This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

richard connett

Re: AA Breakdown Cover
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2023, 02:29:59 pm »
I have a number for a recovery service in my wallet. They will quickly pick up and take me to the garage for £100 . I’m never very far from the garage I use so don’t see the point of the extra expense . Used to have free breakdown with my Barclays rewards account  but they stopped doing commercial vehicles

mac74

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2023, 08:49:11 pm »
Ive used both the AA & RAC over the years, and find the AA are better at actually TRYING to fix it rather than just tow it away. It just depends on how decent the engineer is on the day. Ive also tried the 'included breakdown cover' with insurances in the past, and find the people they send out are just toe rags with a low loader, that don't even want to bother getting you going,  just take it to a garage. I use the AA to more or less tell me what the problem is, then get someone i know to fix it or do it myself.

I wonder if you chose AA personal cover, on a car that will cover you in ANY vehicle may be a way around it?

Ggh

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2023, 06:53:11 am »
Had a 3.5 transit recovered by AA last month. Took 12 hours to get relayed home.
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

Soupy

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2023, 11:00:40 am »
I had the wheel bearing collapse in my truck in the winter. Took the AA 10 hours to get to me.

Happy times.
A fully paid up  memeber of the blue pill community

simon w

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2024, 06:29:53 pm »
Just renewed my insurance with Alexander Swan and they have an option to include full break down cover with RAC for £80.00 per year, only covers one vehicle but commercial work vans are covered.  They insure my car also, when it's up for renewal I'll be cancelling AA and also adding this option to my policy.

windowswashed

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2024, 06:42:13 pm »
Always had AA cover.

Had a van sunk up to the floorpan whilst driving across a sandbank on a riverbank where I normally park and they informed me they would be 3hours before they could get a flatbed recovery truck to me. I was panicking as the tide was on the turn and within 6 hours it would be floating down the river out to sea if it wasn't recovered in time and the embarassment of watching my van floating away on the local news isn't good publicity  ;D Luckily they turned up on time.

simon w

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2024, 06:47:41 pm »
Always had AA cover.

Had a van sunk up to the floorpan whilst driving across a sandbank on a riverbank where I normally park and they informed me they would be 3hours before they could get a flatbed recovery truck to me. I was panicking as the tide was on the turn and within 6 hours it would be floating down the river out to sea if it wasn't recovered in time and the embarassment of watching my van floating away on the local news isn't good publicity  ;D Luckily they turned up on time.

I've been a life long member of AA but as they are no longer covering work vans I've gone over to RAC via Alexander Swans option to add to my policy.

windowswashed

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2024, 08:39:37 pm »
Always had AA cover.

I've been a life long member of AA but as they are no longer covering work vans I've gone over to RAC via Alexander Swans option to add to my policy.

Mine automatically renewed two weeks ago with AA and I'm covered with work van

Ched

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2024, 08:59:23 pm »
Always had AA cover.

Are you sure? My renewal email came through with doc saying t&c changed. When I read the 20 page document they no longer cover work vehicles unless you get a commercial policy! I rang and queried it and they gave a bull answer that it always excluded work vehicles but they didn't enforce it until renewal!
Double check the small print!

windowswashed

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2024, 09:07:59 pm »
Always had AA cover.

Are you sure? My renewal email came through with doc saying t&c changed. When I read the 20 page document they no longer cover work vehicles unless you get a commercial policy! I rang and queried it and they gave a bull answer that it always excluded work vehicles but they didn't enforce it until renewal!

Mine is covered

KS Cleaning

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2024, 10:08:04 pm »
Always had AA cover.

Ford commercial have a contract with the AA. If you get your van serviced at a Ford Centre, 12 months breakdown cover with the AA is included.

Smudger

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2024, 11:46:43 pm »
Likewise the last AA renewal stated no commercial vehicles - now with the RAC

when you got stuck did they charge you?
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2024, 06:59:19 am »
Just carry on as usual.  The AA accepted your van details knowing full well you're a self employed window cleaner.   If you need to call them out, just tell them you were visiting a friend. What can they do?
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Stoots

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2024, 07:04:53 am »
RAC don't or didn't cover commercial vehicles under their standard policy's. I found out a couple of years ago when I had to pay extra to get a van towed.

So I switched back to the AA as I knew they did. If they have now changed their rules then I don't believe either do now unless RAC have changed theirs lol

Either way I'm with green flag now as they do

simon w

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2024, 07:13:13 am »
I called them out before Christmas for a flat battery on a Custom Limited which is still under warranty, AA driver followed me to Ford dealership & fitted new battery but told me they'll no longer come out for a work van, I phoned AA next day and they confirmed. Was expensive anyway something like £300 a year, full cover with RAC now through Alexander Swan for £80 per year  8)

Smudger

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2024, 07:55:50 am »
I think that’s what we have done
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Martin Lane

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2024, 11:38:50 am »
just spoke to them, if you use your van for pleasure then you are still covered, if you use your van for work carry tools or equipment  then they now class it a as commercial policy and they will not cover you unless you have business cover
cost of two vans £180

Simon Trapani

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2024, 01:02:31 pm »
Just carry on as usual.  The AA accepted your van details knowing full well you're a self employed window cleaner.   If you need to call them out, just tell them you were visiting a friend. What can they do?

🤔Leave you there maybe?

While you’re at it, don’t mention your water tank to your insurance company either🤣

Ascjim

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2024, 01:43:56 pm »
Commercial vehicles need commercial cover, or am I missing something?

JandS

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2024, 02:32:42 pm »
They never asked me what vehicles.....just any vehicle me or the wife are in is covered.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.