van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

Re: Do you give yourself holidays ?
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2023, 08:42:44 am »
It goes in fits and starts with me.

The longest holiday I ever had since window cleaning was to Bali for 15 days followed by 9 days in Corsica. And two separate weeks in Tenerife.

As my mother in law lived on Tenerife for thirty years my wife and daughters occasionally went on their own.

We did Disneyland Paris and some camping in France by driving too. Long weekends in camping barns in the Lake District with the kids and friends.

We have a Caravan in Malvern too.

Since 2012 when my eldest two got married, my youngest went to Uni and we had COVID I have only been abroad for three 4 or 5 day breaks. Budapest in winter 2017, then Tenerife last November and Barcelona this January.

I also did three straight years of Canoeing for 5 day stints on the Wye, the Spey and the Caledonian canal to Loch Ness.

Now we have a dog it's going to be UK again for a while.

So in answer to the original question, as and when. Lots of long  weekends.

Made a conscious decision to have a few week long breaks going forward.
It's a game of three halves!

james peters

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2023, 09:40:05 am »
I don’t take holidays either. Passport has run out too.
Prefer weekend breaks in uk. Can’t stand the hassle of flying etc only to sit by a pool for two weeks doing nothing. Been there done it, just find it boring waste of money to be honest. Most med countries are pretty much the same. Most package type holiday makers seem to all come out of the same mould!

This is exactly how I  feel.    I used to love holidays abroad when I was younger..... I just seem to have changed the past few years.
I now prefer weekends away ,friday to monday  .

we do have 2 border collies now as well so this dictates  what we do to some extent because I dont like to leave them .
we probably do around 6/7 of these  a year

we stay in caravans..... timber lodges or holiday cottages
I did go abroad 2 years ago but that was ti ireland .

sometimes I spontaniously take a few days off  or a week just to gather my thoughts  and have some me time .

Stoots

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2023, 09:50:46 am »
I like going abroad when i get there but the travelling with kids is a nightmare. Even then though 7 days is plenty, im usually ready for coming back after 3 or 4 days. 

Overall though i dont think its really worth the hassle and money spent,   you are talking at least 2k for a very basic holiday abroad and we are all just as happy in a caravan for a week for 500 quid.

I think going abroad will be somehthing i enjoy in later life hopefully when you can just mooch about and relax a bit more rather than having to try to constantly entertain.

dazmond

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2023, 12:48:30 pm »
I don’t take holidays either. Passport has run out too.
Prefer weekend breaks in uk. Can’t stand the hassle of flying etc only to sit by a pool for two weeks doing nothing. Been there done it, just find it boring waste of money to be honest. Most med countries are pretty much the same. Most package type holiday makers seem to all come out of the same mould!

I love going abroad....weather much better,good fresh food and I love swimming outside in the sea/pool.we chill and laze around the pool a few afternoons but we walk,my missus roller skates,cycles,I usually find a gym i frequent a few times and we go on the odd day out round the island or boat trip.i still actually like the flying bit and the eager anticipation at the airport!🙂
price higher/work harder!

Simon Trapani

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2023, 03:59:10 pm »
Holidays are everything. It’s what I work for.

dazmond

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2023, 04:50:56 pm »
I like going abroad when i get there but the travelling with kids is a nightmare. Even then though 7 days is plenty, im usually ready for coming back after 3 or 4 days. 

Overall though i dont think its really worth the hassle and money spent,   you are talking at least 2k for a very basic holiday abroad and we are all just as happy in a caravan for a week for 500 quid.

I think going abroad will be somehthing i enjoy in later life hopefully when you can just mooch about and relax a bit more rather than having to try to constantly entertain.

I've spent at least £40k in the last 11 years on holidays with the missus....

AuRavelling79

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2023, 06:15:43 pm »

Cheapskate.  ;D
It's a game of three halves!

Soupy

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2023, 09:42:37 am »
Did Australia for a month in Jan/Feb this year.

That's me off holidays for the next 10 years.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

robbo333

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2023, 05:28:02 pm »
I used to have 2 weeks in the Canaries every winter and then a few long weekends in Bath.
Mrs Window Cleaner talked me into getting a dog, which I agreed to because I didn't really think it through, (and she won't leave it with anyone) so no more foreign holidays! Now I'm quite happy holidaying in the UK, as I don't particularly like flying/crashing, but it's quite expensive, you can't guarantee the weather and I now have to find places that are 'dog friendly' and that can be a pain.
So we'll see how I get on.
On a positive note, the dog is better company than the missus and more intelligent than her boy, so happy days!
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Stoots

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2023, 05:44:41 pm »
I used to have 2 weeks in the Canaries every winter and then a few long weekends in Bath.
Mrs Window Cleaner talked me into getting a dog, which I agreed to because I didn't really think it through, (and she won't leave it with anyone) so no more foreign holidays! Now I'm quite happy holidaying in the UK, as I don't particularly like flying/crashing, but it's quite expensive, you can't guarantee the weather and I now have to find places that are 'dog friendly' and that can be a pain.
So we'll see how I get on.
On a positive note, the dog is better company than the missus and more intelligent than her boy, so happy days!

