This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Soupy

Crash tested
« on: July 16, 2024, 02:02:08 pm »
One of my lads was kind enough to crash test one of our vans today.

46mph into a parked Ssangyong Musso. Airbag deployed, van written off - pulled 5.02G according to the tracker.

Tank didn't budge.
A fully paid up  memeber of the blue pill community

Smudger

Re: Crash tested
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 02:09:15 pm »
Is that a tank you fitted yourself ?
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Soupy

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2024, 02:12:40 pm »

Yes. It was at 9:48am so pretty much full. 650l tank.

michael mckeary

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 02:45:32 pm »
That's the reason I went for a Grippatank system which is crash tested. I wonder if the Musso is also written off with all the weight hitting it?

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2024, 02:59:11 pm »
Great result (NOT the Crash) but your securing of the tank is as good as grippa
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Soupy

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2024, 03:14:37 pm »
That's the reason I went for a Grippatank system which is crash tested. I wonder if the Musso is also written off with all the weight hitting it?

Certainly didn't look to be. Hit the towbar.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2024, 03:26:25 pm »

Yes. It was at 9:48am so pretty much full. 650l tank.

Tell us how you fitted it please?

In my prang about this time last year I reckon I hit the side of a car straight on as he crossed my path. I reckon about 20mph at point of impact. My tank (self fitted - 650L full - first thing in the morning) didn't budge either.

No airbags went off but one headlight, bonnet and radiators (a/c and engine coolant) were bent and punctured.
It's a game of three halves!

Soupy

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2024, 09:09:52 am »
Apologies for the delay in replying to this thread. It's been complicated and I didn't want to discuss it online until the matter was concluded with the insurance company.

I've always argued that tanks in a van are not a modification. Due to some complications with how the insurance on this particular van was set up - I was unable/unwilling to argue with the insurance company when they said the van was modified.

As a result, the insurance company did not pay me properly for a 8 month old 7k mile van which they wrote off (I could have fixed it for around £3-4k) I got most of the money but the loss of control meant I lost a few grand on this one.

The tank was secured with 2in steel angle bolted to the vans fixing points and with a spreader plate under the floor.

My advice to all of you is to use an insurance broker for all of your insurance needs, a local one, one that you can meet face to face and that can understand your business and have eyes on what you have and how you use it. Someone that when the brown stuff hits the fan, you can contact directly to discuss the best way forward.

Not some god awful internet form and call centre that takes hours to get through to and one wrong click can cost you thousands.

Don't get me wrong, if I'd have been in a position to argue, I'm confident that I would have won. Unfortunately the position I found myself in, I may have lost the lot so I kept my mouth shut (on the advice of my broker - who did not arrange this particular insurance).

Simon Trapani

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2024, 11:11:49 am »
That’s always been my worry which is why i use Alexander Swan & tell them everything.

Tam1872

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2024, 11:12:56 am »
Can see both sides of the argument on the modification side tbh, on the one side, how could you think bolting something to the floor with a spreader plate that will impact the overall performance of the vehicle as not a modification, on the other side, you could be driving about with a piano in the back all the time which would also have the same effect, but ones a modification and ones not, it shouldn’t matter what’s the back, aslong as its within the payload and not enhancing the vehicle in anyway, then it shouldn’t be an issue.

Soupy

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2024, 11:19:34 am »
Can see both sides of the argument on the modification side tbh, on the one side, how could you think bolting something to the floor with a spreader plate that will impact the overall performance of the vehicle as not a modification, on the other side, you could be driving about with a piano in the back all the time which would also have the same effect, but ones a modification and ones not, it shouldn’t matter what’s the back, aslong as its within the payload and not enhancing the vehicle in anyway, then it shouldn’t be an issue.

It's a van, doing van things. Vanning. Going about it's vanny existence.

Before the vehicle was taken away everything was removed. It took around 5 minutes. Similar to any other trade.

It's not a modification.

Tam1872

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2024, 11:22:14 am »

Before the vehicle was taken away everything was removed. It took around 5 minutes. Similar to any other trade.

It's not a modification.

How did they know it had one in it then?.

Soupy

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2024, 11:26:21 am »

It's not a modification.

How did they know it had one in it then?.

The driver told them it was there.

He's an honest lad, I'll give him that.

Soupy

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2024, 11:30:21 am »

The vehicle is no more changed due to the carrying of a tank than it is to the fitting of mats on the footwells, raptor/protectacote to the floor, pole rack on the roof, shelves or a roof rack.

Soupy

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2024, 11:33:55 am »
That’s always been my worry which is why i use Alexander Swan & tell them everything.

Have you met Alexander? Have you run a claim through with him? Do you have someone you deal with directly?

My broker is called Al. We clean his windows.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2024, 01:29:05 pm »
I’ve had 2 claims with Alexander Swan Soupy. One was not my fault, the other was my employee’s fault. No problem either time.

I agree  totally with your argument Soupy.  I’ve said that before on this forum. But they make the rules, rightly or wrongly & I don’t want them not paying out & all the grief that goes with it. That’s why I play it safe & tell them everything.

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2024, 01:32:10 pm »
While I totally agree with your position soupy your posts read like you removed the tank to avoid the insurance company seeing in the van I hope I read that wrong

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2024, 01:35:11 pm »
Unfortunately, you modified your van. It's that simple!
Comfortably Numb!

Soupy

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2024, 01:51:12 pm »
While I totally agree with your position soupy your posts read like you removed the tank to avoid the insurance company seeing in the van I hope I read that wrong

Absolutely not. They were informed that the tank was there prior to my removal of it.

The tank was removed so I could refit it to another van. The issue that I had (the reason I couldn't argue) was that, while I owned the vehicle I was not the registered keeper nor was I the insured party.

Edit - Now I think back, I was instructed by the insurance company to remove everything prior to them retrieving it.

Soupy

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2024, 01:51:27 pm »
Unfortunately, you modified your van. It's that simple!

No I didn't.