

Something should be done about these grifters.

Roy Harding

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2024, 05:47:26 pm »
I know I have a hardwired tracker.

But they do say it could void your insurance, absolutely crazy.

Splash and dash

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2024, 08:40:28 pm »
That’s always been my worry which is why i use Alexander Swan & tell them everything.

Have you met Alexander? Have you run a claim through with him? Do you have someone you deal with directly?

My broker is called Al. We clean his windows.

I have met the owner of Alexander swan and it’s a woman called Sarah , never had any issues with any of our vehicles which have declared modifications ie tank , pole racks boilers etc

Spruce

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2024, 09:06:00 pm »
So are ply lining and racking a mod for plummers and the like

Ply lining? That's a very good question.
It's fitted after manufacture, so it should be a modification. It reminded me of the fitter who fitted ply lining kits to 900 Berlingo vans ordered for a major fleet order back in 2001/2 and supplied out of a Citroen dealership in Sheffield. The fitter used the wrong length of screws and puncturered 900 fuel tanks. That was definitely a modification of 900 fuel tanks.  ;D

Racking is a modification, as is a roof rack and tow-bar. Insurance company (Aviva) specifically asked me that and advised they were modifications.
My water tank is also a modification. I was asked if it was professionally fitted. I said I fitted it myself and was professionally fitted. That was good enough for the lady asking the questions, but I would expect it to be queried if I made a claim.

Interestingly, I fitted the tow bar and roof rack myself as well, but they never asked if those were professionally fitted. I've put that thought in my 'ammo-box' if I ever need it in the future.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2024, 09:38:36 am »
Ply lining, roof bars etc are classed as modifications. A different stereo is a modification also, as is additional lights etc. Anything you add to a vehicle, other than what it left the factory with, is classed as a modification. So, fitting bolts, angle iron and spreader plates to your van is without doubt a modification.
These are the facts, argue about it amongst yourselves!🤣🤣
Comfortably Numb!

Splash and dash

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2024, 05:08:18 pm »
Ply lining, roof bars etc are classed as modifications. A different stereo is a modification also, as is additional lights etc. Anything you add to a vehicle, other than what it left the factory with, is classed as a modification. So, fitting bolts, angle iron and spreader plates to your van is without doubt a modification.
These are the facts, argue about it amongst yourselves!🤣🤣

Totally agree with this but some will argue till they are blue in the face.  Ones saying they don’t view xyz as modifications is ridiculous  it’s the insurance company that sets the rules NOT the vehicle owner , many modifications if declared don’t  increase the premium anyway they just want to know about them .