van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

JandS

Window scratched
« on: October 06, 2023, 08:23:47 pm »
Is there a way of possibly getting rid of a scratch on a window.....I'm prepared to pay for replacement if not but thought I would go down the repair route first.......rested brush on wall while I went to van for something and when I came back pole was on deck, probably the wind......never thought anything about it.......owner came home today and noticed scratch on kitchen window and checked cctv footage and lo and behold there goes my pole straight down the window in exactly the same place where scratch is....he's a aerial and security camera installer and a nice guy so can't really complain.........he even said  I didn't know it had damaged it so no bad feelings.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Soupy

Re: Window scratched
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 08:55:11 pm »
You can get it polished out but it leaves a warped "fishbowl," effect.

Replace it and move on.
A fully paid up  memeber of the blue pill community

Bin Juice

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 11:55:49 am »
It really depends how deep the scratch is and what size the window is, if you run your fingernail over the scratch and it catches this would be classed as deep and would take a lot more work to remove .
 A shallow or surface scratch can be polished out much easier ,i use a Flex polisher  with 3m trizact discs with 3m glass polish
for repairs . A shop / commercial  window costing hundreds even thousands of pounds will pay  from £180 a repair .
 whereas  domestic windows are more often than not cheaper and quicker to replace

matty72

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 01:11:55 pm »
I got rid of scratch once, polished it out with a drill, took a while was a massive window so worth it, from memory the rule was, run your finger nail over scratch, if finger nail stops in scratch replace if it goes straight over might get rid of it. good luck if its smallish window i would replace.

matty72

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 01:13:12 pm »
just read message above, same message ;D ;D

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 02:27:47 pm »
As said depends on depth of scratch - I’ve done 2 they take some time I found dremel best with felt bobs

Get a kit off eBay they do work
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

matthewprice

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 04:09:06 pm »
By the time you buy the things you would need and spend time trying to remove the scratch . Guess it wouldn’t cost too much more to get a replacement done professionally . Which you might have to do if you can’t remove it yourself

JandS

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2023, 10:07:16 am »
It's roughly 800 x 380 not sure how much that would be.

Ched

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2023, 12:27:46 pm »
It's roughly 800 x 380 not sure how much that would be.
From an online supplier about £70 delivered. Try ringing round a local company but you will need to know the thickness and if it's below 800mm from the floor as if it is it needs to be toughened safety glass at extra cost.

JandS

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2023, 09:06:36 pm »
 No it's above 800mm ...around 1300mm.

matthewprice

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2023, 09:52:19 pm »
Have bought double glazed units around that size . 100£  plus £50 fitting local joiner  . If it took you two hours to polish plus time getting all bit needed and cost for these  . Not much difference in cost . And if customer isn’t satisfied you are going to need to replace the unit.