This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

colin bird

Price increase
« on: July 11, 2024, 06:25:03 pm »
Hi guys thanks for reading apologies if this is a bit long winded but please bear with me as I value your feedback and help
I’m coming 63 and been window cleaning for 16 years all wfd  have increased my prices every 3 to 5 years last increase was 12months ago ,I have approx 440 customers most six weekly .(I’m based in the south )
Last increase some by £2 most increased by £1
How often do you increase your prices ?
I’m looking at increasing them next April  ( so approx  20 months since last increase )by the same amount as above.but a bit concerned that customers will feel I’m taking the P what do you think ?
I’m not concerned if I lose a few as due to age I’m trying to earn the same amount but work less
Thanks for reading any help much appreciated.

dazmond

Re: Price increase
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2024, 06:34:54 pm »
Usually every 2 or 3 years....

Every year is too often IMO.if it's a 2 monthly job that's means a price increase every 7th clean....
price higher/work harder!

tlwcs

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 07:00:20 pm »
Just increased all mine, 300 customers with no loses. Less than 10 went up by £1 the majority by £2  with a few £3 to £5.
Like you I’m 6 weekly and in my early sixties and infrequent increases.
In the price increase text I put what it was to the new price but also put in “ that’s a £24 increase per annum”
I found it takes away the “it’s going up by £3 a visit” as £24 over the year seems less!
Good luck, it’ll be fine.
Tony

deeege

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2024, 07:57:37 pm »
In your situation I’d 100% put prices up again, by a good chunk too. More money for less work would be key at your age.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

michael mckeary

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2024, 08:16:42 pm »
As I know most of my customers I have a price I am happy with. If its a hard clean or not a nice customer then I put the price up hoping they cancel. In the end, if I was 63 then I probably wouldn't have a price rise and leave it to the person I sell the run too when I retire in 4 years. It all depends on your circumstances and what you are charging and what the opposition is charging. I am probably the most expensive windy in my area so its difficult for me to charge more. A guy tried to sell me his run with 200 odd customers and I asked what he was charging? He told my £7 a semi and he couldn't believe I was charging £11 so there was no way I was buying it, only difference was I ran with hot water.

Rob.Hall

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2024, 08:55:40 pm »
I'm south.
Price increase every year for me.
Don't get left behind on prices.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2024, 10:07:56 pm »
I have been putting my prices up by 10 - 15% this last year.  Anything over about 2 years since the last one. (which was a pound or two)

My reasoning/patter goes thus.

Since Putin invaded Ukraine prices have risen much more than in pre-covid and covid years. So I look at prices in 2020 compared to now.

The cost of living has risen by over 20% in the years 2021/2023.

State pension has risen by a similar amount. (Most of my customers get state pension)

20/21 £175.20 per week
22/23 £185.15 per week
24/25 £221.20 per week

So a rise of over  26%

Between 2020 and now Diesel has gone from about 119p per litre to 149 per litre.

Another rise of 26% (it peaked higher in the autumn of 2022!)

I have had no cancellations whatsoever. I had one email query which I will put up in the next post. They haven't cancelled.

Just remember your insurance increases.

Put your prices up!
It's a game of three halves!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2024, 10:11:23 pm »
Incoming email ...

Dear Malcolm

Thank you for your note advising us of your increase in charges.

Based on an eight-week cycle we calculate that our annual average spend on window cleaning will now go beyond two hundred pounds a year to £214.50.  Not only does this break the £200 “barrier”, but it is also beyond the budget we had set for ourselves for window cleaning.

However, for the time being, we would like you to continue to clean our windows and we are prepared to agree to the proposed price increase.

Going forward we shall review market rates and may need to consider taking on this job for ourselves.

This is probably unwelcome news to you, but our thinking is based entirely on the cost implications and not a reflection on the quality of the service you have provided to us.

Regards

My reply ...

Dear

Thank you for your e-mail advising me of your deliberations and qualified acceptance of the new rate of £33.00 per 'clean'. On the note I left I think I wrote that it has been over four years since a price increase - indeed upon checking my records it will have been five years this month.

In these inflationary times I hope upon reflection that you find the uplift reasonable and agree that I have tried to ameliorate the situation by raising prices 10% in a period where the cost of living index has risen by a fraction over 20%. (according to my interpretation of the ONS statistics over the past five years or so)

However, if you should decide to go elsewhere or take on the task yourselves, I shall understand completely your desire for budgetary prudence; but I do hope that you will continue with my service.

Best wishes,

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2024, 09:17:24 am »
Incoming email ...

Dear Malcolm

Based on an eight-week cycle we calculate that our annual average spend on window cleaning will now go beyond two hundred pounds a year to £214.50.  Not only does this break the £200 “barrier”, but it is also beyond the budget we had set for ourselves for window cleaning.

However, for the time being, we would like you to continue to clean our windows and we are prepared to agree to the proposed price increase.

Going forward we shall review market rates and may need to consider taking on this job for ourselves.

