This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

RPCCS

Re: An accident.
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2024, 06:09:00 pm »
Let this be a lesson to all older window cleaners that are 50+...

Dump ALL your ladder jobs.that includes that one window above a flat roof that you can't reach with the pole or any glass roofs that requires ladders to access

The truth is Matt you ll never be the same again now.the shoulder is a very complicated joint and it'll give you grief for the rest of your life at times....
Thats my next step before going back to work, just put a note through each house I still go to, telling people I can no longer climb ladders so as you say , some landing windows or above extensions unless they can be reached from insid3, will have to be missed out.
Cheers Rich

dazmond

« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2024, 06:29:46 pm »

Dump ALL your ladder jobs.that includes that one window above a flat roof that you can't reach with the pole or any glass roofs that requires ladders to access

The truth is Matt you ll never be the same again now.the shoulder is a very complicated joint and it'll give you grief for the rest of your life at times....
Thats my next step before going back to work, just put a note through each house I still go to, telling people I can no longer climb ladders so as you say , some landing windows or above extensions unless they can be reached from insid3, will have to be missed out.

I only had a handful of jobs left that required ladders for some windows and after a 75 year old window cleaner I used to work for in 1992 fell off last Dec I told my customers I wouldn't be cleaning them awkward windows anymore....they were fine about it and i still clean their windows.only 2 jobs dumped
price higher/work harder!

Martin Lane

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2024, 06:41:04 pm »
Hi I had shoulder surgery last August I snapped two tendons in shoulder and pulled the bicep off the bone, had op 4.30 hours was in a sling for 3 months not allowed to move it, then physio every week for another two months, after that physio every two weeks for 4 months I was told by surgeon I will not be able to work for 6 months and not be allowed to lift anything heavy for min 12 months.
Now a year later all good I still get pain if I over do it most of our work is commercial so lots of big poles  which I still have to be very careful with, the hardest part was trying to sleep with a sling on with a foot wide cushion underneath it   

Martin

dazmond

« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2024, 06:49:01 pm »
Hi I had shoulder surgery last August I snapped two tendons in shoulder and pulled the bicep off the bone, had op 4.30 hours was in a sling for 3 months not allowed to move it, then physio every week for another two months, after that physio every two weeks for 4 months I was told by surgeon I will not be able to work for 6 months and not be allowed to lift anything heavy for min 12 months.
Now a year later all good I still get pain if I over do it most of our work is commercial so lots of big poles  which I still have to be very careful with, the hardest part was trying to sleep with a sling on with a foot wide cushion underneath it   

Martin

How did you snap 2 tendons in your shoulder? and pull your bicep off the bone?sounds absolutely horrible....glad your on the mend mate....

Martin Lane

« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2024, 07:01:26 pm »
I had one tendon rubbing on some arthritis in the shoulder the other one was due to 25 years using big poles apparently having your arm above your head all day using poles is not good for it   

dazmond

« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2024, 07:44:18 pm »
I had one tendon rubbing on some arthritis in the shoulder the other one was due to 25 years using big poles apparently having your arm above your head all day using poles is not good for it

Really?I thought an injury like that would be caused by a fall or extreme trauma to the area?

That's why I keep going the gym.it does wonders for your tendons and ligaments and keeps them strong as well as protecting them with muscle 💪

Slacky

« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2024, 08:29:27 pm »

Why 50+.

No-one wants, needs or should have an accident of this nature, whatever their age.

Slacky

« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2024, 08:30:55 pm »

It also means keyhole surgery is out of the question.

dazmond

« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2024, 11:17:04 pm »

Why 50+.

No-one wants, needs or should have an accident of this nature, whatever their age.

I've fell off ladders a few times but I was in my 20s....I was fine not even a broken bone

50+ I don't think I would've been as lucky

Slacky

« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2024, 12:05:27 am »
But you could've broken your back.

Just because you didn't doesn't by any means mean it couldn't happen.

I was very lucky to survive, it doesn't mean I down-play the severity of the accident because I didn't die.

Dave Morris who used to moderate on here broke his leg by mis-stepping off a set of steps.

dazmond

« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2024, 09:07:09 am »
I do know of guys shattering their heels and damaging their backs falling off ladders the way I did...I guess I must just have stronger bones/tougher ankles...

