This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Slacky

An accident.
« on: June 05, 2024, 04:14:21 pm »
Monday I was cleaning  the buildings I do on a large estate. 2 days work every 8 weeks

One of the jobs is cleaning about 15 velux windows on the roof of a one storey building, so about 8’ from ground level.

I had cleaned all the windows except the final one which was covered in pigeon poo and required lots more time and effort to get it clean. If this hadn’t have been the case I would’ve finished the windows, climbed down and be safe as house.

But as it happened the prolonged period of time up there meant eventually I stepped in a small patch of wet roof and it was at this point that I fell.

I lost control as soon as my foot slipped and I fell down the roof and off it, landing on the ground on my head/back/spine and ribs.

I was lucky to survive. Really lucky. I was knocked out and came to with various members of the estates staff gathered round me trying to help in any way possible.

I was whisked to hospital, in and out of consciousness, heaving, and not in a good shape at all.

In time they x-rayed me.

I have 4 broken ribs, my right shoulder is broken is two places and I have a bleed on my brain.

I was expecting to retire in about 3 weeks. This has without doubt brought that forward and to be honest I would’ve said this would never have happened to me as I’m safe as houses at work.

It was one slippery roof tile under one wet boot.

Still in hospital currently.

I’m expected to make a full recovery and some of that will be in Canada but the truth is I could easily have died landing the way I had.

Soupy

Re: An accident.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2024, 04:20:42 pm »
Sorry to hear that Matt.

All the best and speedy recovery.

Slacky

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2024, 04:26:11 pm »
Sorry to hear that Matt.

All the best and speedy recovery.

Thanks Stuart.

Gringo

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2024, 04:45:59 pm »
Wow  ,what a way to end your cleaning career, take care fella and rest up, hope your soon on the mend Matt.

Slacky

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2024, 04:54:47 pm »
I know. I started off my window cleaning by breaking my leg three weeks after first climbing a ladder.

I’ll take this as a hint

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2024, 04:56:34 pm »
 :o

So glad it wasn't any worse! (Bad enough mind.)

Wishing you a really speedy recovery, Matt.
It's a game of three halves!

EandM

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2024, 05:10:48 pm »
That sounds awful!

Wishing you all the best and a rapid recovery.

robert mitchell

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2024, 05:30:37 pm »
Hope you have a speedy recovery , all the best .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

robbo333

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2024, 05:34:54 pm »
You're lucky, that could have been much worse! That's your 'retirement call', so a speedy recovery and a peaceful retirement.
Best Wishes.
Robbo
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Splash and dash

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2024, 05:37:08 pm »
Hope you make a speedy recovery and enjoy retirement in Canada , unfortunately theses things can happen that’s why having both feet on the ground is much safer we won’t work on roofs anymore due to this type of accident. All the best for the future.

windowswashed

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2024, 06:46:10 pm »
Sorry to hear of your accident, get well soon and  happy early retirement. Get rid of your ladders so temptation is gone.

markymark

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2024, 06:59:28 pm »
Best of luck in a speedy and total recovery, and I hope you're out of hospital sooner rather than later and ready for your escape to Canada.
The good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not.

dd

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2024, 07:00:50 pm »
Best wishes.

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2024, 07:20:29 pm »
Someone must have been looking out for you as it could have been so much worse

Wishing you speedy recovery and a happy/safe life in Canada
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

michael mckeary

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2024, 07:35:22 pm »
Thanks for sharing this with us. Just goes to show, no one knows what can happen in a split second. The Fire Service was telling us that most fatalities are from falling from heights. Good to hear you are okay.

Slacky

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2024, 07:38:35 pm »
I was having a similar conversation on a FB local village group about a guy going up on roofs. I said it only takes one nail failing, one loose tile, just one unplanned mis-hap.

Two weeks later. It was me.

NBwcs

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2024, 07:53:46 pm »
Wishing you a full and speedy recovery. Sounds like you got very lucky.
 I always remember talking to a paramedic who said how much luck is involved in falls. He attended to a football fan who had climbed onto the stand roof at Carrow rd Norwich and fell from a great height to the concrete terrace below. (it was actually shown on match of the day back in the late seventies). He was carted off to hospital and incredibly walked out the very next day. The very next call the paramedic attened was for a builder who fell off a 6ft wall. He died!

Bungle

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2024, 08:38:04 pm »
It just goes to show how at risk we all are even when we think it's safe.

Any trick nurses?
We look at them, they look through them.

Rob.Hall

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2024, 10:46:33 pm »
Which hospital Matt?
Hope you are not in to much pain.

DJW

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2024, 10:47:11 pm »
Broken ribs are great fun. I would advise not reading any Dazmond posts as laughing isn’t great. (sneezing is even worse). Have fun sleeping in the chair for the next six weeks.
Mend quickly.