My mum has 2 dogs and we have gone on holiday with her a few times in the UK.  She wont leave them in kennels so always takes them with her.  Absoloute ballache that i wouldnt want, cant go in shops/amusements/beaches and lots of other places with them plus has to carry poo bags everywhere. Not my cup of tea at all dogs.

deeege

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2023, 07:42:46 pm »

Thought you go on 3x five star holidays a year Daz?  £3600 a year doesn’t pay for that, does your Mrs pay for the bulk of them?  ;D
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

james peters

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2023, 07:54:51 pm »

If you had kids it would be double  ::)roll

dazmond

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2023, 08:03:22 am »

Thought you go on 3x five star holidays a year Daz?  £3600 a year doesn’t pay for that, does your Mrs pay for the bulk of them?  ;D

No!she's never paid for any holidays!I think she gave me £500 one year.....

We never go abroad more than twice a year.id love to but she's too busy with her business to have too long off.we usually go on a few weekends away in this country too.

DJW

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2023, 08:59:14 am »
Weren’t you supposed to be moving in with her?

Shrek

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2023, 09:35:08 am »

That’s super cheap for 22 holidays- your 5* hotels must be 4* or 3* in disguise. When you’ve been to a hotel that has red carpet, it’s own entrance to the airport and it’s own vip lounge in the airport , then you’ll know what a real 5* holiday is like

Slacky

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2023, 07:24:11 pm »
Life’s a permanent holiday where I am.

dazmond

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2023, 04:16:20 pm »

That’s super cheap for 22 holidays- your 5* hotels must be 4* or 3* in disguise. When you’ve been to a hotel that has red carpet, it’s own entrance to the airport and it’s own vip lounge in the airport , then you’ll know what a real 5* holiday is like

I've never stayed in a 3 star hotel....only 4 and 5 stars.....🙂👍.

That week away last week as done me good.i feel fantastic and ready for the run up to Xmas now!😄

robbo333

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2023, 06:04:19 pm »
Daz, a 3 star hotel is pretty much the same as a 5 star hotel except:
People go to dinner wearing a white vest and a huge beer belly (and that's just the women).
The gentle ambience of polite conversation is replaced with screaming parents trying to get their kids to eat f'ing mushy peas.
The option of a Continental, Eggs Benedict, or grilled 'Smoked Salmon' is replaced with some German poope that includes bacon that is fatty beyond belief, sausages that look raw and cold baked beans!!
Oh...and the hot tubs don't work and it looks like someone has ped in the pool.
Seriously mate, you don't know what you're missing!
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Shrek

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2023, 07:36:57 am »

I've never stayed in a 3 star hotel....only 4 and 5 stars.....🙂👍.

That week away last week as done me good.i feel fantastic and ready for the run up to Xmas now!😄

Some hotels might even give themselves their own 'unofficial' star rating. Then, there's the matter of tour operators running their own star rating system, which can make four-star hotels look like five-star hotels to unsuspecting bookers. In fact, the problem can manifest even within one country's ratings 👍

Slacky

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2023, 05:43:01 pm »
You should try using the locals accommodation and travel when you’re abroad.

I’ve backpacked round Egypt 3 times, travelled in the locals train carriages which really was an experience. Consider this, the 3rd class tourist carriages had 3” of 5hit on the bathroom floor (flips flops was the mode of footwear employed at the time) and in with the locals class we sat on straw with goats. Travelling from Cairo to Aswan was a 24 hour trip, so using the bogs was pretty much guaranteed. Imagine having food poisoning and needing to honk up in a toilet like that.

The youth hostels were 20p a night in Cairo, you inspected the room and beds before agreeing to stay. Having a crap in Egypt was ‘interesting’ to say the least in locals toilets. They don’t use toilet paper, but there’s this ‘U’- shaped pipe sticking up, out of the toilet which squirts your ass with water after. Needless to say this pipe becomes encrusted with poop from the last half dozen punters. Often it is also decorated with toilet paper from any previous westerners who haven’t quite managed to convert to pipe squirting but still retain the traditional method of cleaning up after a crap.

Once we got a coach from Aswan to Hurghada, it was an 8 hour trip at the time. When we got to Hurghada at about 8 at night we needed to find a hotel of sorts to stay in. I picked up my rucksack which had been stored in the compartment that is accessed from outside the coach  where everything is stored under the seats. At some point during the journey the pipe from the coaches toilet had leaked its contents all over my rucksack, clothes and sleeping bag and I had nowhere to sleep or clean clothes to change in to. Delightful.

I went and had a beer.

Travel broadens the horizons.