Slacky

« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2024, 09:35:10 am »
Just lucky.

We’ve all fallen off ladders, stepped off them in an unfamiliar way, nearly got caught out. Most of the time none of us gets hurt. Occasionally it happens, on that occasion you were probably just lucky. Dave Morris didn’t break his leg stepping down 8” because he has weak bones.

Having strong bones, ligaments, muscles has frankly nothing at all to do with it in 90% of cases.

RPCCS

« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2024, 12:01:46 pm »
I do know of guys shattering their heels and damaging their backs falling off ladders the way I did...I guess I must just have stronger bones/tougher ankles...
When I first started  my own self employed back in 1989,  I didn’t wear work clothing or steel cap shoes or boots, just  trainers.
I was 3/4 the way through a fairly big house, climbed the ladder with the wash and squeegee in back pocket, wash the window and went to get the squeegee from my rear pocket and  didn’t grab the ladder , then I started falling off the ladder, land on the ground on my feet, and immediately bend my knees to stop any more damage.
My parents came  and collect me and went to hospital, the x ray show I had broken the heel  in three places, so although my leg wasn’t plastered, it was bandaged up and I was off work for 6 months.
Cheers Rich

DJW

« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2024, 06:13:44 pm »
I broke my neck ten years ago. I’ve never looked back.

dazmond

« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2024, 06:54:34 pm »
Just lucky.

We’ve all fallen off ladders, stepped off them in an unfamiliar way, nearly got caught out. Most of the time none of us gets hurt. Occasionally it happens, on that occasion you were probably just lucky. Dave Morris didn’t break his leg stepping down 8” because he has weak bones.

Having strong bones, ligaments, muscles has frankly nothing at all to do with it in 90% of cases.

I reckon it does...weight training defo helps along with good nutrition

Soupy

« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2024, 06:59:49 pm »
I broke my neck ten years ago. I’ve never looked back.

Cracking.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

dazmond

« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2024, 07:04:42 pm »
When I first started  my own self employed back in 1989,  I didn’t wear work clothing or steel cap shoes or boots, just  trainers.
I was 3/4 the way through a fairly big house, climbed the ladder with the wash and squeegee in back pocket, wash the window and went to get the squeegee from my rear pocket and  didn’t grab the ladder , then I started falling off the ladder, land on the ground on my feet, and immediately bend my knees to stop any more damage.
My parents came  and collect me and went to hospital, the x ray show I had broken the heel  in three places, so although my leg wasn’t plastered, it was bandaged up and I was off work for 6 months.

Both times I fell off ladders was from first floor height (and the ladder slipping down the wall)a horrible feeling!I landed on my heels both times which shocked my spine,I'm also a heavy chap so it was a big jolt!

No broken ankles,heels,etc

No damaged vertebrae

I know 2 window cleaners who have done exactly the same and they both walk with a limp(years after the accidents)due to reconstructed heels and pins in their ankles.... :(

DJW

« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2024, 08:18:07 pm »

Both times I fell off ladders was from first floor height (and the ladder slipping down the wall)a horrible feeling!I landed on my heels both times which shocked my spine,I'm also a heavy chap so it was a big jolt!

No broken ankles,heels,etc

No damaged vertebrae

I know 2 window cleaners who have done exactly the same and they both walk with a limp(years after the accidents)due to reconstructed heels and pins in their ankles.... :(

So you were a body builder in your twenties?
I’d sue the gym.

lal

« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2024, 10:01:07 pm »
Hey Matt,
hope your recovery is going well and your slowly getting back to good health again,
wishing you all the best on your new life in Canada.

Best regards
Larry

Slacky

« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2024, 10:32:47 pm »
Thanks Larry.

The move to Canada has been made. Not ready for work yet though. More physio required on the shoulder. It’s getting there but apparently shoulder surgery is very unforgiving. So, it takes time.

It became a little more understandable when I saw the orthopaedic surgeon just before I left explaining the severity of the surgery required. I broke my leg 20+ years ago and was up and mobile within weeks. This is now I guess 10 weeks since the accident and my shoulders mobility is pretty dire. It’s way better than it was from 2 months ago but probably only operating at about 50%.