This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

michael mckeary

The Purpose of a Business
« on: June 17, 2024, 04:12:06 pm »
Everyone says to turn a profit which is a no brainer.  The Professor in Business I was working for was telling me its to Create and Keep a Customer. Slowly the business will begin to grow aslong as you give customer satisfaction then you have repeat business.
Today I picked up an old clean I used to do. The woman was wanting someone with a squeegee to clean her windows so I left her to her own device. Today she was saying she couldn't find anyone or he never came back and can I do them again. I said okay and bumped the price up a pound as I do another in the tenement. Every day is a school day.

deeege

Re: The Purpose of a Business
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 05:19:51 pm »
 Cool story   8)
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 05:36:55 pm »
A WHOLE £1
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 06:15:43 pm »
Many reasons to build a business, being your own boss, being self employed, taking time off whenever you want. The list is almost endless really.

JandS

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 07:02:58 pm »
For me it's the ability to work when I want at my hours.......the means to be able to wake up on a morning and think "f*ck it I'm having the day off it's too nice a day"
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

DJW

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2024, 07:56:46 pm »
Mind your own business.

Bungle

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2024, 09:01:42 pm »
Fell off a cliff when the price rise of a quid was mentioned. Bet she was happy as Larry with that. You had her in your palm and you blew it imo.
We look at them, they look through them.

Stoots

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2024, 11:13:14 pm »
I cleaned a new un the other day, when I got there the husband greeted me with a rather aggressive "how much is this gonna cost me" and "my boody wife didnt tell me about this" he then proceeded to stand at the front door smoking a fAg with the door open behind him and all the windows open. So I said I'll start at the back... he came round moaning the previous window cleaner did them once and never came back. Meanwhile in thinking yep I'll be doing exactly the same   ;D. Chap had no teeth either.

True to form I got the money off him (whilst he told me how extortionate it was and that he would be having a word with his missus)  rolled on out of there and chalked him off cleaner planner that evening.

Hope that is relevant to the topic michael

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2024, 08:24:41 am »
I cleaned a new un the other day, when I got there the husband greeted me with a rather aggressive "how much is this gonna cost me" and "my boody wife didnt tell me about this" he then proceeded to stand at the front door smoking a fAg with the door open behind him and all the windows open. So I said I'll start at the back... he came round moaning the previous window cleaner did them once and never came back. Meanwhile in thinking yep I'll be doing exactly the same   ;D. Chap had no teeth either.

True to form I got the money off him (whilst he told me how extortionate it was and that he would be having a word with his missus)  rolled on out of there and chalked him off cleaner planner that evening.

That's Facebook customers for you.....🤣👍
price higher/work harder!

Slacky

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2024, 09:44:01 am »
Ain’t that the truth.

Soupy

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2024, 03:16:41 pm »
A WHOLE £1

It's relative.

£1 on a £1 job is a 100% mark up.

Think on.

Gringo

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2024, 12:10:00 pm »
Well done Michael in your £1 a month pay rise, it's inspirational to hear real success stories in this cost of living crisis any plans on what your going to do with the money??

michael mckeary

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2024, 03:14:39 pm »
Fell off a cliff when the price rise of a quid was mentioned. Bet she was happy as Larry with that. You had her in your palm and you blew it imo.

I follow a guy on Utube and he always says, focus on 1% gain everyday in your business. He is correct, these small gains like the pound adds up to £12 a year. Okay not alot but if you have the Bottle to add a pound to every customer then that's your diesel covered for a year. I'm kind of at an advantage because my father was the richest man in Paisley in the 80,s so the bank manager told my mother. It was all my fault making him rich but that's another story.

Tip to anyone interested :- Before bed write down your plan of action for the next day and remember to take the list with you when you set off. I do this now so I can pick things up when I'm out window cleaning. It saves alot of time and money and you just work off the list.
Another money magnet is looking at your customers gutters when cleaning their windows. If you see weeds growing from them then you write on the card, £60 to clear out your gutters and they will probably send you a text to do it. I have done half a dozen this week when I'm cleaning their windows but clear gutters first before cleaning the windows. 😉

Bungle

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2024, 08:07:55 pm »

I follow a guy on Utube and he always says, focus on 1% gain everyday in your business. He is correct, these small gains like the pound adds up to £12 a year. Okay not alot but if you have the Bottle to add a pound to every customer then that's your diesel covered for a year. I'm kind of at an advantage because my father was the richest man in Paisley in the 80,s so the bank manager told my mother. It was all my fault making him rich but that's another story.

Tip to anyone interested :- Before bed write down your plan of action for the next day and remember to take the list with you when you set off. I do this now so I can pick things up when I'm out window cleaning. It saves alot of time and money and you just work off the list.
Another money magnet is looking at your customers gutters when cleaning their windows. If you see weeds growing from them then you write on the card, £60 to clear out your gutters and they will probably send you a text to do it. I have done half a dozen this week when I'm cleaning their windows but clear gutters first before cleaning the windows. 😉

What if you're stuffed full with windows? I've turned down a conny roof  and fascia clean this week. Also been putting prices up by £2, £3 and £5. No cancellations so far.

Ps £60 to clear the gutters is too cheap.

We look at them, they look through them.

Tam1872

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2024, 08:21:50 pm »
Being self employed is different from having a business imo,.

windowswashed

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2024, 09:13:36 pm »
One of the benefits of running your own business is to allow yourself to decide if you want to gently tick over or build the business up and expand with other employees. I've done both and am winding down as age is catching me up and my pension kicks in next year.

Tam1872

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2024, 12:43:25 am »

Paisley ffs ? If the local beggars moved to paisley they would probably take over the richest person mantle. Pakistan is having a rock concert next week to raise funds for paisley.

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2024, 08:06:41 am »

Great if you need the work and money....its common sense....

Some of us have been window cleaning for 30+ years and are happy to mainly just service our window cleaning rounds and keep to a schedule....

I don't offer any other service if it means climbing a ladder,only the easiest conny roofs and fascias cleaning occasionally if asked and we can agree a price.
price higher/work harder!

Missing Link

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 09:22:52 pm »
.the means to be able to wake up on a morning and think "f*ck it I'm having the day off it's too nice a day"

I book jobs in, via text, email or messenger to stop me doing that.

If we take a day off it's due to the weather or it's planned.

Why?

It's just too easy to take days off in this job. ;D
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

CleanClear

« Reply #19 on: Today at 06:58:15 pm »

That's Facebook customers for you.....🤣👍

And also Facebook window cleaners............... ;)
*Status*--------Currently Online---------