This is probably unwelcome news to you, but our thinking is based entirely on the cost implications and not a reflection on the quality of the service you have provided to us.

Regards

My reply ...

Dear

Thank you for your e-mail advising me of your deliberations and qualified acceptance of the new rate of £33.00 per 'clean'. On the note I left I think I wrote that it has been over four years since a price increase - indeed upon checking my records it will have been five years this month.

In these inflationary times I hope upon reflection that you find the uplift reasonable and agree that I have tried to ameliorate the situation by raising prices 10% in a period where the cost of living index has risen by a fraction over 20%. (according to my interpretation of the ONS statistics over the past five years or so)

However, if you should decide to go elsewhere or take on the task yourselves, I shall understand completely your desire for budgetary prudence; but I do hope that you will continue with my service.

Best wishes,

I've never had such a long winded email/text ever off a customer in 31 years!

They either except the new price or not.personally i wouldn't get involved in replying with such a detailed explanation!
price higher/work harder!

Stoots

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2024, 01:54:05 pm »
Incoming email ...

Dear Malcolm

Regards

My reply ...

Dear

Best wishes,

Haha that all sounds rather posh

Up here I just get a "no worries mate" or a "no problem love"  ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2024, 05:10:26 pm »
Incoming email ...

Dear Malcolm

Regards

My reply ...

Dear

Best wishes,

Haha that all sounds rather posh

Up here I just get a "no worries mate" or a "no problem love"  ;D

So do I. This was the only query out of about 100 customers.

Billy clarke

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2024, 06:34:52 pm »
Ameliorate. What does the mean . ? Sounds good . Come on Malc. I cant be arsed looking it up . I’m just having my tea . In northern speak please.

dd

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2024, 10:07:28 pm »
Incoming email ...

Dear Malcolm

Regards

My reply ...

Dear

Best wishes,
I think my reply would have been along the lines of "I think it best we part ways amicably as i do not want unhappy customers"
Last thing i want to do is work for someone who begrudges paying me.

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2024, 10:56:27 pm »
As you can see everyone does it differently - as a business you need to keep up with costs/inflation and above all make sure your bottom line improves year on year

to me yearly is too often, as 8 seekers are only 6 cleans ( however as I type - you can go into Tesco and beans could go up from one week to the next! )

We go for every other year - on the increase year I try to make it double inflation so we are "in front" so to speak this coming April will be a severe increase as a typical 3 bed newly quoted is 3 to 5 pounds higher than one I took on 8 years ago even with increases - this tells be I have not been brave enough to get the right prices.

On a side note - p/w jobs I have priced then added 30% to what I would charge this year and they are still going for it without a second thought.

With everything else so much more expensive I think a bit of cleaning can look a very good price/bargain

I think most of us get the jitters when prices need to go up - but thats an "US" problem - it always goes better than you think it will
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2024, 10:51:59 am »
Incoming email ...

Dear Malcolm

Regards

My reply ...

Dear

Best wishes,
I think my reply would have been along the lines of "I think it best we part ways amicably as i do not want unhappy customers"
Last thing i want to do is work for someone who begrudges paying me.

I used to take things more personally but I view it as I do if I am shopping around for say insurance. It's not personal, just business.

I quite enjoy explaining the reason for my increase and if they accept it - which they have - that's fine.

If they don't that's fine too.

I've been twice since so I think he has accepted the explanation.

The wife is fine. Tips me at Xmas and said last time 'don't tell Mr. Grumpy (hubby)'  ;D

colin bird

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2024, 09:13:50 am »
Many thanks gents for all your replies and feedback all very much appreciared

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2024, 11:24:26 am »
Ameliorate. What does the mean . ? Sounds good . Come on Malc. I cant be arsed looking it up . I’m just having my tea . In northern speak please.

Make better.

Andrew4444

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2024, 12:19:55 pm »
I always put my prices up every year.  The customer will be getting a yearly wage increase or pension increase so I think they expect it to go up.

How much is up to you but I tend to increase by £1 for jobs under £40 and £2 for jobs over

never lost a job due to price increase

Stoots

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2024, 12:21:28 pm »
I've put prices up a few times now and I always get nervous.

But there's nothing worse than when you think I will play it safe and put every up a £1...then you lose only a couple and kick yourself thinking could I have got away with putting them all up £2

michael mckeary

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2024, 01:23:17 pm »
I took on a mid terrace for a tenner a month. Nightmare as its 70 feet from the road but he couldn't get a windy cleaner. I did the first clean last week and not really worth my while. Got a text today saying he has found someone cheaper so he's cancelled. Best news I've had all week and I think I will start a review and drop nightmare cleans. Someone has put flyers through the doors where I clean and he has obviously jumped. Maybe the tide has turned and folk are looking after their pennies now. As I do other things like yesterday and today building a flat pack shed I don't need more customers. This customer received two free sheds and I'm building one and they sold me the other one for £200. Sometimes a low paying job becomes a good paying job in the end as I have a buyer who will want me to build it for them.