This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Perfect Windows

Misty pane repairs
« on: December 18, 2023, 06:51:21 pm »
I notice there are a few companies offering a service to repair blown units.

Does anyone have any experience of customers who have had it done? Did it work? Did it last? Were they happy?

I'm not really looking for opinions, just real-world experience.

Vin

Splash & dash

Re: Misty pane repairs
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 07:41:08 pm »
I notice there are a few companies offering a service to repair blown units.

Does anyone have any experience of customers who have had it done? Did it work? Did it last? Were they happy?

I'm not really looking for opinions, just real-world experience.

Vin

Do you mean repairing blown units or replacing blown units ? I wasn’t aware that they could be repaired, unless it’s a very big pane most can be replaced for £60- 100 with up to a 10 year guarantee, that would be the route I would go down  . I had a few replaced on a property I own and was surprised how cheap replacement units were. 

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 07:54:59 pm »
😂
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Perfect Windows

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 07:59:02 pm »

Do you mean repairing blown units or replacing blown units ? I wasn’t aware that they could be repaired, unless it’s a very big pane most can be replaced for £60- 100 with up to a 10 year guarantee, that would be the route I would go down  . I had a few replaced on a property I own and was surprised how cheap replacement units were.

I mean repair. I saw a leaflet a while ago that a customer had received. They claimed to drill a couple of holes in the glass, dry out the condensation inside and reseal.

Just wondering if anyone has real-world experience of it.

Vin

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 06:24:01 am »

I mean repair. I saw a leaflet a while ago that a customer had received. They claimed to drill a couple of holes in the glass, dry out the condensation inside and reseal.

Just wondering if anyone has real-world experience of it.

Vin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJDJaRvuLI0&t=95s

I guess the only way to find out is to call them to repair a misty window and see how well it works.

IMHO they aren't solving the real reason for why the problem occurred in the first place, a leaking gasket. But then that polymer coating might mask or counteract the original problem.

They will also rely on the fact that most misty windows are south facing, so do warm up (and cool down) with the sun's rays; creating a 'breathing' action.

I wonder how washing the windows with wfp will affect the window.

The Window Doctor replaced a couple of our neighbour's glass windows as they had blown. The large bedroom window under double openers cost her £80 which she was happy with.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

zesty

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 06:58:44 am »
Much easier to replace the glass…

tonyoliver

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 07:33:11 am »
Amazing how many times we are told you caused this it wasn’t like this before you cleaned the windows

Stoots

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2023, 05:05:03 pm »
I know they can be cleared doing what you describe with the drill as my dad did it to one of his on a garage window. Its only a temporary fix though as it will mist up again eventually. Like spruce says you aint curing the problem just the symptom.

Ched

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2023, 05:13:52 pm »
Replacing the panel will be better insulation wise as the Argon that is supposed to be in the gap is there to aid insulation.
Just drilling, draining the water and applying a solution won't help with insulation and I doubt they can repair toughened glass (i.e. any glass that's below 0.8m from floor level I think should be toughened

These repairs are a bit of a bodge in my opinion.

matthewprice

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2023, 05:42:19 pm »
Thought they drilled a hole through the spacer bar Washed it out then re sealed the  unit . Can’t imagine it’s that much cheaper than  an average size new unit

DJW

Re: Misty pane repairs New
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2023, 04:54:15 pm »
I had a bad experience with Misty Pain once. Took a long time to clear up.