This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

richard connett

Bolt down hose reel advice
« on: December 07, 2023, 07:33:42 am »
Ok so I’ve gone from working with reel outside the van to bolting it inside ( yes I know about time and all that!)
Biggest downside is that I want to be able to pull out the hose  in whatever direction I want without scraping the van or it getting caught. I’ve been toying with the idea of hose rollers but can’t quite get my head around it before I start cutting the van up. Also thinking of some type of protector or something to guide the hose on the barn doors
What’s the general consensus ? any pics would be appreciated

NBwcs

Re: Bolt down hose reel advice
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 09:17:34 am »
You could always mount it on a piece of wood rather than attach it to the van. Heavy enough not to move in the van but light enough to manoeuver when you need to. I only have to remove the reel once now where i have houses in a row off a footpath. Makes life easier whilst not causing me a problem in the van for the rest of the round.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 10:14:25 am »
You just need to change your parking practices.

Splash & dash

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 01:16:40 pm »
Depending ware you mount the reels in the van you can put floor rollers in at the side if the floor and the hose will pull in front of the van no problem

Stoots

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 03:48:33 pm »
Better with an old van

I got a new van and its slowed me down having to be carefull pulling the hose out. Ive tried under van rollers and an arm etc but none of it works perfectly.

When i had my old van i just walked in any direction and dragged the hose round the doors or down the side of the van it was a lot easier

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 03:53:21 pm »
I think its all bit overkill myself - holes in the floor - rollers - too overcomplicated.

I have found that the best thing is to reel out the amount of hose needed ( say 20 meters ) just behind the van then walk to job as the hose is already out there is no tugging or rubbing.

Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Splash & dash

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 03:53:33 pm »
Better with an old van

I got a new van and its slowed me down having to be carefull pulling the hose out. Ive tried under van rollers and an arm etc but none of it works perfectly.

When i had my old van i just walked in any direction and dragged the hose round the doors or down the side of the van it was a lot easier

All our vans are new and by doing the floor rollers as I have shown  the hose can be pulled in front of the van without any issues or causing damage to the vehicles paintwork also the hose is on the ground so no trip hazards

Splash & dash

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 03:56:02 pm »
I think its all bit overkill myself - holes in the floor - rollers - too overcomplicated.

I have found that the best thing is to reel out the amount of hose needed ( say 20 meters ) just behind the van then walk to job as the hose is already out there is no tugging or rubbing.

If you get the floor roller set up right and are doing dozens of houses a day it makes the working day so much easier and you do a fair bit more work , if just doing an odd house here and there then it won’t make such a big difference, w3 have found it well worth the effort

richard connett

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 04:11:07 pm »
That looks good splash  thanks for the picture . Do you have another roller on the side or on the bumper to take the hose away from the floor/tire ? And do you attach a protector ball or something to be able to grab the connector as you walk away

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 04:11:42 pm »
the odd house ?

bit presumptive of you ....

personally I would find  constantly disconnecting the pole on re winding more off putting  - or worse still having a loop of hose hanging under the van and in through the back door.

each to their own  ;)

Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Splash & dash

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2023, 04:27:26 pm »
That looks good splash  thanks for the picture . Do you have another roller on the side or on the bumper to take the hose away from the floor/tire ? And do you attach a protector ball or something to be able to grab the connector as you walk away

Yes hopefully the pictures are self explanatory m as we use hot water the hose connects into a return to tank hose that’s under the bumper ,

Splash & dash

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2023, 04:30:55 pm »
the odd house ?

personally I would find  constantly disconnecting the pole on re winding more off putting  - or worse still having a loop of hose hanging under the van and in through the back door.

each to their own  ;)

Yes some only do a few houses per day .
You still have to wind the hose in what ever method you use so that is no different.
Takes seconds to disconnect the pole and reconnect to the return to tank
Thought you did more pressure washing than window cleaning ?

richard connett

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2023, 05:03:34 pm »

Yes hopefully the pictures are self explanatory m as we use hot water the hose connects into a return to tank hose that’s under the bumper ,
Ahh ok I get you it’s one of those hd roller thingys

Splash & dash

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2023, 05:09:28 pm »

Ahh ok I get you it’s one of those hd roller thingys

Theses ones were from Grippatank but water works do a similar version go for the newer ones if  you get them as they are much better and a bigger gap between the rollers

richard connett

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2023, 05:16:05 pm »
I’ll take a look at waterworks , looked at pretty much everybody else

Splash & dash

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2023, 05:42:40 pm »
I’ll take a look at waterworks , looked at pretty much everybody else

Theses are the water works ones they aren’t cheap but are very good

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2023, 06:25:00 pm »
I have two Claber reels. The one out the side door is screwed to the ply on top of my tank.

The one I use most out of the back sits in a wooden tray (Fixed throught the van floor with 4 short 10mm hex head self tapping bolts) I have made which snugly fits the base tubes of the reel. It is about 60mm deep and the reel sits in it. If the angle is right and I am happy for the doors to be open I pull the hose straight out the back.

Or I can lift the reel out and angle it in any direction by virtue of the fact that the hose feeding the reel is long enough.

Because I use reinforced pole hose on my reels they weigh much less than microbore and are easy to lift in and out. Because the hose is much thinner than microbore I can hold up to 35 metres in one hand, already pulled off the reel before going to the first (if any) pinch point and walking to where I want to work on the property.

Edited:
It's a game of three halves!

richard connett

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2023, 06:34:49 pm »
Best of both worlds ! I’m a bit behind the curve on this one , I’m sure you’ve all had this conversation before  but I appreciate the ideas

KS Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2023, 10:47:55 pm »
I have two Claber reels. The one out the side door is screwed to the ply on top of my tank.

The one I use most out of the back sits in a wooden tray (Fixed throught the van floor with 4 short 10mm hex head self tapping bolts) I have made which snugly fits the base tubes of the reel. It is about 60mm deep and the reel sits in it. If the angle is right and I am happy for the doors to be open I pull the hose straight out the back.

Or I can lift the reel out and angle it in any direction by virtue of the fact that the hose feeding the reel is long enough.

Because I use reinforced pole hose on my reels they weigh much less than microbore and are easy to lift in and out. Because the hose is much thinner than microbore I can hold up to 35 metres in one hand, already pulled off the reel before going to the first (if any) pinch point and walking to where I want to work on the property.

Edited:
Hi Gold, I was thinking of adding pole hose to my electric reel myself, but I have a few reservations about it becoming a trip hazard as it doesn’t lie flat on the floor like micro bore. Have you had any issues with this, any problems with the pole hose going across roads? So pole hose coming out your back doors ( now now ) and running at 90 degrees across a road, isn’t there a risk that the hose can ride up a bit off the ground near the back doors and risk getting caught up in a cars wheel arch?

Smudger

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2023, 11:40:16 pm »
the odd house ?

each to their own  ;)

Yes some only do a few houses per day .
You still have to wind the hose in what ever method you use so that is no different.
Takes seconds to disconnect the pole and reconnect to the return to tank
Thought you did more pressure washing than window cleaning ?

like most things you thought wrong  ;D

but you know compared to you were all part timers  8)