This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Itfc2016

building a business
« on: July 10, 2024, 10:44:57 am »
would like some advice on how to move forward been a one man operator for 14 years but want to progress to 3 vans can you tell me the pit falls and best way to get started

KS Cleaning

Re: building a business
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 12:21:29 pm »
Biggest issue will be staffing. You will go through about 5 boys to get one good un. Then the good un will see the light and set up on his own. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 12:33:10 pm »
In a rush, so brief.

Have a search for the words "franchise", "franchising" and "franchisor" on this site and read through the threads that come up.

Have a search for "employing", "employer" and "employ" and do the same.

Those are your two basic options and there's a ton of great information on here.

Vin

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 02:39:24 pm »
Biggest issue will be staffing. You will go through about 5 boys to get one good un. Then the good un will see the light and set up on his own. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

🤣
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Tam1872

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2024, 03:09:27 pm »
So after 14 years of building up work You have gained enough for yourself.  So how long do you think it's going to take to build the work for 3 vans ?.  If your to busy and want to grow then take 1 person on to work with you until that workload gets to much and repeat the process.

Don Kee

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2024, 04:05:19 pm »
So after 14 years of building up work You have gained enough for yourself.  So how long do you think it's going to take to build the work for 3 vans ?.  If your to busy and want to grow then take 1 person on to work with you until that workload gets to much and repeat the process.

Who says it’s taken 14 years to build for one man?
Might of just been happy on his own for a few years…

Stoots

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2024, 04:35:59 pm »
Staff will always be the sticking point. The rest is easy, pour money into advertising, clean it and repeat forever. ..if we could clone ourselves we would all have 100 vans on the road.

Problem is staff, many have ventured down this route but only a few thick skinned individuals continue down the road. The rest of us realise life is too short to deal with the stress.

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2024, 06:36:53 pm »
Quite right donkey - I initially read it as took 14 years to get to this point - thankfully I haven’t posted a sarcastic comment 🤣
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

michael mckeary

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2024, 08:19:07 pm »
Most of the folk I know with 2 or 3 vans say they end up making less money. Constant headache from staff and customers and eventually go back to working for themselves. I have a gutter clear day tomorrow and have 4 to do mostly with the Vac. Good earner but I will take care of the equipment and wouldn't trust employing anyone to use it. If you can head for just below the Vat threshold then it would be hard to beat by adding another van. I knew a guy who spray painted cars and vans in a big shed at the side of his house. He was doing very well so decided to rent a unit across the road from his house. He told me he is earning far less and had to deal with staff and should have been content working from home.

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2024, 10:36:58 pm »
You will always earn less per man by employing for the simple reason you have to pay them !

but overall the kitty is far bigger and of course if your like Lee Prior your not doing the work either

For some employment (although has its challenges) is better than being a one man band - others being solo suits them perfectly